2 Meals a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I am against something like this for a few reasons.

Consuming larger meals leads to bad eating habits, for many binging,.
    People get fat due to an over consumption of calories/food. Having higher calorie meals just reinforces these bad habits. There are many accounts of people who do this style of eating who end up binging.

" when consuming 1 meal/d, subjects had a significant increase in hunger; a significant modification of body composition, including reductions in fat mass; significant increases in blood pressure and in total, LDL-, and HDL-cholesterol concentrations; and a significant decrease in concentrations of cortisol."
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2645638/

I know you're not consuming 1 meal a day, but the point still stands. Consuming larger meals for the same calorie content affects the things mentioned in the quote above.

How can you be against a meal timing pattern? Does not compute

Studies like this are great if you want to know what might happen, but meaningless to the individual.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Op, I do 16:8IF and usually eat two meals a day. My biggest meal is typically between 11am and noon, and then I have a smaller meal around 6pm. Some days I also add an afternoon snack (3-4 times a week). This kind of eating schedule works well for me and it also helps me with my calorie adherence. No harm in trying a new schedule and seeing how it works for you-if you don't like it you can always go back to what you were doing before :)

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    natajane wrote: »
    Hello!

I'm going to switch my diet from 3 meals a day and a snack, to 2 meals a day and a snack.

Going to drop my evening meal - it's 8pm most work nights when I get to eat. My body doesn't want to eat that late, my sleep suffers for it I'm sure. So I'm going to listen to myself and swap that meal for a piece of fruit.

Then in weekends I'm going to have brunch and an earlier dinner. Again that's how I "want" to eat, just all these years I've been trying to eat how I think I "should" eat.

Interested to know though if anyone else does this too? How do you find it?

Does it help weight loss? I'm hoping it might for me. I ate what I wanted, within reason for a normal day, and I've just added it up and my calories came right on track. Was surprised!

The same amount of calories in 3 meals + a snack vs 2 meals + a snack equals the same weight loss. Split your calories up in a way that helps you function best and works with your lifestyle. If your needs are being met, you stick to your calorie goal, you feel good then there is not a problem.

I choose to eat a small breakfast, medium lunch and a bigger dinner and an afternoon/evening snack. I prefer eating most of my calories later in the day.
    Some people skip breakfast or lunch but eat their other meals normally. Some people prefer to only eat 1 big meal a day. Some people eat small amounts more frequently.

I would give it a month trial to see if this works better for you.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If it works for you then go for it. I don't know how many calories you get but the people saying there's such an extreme amount of food and calories if you divide it this way must have WAY more calories than I do. Or have never heard of calorie dense foods. Really it all comes down to what works best for you. Glad you have the insight to realize that doing what works for someone else when it isn't the best plan for you isn't the way to go. Good luck!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Op this is exactly how I eat.

I'm not hungry in the am so I have coffee.

I eat brunch anywhere between 10:30-11. Dinner is between 3:30-4.

I'm old and short so I'm on 1200 Calories. This gives me more calories per meal and allows for snacks. It also helps me control my appetite.

Of course I'm not rigid, if my husband wants to go out to eat outside those mealtimes I'm flexible, but this is how I like to eat.

• sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    natajane wrote: »

Just had a look for some research - didn't realise this was a thing, and I found this article:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/09/21/intermittent-fasting-calorie-restriction.aspx

Small thing I wanted to point out - research is great, but mercola.com is not a good source.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My issue would be hitting my calories because I don't think I could eat the way I eat and get that much volume in to hit my calories in two meals.
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hey up!

Thought i'd update this as i said i would.

I didn't stick to it. I found the social pressure to cook and eat with my husband on an evening too great. For me, food is a very social emotional thing and it wasn't working for me.

What i have done though is stop being as pedantic about how much i eat and when, i go with my own flow. I seem to have cut down how much i eat and i eat earlier, thats been really helping my sleep. Most days i'm having a big breakfast, medium lunch, small dinner. I haven't been calorie counting etc, just starting up again, but my sleep has improved greatly.

I have learnt from it to eat when i want to eat though. I don't set myself to 3 meals a day. Like on holiday, it was so hot and we were out and about, most days i was having a decent breakfast and a big dinner and just a small snack at lunch time. Here at home in the cold, i can't be without a lunch. Weird really isn't it.

I was reading a success story by a lady who's lost 230lbs, and she said about how any changes have to be things you find easy and are happy to continue to do forever. That has really stuck with me, its a lot of sense, so thats the route forward i reckon.