Options
JB035
JB035 Posts: 336 Member
Who all meal preps? I find it's the only way to stick to it

Replies

• AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Me! My breakfasts as well as my lunch and dinner during the school week. No meal prepping equals disaster for me. I end up eating just a bag of beef jerky or eating nothing all day and then going to Moe's and eating a whole burrito bowl and chips!

This week I'm having cheeseburger casserole for lunch and dinner and breakfast muffins in the morning. So simple!
  • JB035
    Options
    I've been wearing out some ground turkey the past few days!!
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I try to prep a few things for the week during the weekend. Like a batch of quinoa or steel cut oats w/ blueberries for breakfasts and one or two dishes for lunches, then fill in snacks with yogurt, string cheese, etc. This is the only way that keeps me on track.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I do:-) I prep our breakfasts and lunches in advance. For dinner, I precut the veggies, make sauces and spice blends, and throw together crock pot meals on my prep day.

I find that meal prepping helps us eat a well rounded variety of things through out the week. We save money. Having a plan makes meal time less stressful.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Every Saturday I cook enough of whatever meat I'm eating for dinner for the week and vacuum seal it in portions. Couple that with a bag of microwaveable veggies and you have about a 10 minute cook time during weeknights. For lunch, I'm a sandwich kind of guy so prep for that isn't a big deal. Simple cereal and milk for breakfast.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I prep things more than full meals. I cook like a big batch of taco meat and chicken, slice and chop veg, cook grains etc so its easier to throw things together.
  • EmPersson
    EmPersson Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have the Evolution20 breakfast smoothie in the mornings - it's easy/great to know to always keep those ingredients on hand. We add a little serving of vanilla yogurt, and an additional banana to make it creamier (husband's request). I'm doing a meal sharing thing with a vegetarian coworker, we each prep lunches for the two of us for 2 days, the 5th day in the week we feel free to go buy something, though half the time there are working lunches and they're bought for us on that 5th day! I've been really bad with my evening meal planning, though. I've already put together my grocery list for the weekend to make next week better than this one!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I do! It's not that bad. This week was a lot of ground turkey just seasoned different ways so I wouldn't get bored. -with veggies. I also made extra pumpkin protein pancakes for breakfast this week, yum!
  • k1073
    k1073 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hate eating leftovers. I've tried so hard to like it, and be able to eat the stuff I cooked a few days ago, but I hate it so much. So I'm starting meal prep next week finally, but with lots of meals and snacks that I can just make quickly in the morning or that don't require cooking such as veggies, fruit, cheese, protein shakes, etc.
  • zingeber
    zingeber Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm working on it! For lunches, anyway. The hard thing for me is finding things I can eat repeatedly and enjoy. I could eat lasagna every day if weight wasn't an issue :D
  • ddeliciosa
    ddeliciosa Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I do! I love it! Saves me some time and there's no stress worrying about what calories are in this or that meal. I make a big thing of overnight chia seeds and coconut milk to eat throughout the week for breakfast. I alternate my weekly lunches, but it's usually some kind of protein and a veggie.
  • JB035
    Options
    If I'm not prepared I tend to make poor choices that lead to me not meeting my cals for the day. Most of the time I'll end up heavy in protein and low on my carbs. It's a complete weigh gain killer!
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    ashjongfit wrote: »
    I prep things more than full meals. I cook like a big batch of taco meat and chicken, slice and chop veg, cook grains etc so its easier to throw things together.

I go this route too, and it's so helpful!
  • alp_19
    alp_19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm pretty new to meal prepping so it would be great to get some advice from the people posting on this thread. For chopping veggies and prepping things like sauces, how do you store it all to keep it good? I prep all that I can and I plan my meals at least, but I find it hard to do things all in one day if I want the food to last. Am I being overly concerned about the food going bad? Also, are there any tools/Tupperware/products that you use that have helped you? Thanks!
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I try i get thru maybe four days then i get bored :(
  • jruck371
    jruck371 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I boil some eggs for breakfast (had with oatmeal), cut up some veggies and prep my weekday lunches (pork tenderloin with baked potato, bbq sauce and salad this week!) I either cook dinner or scrounge for leftovers
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    On Sundays I cut up veggies for the week and put my hummus into my 5 containers for easy grab and go in the mornings. I also portion out things like nuts so I dont mindlessly grab from the bag and have to stop . I boil eggs or cook chicken for my salads
  • JB035
    Options
    @alp_19
    Pick a few meats you enjoy.
    Grab some veggies you like to eat.
    I like to get things I can prepare in the oven and on the cooktop, that way I can get more done in a shorter period of time.
    Then you will need to weigh and measure everything to get your cals right.
    The MFP App helps with this because you can plug everything in first, then weigh and put in containers.

• ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting meal prepping so I'm excited and hope i can maintain the dicipline. I think it's the only way to really get nutrition dialed in being a single male and just having to cook for myself.

I bought a whole bunch of lean meats:

Extra lean ground beef
    Ground Turkey
    Chicken Breast

(Some Old El Paso taco seasoning and garlic powder for flavor and also this great chicken marinade)

I also reloaded on frozen mixed veggies usually "broccoli" and this 'Italian blend"

And then I'm going to eat basmati white rice.

☺☺☺
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I do (now)! Trying to get more organized and less tempted to get takeout drove me to meal prep. I focused first on my dinners and this has been working so awesome! My husband and I both have two options for dinner all week (for a bit of variety) and I do kind of an "almost prep" so that I can flavour my chicken or add different veggie sides. Dinner never takes more than 10 minutes to make now.

For breakfast I stick to one or two of my favs (egg sandwich or oatmeal) and for lunch it's also pretty easy (a salad and snack bar or soup and a side, etc). Snacks I keep easy too (a protein shake, piece of fruit, yogurt, etc). We do our dinner meal prep on Sundays and have freezer/microwaveable friendly containers which I love (got from Amazon). The subreddit mealprepsunday is super motivating with good ideas too :)