Girls! PMS cravings?? How to avoid them?

Options
As a girl who is starting (again) to loose weight I notice that it is really hard to not cheat during pms. My pms is usually the worst a couple days before period. I have crazy mood swings and cravings. When that happens I eat everything. I hold up not cheating till the evening.. but then.. EVERYTHING..

What's your opinion/advices? Is it okay to just let it happen?

Replies

• Shayslimmer
    Shayslimmer Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Following this post.... :)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I recognise the feeling for what it is and just iron will it. I make sure to plan my meals and stick to planned meal times with minimal snacks. It passes in a few days.
  • mharnden92
    mharnden92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I look up new recopies of sweets that are healthier so I can eat them with less guilt. There are tons of recopies for cookies and brownies and what have you that are less calories and just as yummy. I try to keep these recopies around when its that time of the month.
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    andrea4736 wrote: »
    It depends how bad the cravings are. I've identified my major trigger foods and just don't keep them in the house. Unfortunately for me, a craving for potato chips can lead to me polishing off a family size bag, lol. If I give in to every craving all week long, I can easily undo 2 weeks worth of eating healthily. I pre-log whenever cravings hit to see what the damage will be. Sometimes I can easily work it in so I do.

What a great idea. Going to try this!
  • omima07
    omima07 Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am of the everything in moderation opinion... nothing is off limits but I take a controlled approach. If I really want chips, chocolate, ice cream I allow myself that especially if it's that time for me. However, every grocery store has the option for a single serving. Those tiny ice creams ( not the pints) or a small snack size chip bag, or a chocolate bar (not a king size ) , or even a single serving size of cake...I will put it into my calories and allow myself an allowance for that day to go over maybe 200-250 calories since that would probably just be maintain for me....and when I take it home I will make myself a cup of tea to enjoy with my treat and savor to make it last longer. If it will make you feel happy for a few minutes enjoy it ;) and don't feel guilty about having a treat. It's about making healthy lifestyle choices not punishing yourself for craving salt and sugar.

I would also like to note I always try ( emphasis on the try lol) to eat my dinner before hand with a big glass of water...so that I am not starving when I have my treat that I am craving so that I don't feel like I'm still starving after I have had my chocolate or ice cream and feel the need to binge on something else that's not so healthy.

I have lost 30 pounds doing this and I have some of the worst periods ever. Good luck I hope you find something that works for you.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    There's a reason why the peanut m&ms are regularly sold out at the vending machine at work. :tongue:

In all seriousness. I budget for the PMS cravings. Now that I'm back on BC they've become a lot more predictable but hit a lot harder. There's no knuckling through them anymore. The small single servings packets of my usual cravings are lifesavers. I scratch the itch, can finish the whole package and as a bonus won't wonder where the family pack went. I usually also eat at maintenance for those 2 days (that's two of those packets of m&ms).
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I remember those days! I remember reading somewhere that extra weight can be lost during that time as long as you don't give in to the cravings. Try it and see if it's true.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    You call it cheat, is your way of now eating going to dump you? If I'm having really bad craving, I try to ignore it if I can but if it just cannot be ignored I do moderation as much as I can and either budget out some calories before/after, or eat at maintenance for a day.
    I usually get one day when I am just as mean as fudgecrackers at people right before I so I know it's about to hit. Ughhh
  • kellansmommy11
    kellansmommy11 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't really deny myself anything, I just limit myself to the correct portion. If I'm craving chocolate, I will have one or two mini Hershey's chocolate bars. If I'm craving ice cream, I have a frozen yogurt bar. I make sure it all works into my daily calorie goal.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Kick *kitten* at the gym & enjoy portioned versions of what you crave. But don't let it overtake you and completely derail all your hard work.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Here are my generic tips for cravings. # 5 and 9 are specific to PMS.

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I eat less the rest of the time because I can easily eat 500 to 1000 calories over maintenance a few days before my period.

Honestly I've had this issue for 3 years (maintaining now) and I have yet to find a way to get rid of them. I've tried magnesium supplements, even 'PMS' tea... nothing works. So I try to eat only what I crave (typically bready stuff) because it's the only thing that works... for a little time. The key really is to avoid high calorie things that I don't really crave that much, because I won't be able to stop and they will do nothing for my cravings (I often fail at that sadly). It's hard because those cravings make me feel physically ill if I ignore them, and I'm also crazy hungry at that time too.

And I try to be even more active than I usually am those days to minimize the damage.
  • sboucher0654
    sboucher0654 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The best way I've found is to use those cravings to change your bad habits. If you like sweets, try dried fruit. If you like salty food, try pistachios or other nuts. Find little alternatives to help subside those cravings. My bad habit is soda so I've been trying to drink flavored water instead and after the first few days, those cravings are almost completely gone.
  • HappyBlues
    HappyBlues Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Don't let PMS give you a free pass to over eat. I struggle with PMS cravings as well. Over the course of the last year it's gotten a little easier, but I still have some days that are worse then others. I refuse to be weaker then a food craving though.... as hard as it is, I'd rather spend the day fighting the craving then to actually give into it and wreak my diet.
  • taltakumi
    taltakumi Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    *follow*