Desk job people!

Options
How do you stay active throughout the day, apart from your workouts? If you're counting steps, how do you get them in?

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I take the long route to the ladies room and try to go for a short walk several times a day. I work in the downtown core so even in the winter I can walk the +15 (enclosed walkways between buildings). I go out at lunchtime for a walk even if it's cold.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I take the stairs, go the long way around. I have a garmin vivfit 2 that beeps at me if I'm sitting for too long. I try to walk on my lunch a few times a week.
  • LiftingLisa
    LiftingLisa Posts: 12,345 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge 2 that reminds me to get in steps every hour. I also get two 15 minute breaks during the day so I walk on break and also take the long way to the bathroom or if I need to go somewhere else in the building.
  • 2Luverly
    2Luverly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I try to get up from my desk as much as I can to speak to my peers 3 aisles over about job related stuff.. and head to the water dispenser 4 aisles over at least 3 times a day. I try to stagger my printing and scanning that I need to do as well so that I need to walk to the printer room a few times a day. I recently started taking the stairs (6 flights to my floor) three times a day and complete 4 days a week if I can. I tend to avoid doing the stairs first things on Monday morning as I have my laptop, a bag full of paper work, my lunch bag and a purse. I head up the stairs in the morning as I come in for the day. Once before I have my lunch and once more mid afternoon. I get approximately 11000+ steps in a day but I must admit just over half come from my brisk walks that I try to do every day (40-60 minutes). I really want to start aiming to have at least 5500 steps in before I leave the office for the day and i'm wondering how the heck I can improve on that. It's not easy when your behind is stuck at a desk or a meeting room a lot of the day. I am lucky in that from time to time I'm at construction sites or outside doing field visits whereby I can get A LOT of walking in. Unfortunately, thus far this year after I've switched territories there is less of that. :/
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I take the stairs (never the lift) and walk to work, if you drive could you park far from the building or get public transport or cycle? Theres also desk exercises that you can do but I never practice what I preach on that front. Also take walks outside of the office during break times and don't eat at your desk. Good luck. :)
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I'm actually thinking about getting one of those under desk peddlers. Staples has them and you can also find them on Amazon. They range from like $60-150. I want to see if my company will pay for it in the name of employee wellness. I will need to raise my desktop up about another 6 inches though. Even though they are low profile, my desk right now doesn't allow much room for me to lift my legs up in a peddling motion.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I take walks up to three times per day. I take one at 10 a.m. for about 15 minutes (one mile or so), then again at lunch and again around 3pm. If I can't fit them in then no big deal but I try to make them a priority and I even put them on my work calendar so I get a pop up reminder to get up and walk.
  • christys03
    christys03 Posts: 22,785 Member
    Options
    I workout 7 days a week to counteract working a desk job.....just part of the journey, and figuring out what works, & doesn't....
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I too have a desk job, I got a Fitbit Alta for Christmas and it reminds me 10 minutes before the hour to get in at least 250 steps... I drink half my weigh in water so by that time I am ready to go to the bathroom anyways so I go to the bathroom farthest from my desk and while I am in there I will walk in place at a moderate pace for at least 200 steps. It literally take only a few minutes so its not like I am away from my desk that long. I also take a walk at lunch time, usually 20-25 minutes and of course any steps I take during the course of the business day. When I leave the office I have usually anywhere between 5k-6k. My step goal is 10k so I usually jump on the treadmill for a 30-45 minutes after dinner to get to that 10k... on the days I do zumba I hit that step goal quick. Just be mindful of how long you are sitting when at work. And if you are like me, I am very competitive with my fit bit... LOL
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have a standing desk so I stand at my desk several hours each day. I drink a liter of coffee and a liter of water during the day at work so I have to walk to the restroom several times a day. I also have to walk to the kitchen several times to get my coffee and water. If I'm really ambitious I take the elevator to the first floor for the restroom then climb the stairs back up to the 5th.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    bgh707 wrote: »
    How do you stay active throughout the day, apart from your workouts? If you're counting steps, how do you get them in?

I drink a LOT of water so I'm getting up to go to the bathroom once an hour. BUT, I am active enough in the morning at the gym so steps truly don't mean much to me. I also used to walk on my lunch breaks if it was nice out.
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Since I don't smoke, I take "mental health" breaks instead and walk around the campus (I work at a college) catching pokemon lol
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »
    I have a FitBit Charge 2 that reminds me to get up and move each hour. It tracks steps as well. I also drink a lot of water, so that makes me get up even more. :)

This. Except I try to avoid the water since our bathroom is gross. I am also on the 3rd floor and try every couple hours to run to the 5th floor...just enough steps to get my heart rate up but not enough to make me feel like i'm dying...ok maybe just a little dying
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Stretching at my desk. I googled some stretches that I can do at my desk. I especially have to stretch my hamstrings, especially the day after leg day. I try to get up and walk around every hour but that doesn't always work. On warmer days (I live in Ohio) I drive to a nearby park on my lunch hour and walk for at least 20 minutes.

I don't count my steps anymore so I don't have to worry about that.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water so I have to pee a lot. I also have a water bottle that is the right size to make me get up at least 4 times to refill it (ice maker is one floor down).
  • bigtiger60
    bigtiger60 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I get the hourly reminder on my Alta too. Most of the above sneaky step techniques mentioned above have been used at some point in time. I drink waaay too much coffee therefore I need to pee a lot :D
    Another favourite of mine is going to the filing room and accidentally lifting the wrong file!! Ooops! Then going for the correct file.