Oatmeal... Any ideas?

Options
Tony_Brewski
Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
Okay I love instant it's cheap it's tasty but I have this big container of Quaker Oats plain Jane stove top cooking oatmeal *cringe* I hate wasting food ...

What do you add to yours for flavors and how much?

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    The choices are endless. Almond butter and semi-sweet chocolate chips are one of my favorites. Here is a good youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_kTqkxIUpycqnCGTcbwxow
    She has a few recipes with oatmeal.
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    When I make plain or steel cut I add a container of no sugar added peaches and a little milk...peaches n cream so yummy! With steel cut it tastes a bit like peach cobbler.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    mix half a cup uncooked with a 6 oz low fat flavored yogurt= makes a thick mix- but tastes great and sticks to your ribs...
  • mcesira
    mcesira Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can add it to shakes... almond milk, chocolate protein, peanut butter... whatever you'd like in there. Also, you can add a little bit of honey and almond milk to make your oatmeal that way. Also milk and cut up bananas warmed up with the oats are delicious.

One more idea: mash up 3 ripe bananas, 2 cups of those oats, and some raisins, bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes or so. Yummy healthy cookies!

Gosh i could probably go on forever... hope these ideas help! :smile:
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Always blueberries. Apple pie spices -- nutmeg, minced cloves and lots of good-for-you cinnamon. A tiny bit of real maple syrup.
  • zrjp9
    zrjp9 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Raw honey, apples, and blueberries
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    MAKE GRANOLA!!! :heart: :smile:
    Okay I love instant it's cheap it's tasty but I have this big container of Quaker Oats plain Jane stove top cooking oatmeal *cringe* I hate wasting food ...

What do you add to yours for flavors and how much?
  • Bredaia99
    Bredaia99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning. Lately, I have been adding semi-sweet chocolate chips and shredded coconut to it. Tastes like a granola bar.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Mash an egg and a banana in a mug
    Add 1/2 cup of oatmeal
    Add berries or raisins or cocoa nibs or whatever
    Microwave for 3 minutes

Voila, microwave oat "muffin" in less than 5 minutes.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    These are some good tips.I have always hated oatmeal. But I am going to give some of these idea a shot. Maybe they will help!
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My favorite is made with almond milk, cinnamon, half a banana, a teaspoon of brown sugar or coconut sugar (if I have it) and a handful of walnuts! You can also add apples or blueberries. Oatmeal is so bland you can really add anything to it, but I like adding the cinnamon because it really decreases the need/want to add sugar.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I make them with a mix of almond milk and water and currently, raisins or dried apricots are my favorite flavor enhancer for oatmeal.
  • msimswil
    msimswil Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal - sadly the factory processing that makes instant oatmeal "instant" also flushes a lot of the nutritional value out of it. They become high-GI, meaning that they convert to sugar more quickly than regular oats. And there are all sorts of additives in instant oatmeal - scary numbers of them, depending on the brand. That's the price we pay for convenience.

I make mine with skim milk, and add a half-handful of my trail mix which contains raisins, walnuts, dried banana, dried mango.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    frozen fruit. It cools down the oatmeal as it thaws.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon and raisins
  • lilliiii2122
    Options
    I just add honey and fruit to mine... But I LOVE making oatmeal cookies!!!
  • MySweetPotato
    MySweetPotato Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Im a big BIIIIG fan of chocolate so I add cocoa powder honey and hot water then layer it with yogurt and top it up with bananas and cinamon.

Also, want to try this recipe:

1/2 cup cottage cheese
    4 egg whites
    vanilla extract
    1/2 cup oats
    Baking powder

makes pncakes. I guess I'd add honey and cocoa to that too :p haha
  • terifreywaxman
    Options
    Add vanilla protein powder, almond milk, berries and a sprinkle of chopped walnuts...delicious!
  • melindalancaster1
    melindalancaster1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    on www.skinnytaste.com there are multiple recipes for baked oatmeal to have as breakfast containing fruits and nuts and they all look very yummy i am going to buy oats just to try the banana and cinnamon one cmes out pretty solid almost like a granola bar but warm and yummy and leftovers would keep well for following days breakfasts