What is your routine for a good night's rest?

Options
What is your routine for a good night's rest? I drink herbal tea, don't look at electronics and it doesn't always help. I hear that sleeping well helps with weight loss, so I am at a loss at the moment. I went to bed at 9:30 pm, but was awake most of the night. I need help and would appreciate any advice.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5:30 in the morning. By 9:30 at night I am ready to sleep. If I have trouble it is usually due to stress or just an over active mind. I like to listen to some calming mantras or music on youtube. It gives you something to focus on other than the stress.
  • bhwalsh1
    bhwalsh1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wake at 5am and try to be in bed around 9:30. I agree with Lizzy, over active mind and stress has kept me awake far more than I'd like. There some good meditation videos on Youtube that you can listen to, they're about 10 minutes long and you just listen to the person talking and do as they say and you'll be relaxed in no time. Even if you can't fall asleep just try and lay still. You're mind can be active but as long as your body gets the rest it needs you'll soon fall asleep. also try and time your sleeping patterns with your REM cycles.
  • veronicav0502
    veronicav0502 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bhwalsh1 wrote: »
    I wake at 5am and try to be in bed around 9:30. I agree with Lizzy, over active mind and stress has kept me awake far more than I'd like. There some good meditation videos on Youtube that you can listen to, they're about 10 minutes long and you just listen to the person talking and do as they say and you'll be relaxed in no time. Even if you can't fall asleep just try and lay still. You're mind can be active but as long as your body gets the rest it needs you'll soon fall asleep. also try and time your sleeping patterns with your REM cycles.

I do wear a watch to track sleep, but I'm not sure what to look for. I just know my light sleep is longer or about the same as the motionless sleep. I'm up by 4:30 am, but on weekends I sleep in until 6ish. I'll try the meditation tonight.
    I also have tried melatonin, but that does nothing to me and I have tried sleeping pills, but I hate pills and the way it makes me feel in the morning since they do not work all the time.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    1- hide all the damn jingley ball toys that the cats play with 2- day dream in my head- like insert myself into an episode of my favorite tv show
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    1- hide all the damn jingley ball toys that the cats play with

LOL, but yeah. The feather "flippies" are put away, too, as one of my cats likes to try to bring it onto the bed. Between the noise of him trying over and over and over and if/when he finally gets it on the bed and starts playing? Just, no.

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I avoid doing anything which might give me a guilty conscience ;)

Srsly - I don't have a problem with dropping off but MrsStealthHealth does. She tells me that it's hormonal but we have noticed that dimming the lights, no laptops or ipads, and a late night carb/snack seems to help.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I eat a large meal that includes alcohol shortly before bed. I watch TV and play with electronics up to the minute I go to bed and once in bed, I fall asleep with the TV on. I sleep like a baby.

I think the reason is that I learned to manage stress.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I try to exercise most days, and read a little bit before bed to relax me.

I just went to a retreat where a sleep expert did a session with us, and one of his recommendations was to not actually think about trying to fall asleep or how much you need to go to sleep. I've tried this trick a few times on the nights where I was having trouble sleeping, and sure enough as soon as I stopped focusing on falling asleep, I finally did. :)
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
  • veronicav0502
    Options

I just went to a retreat where a sleep expert did a session with us, and one of his recommendations was to not actually think about trying to fall asleep or how much you need to go to sleep. I've tried this trick a few times on the nights where I was having trouble sleeping, and sure enough as soon as I stopped focusing on falling asleep, I finally did. :)

I'm going to have to try to break that habit! lol. I kept saying to myself, "All I want to do is sleep!" So what do you focus on? Usually all other random thoughts of the day come streaming by if I'm not thinking about wanting to sleep.
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    jmp463 wrote: »
    zgyc413fz334.gif

This works every time!!! A few shots and it's off to la la land!! (and not the movie) lol
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    No routine, but if I really want to pass out quickly, I topically apply some Jergens. :D
  • veronicav0502
    edited February 2017
    Options
    BaddS4 wrote: »
    zgyc413fz334.gif

This works every time!!! A few shots and it's off to la la land!! (and not the movie) lol

I guess I won't make it to work everyday if I do that! lol
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    BaddS4 wrote: »
    zgyc413fz334.gif

I guess I won't make it to work everyday if I do that! lol

Well don't go overboard and drink half the bottle..lol..(done that)

Maybe just a single nightcap a half hour before bedtime.. ;)
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options

I'm going to have to try to break that habit! lol. I kept saying to myself, "All I want to do is sleep!" So what do you focus on? Usually all other random thoughts of the day come streaming by if I'm not thinking about wanting to sleep.

It's a hard habit, lol! I usually "daydream" about favorite books/movies/etc. Or re-live happy memories. Basically relaxing thoughts until my mind is distracted enough for me to fall asleep. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I try to get up and go to bed at the same time every day.
    Going to bed too early, sleeping in or napping during the day usually equals a more sleepless night for me.
    I try not to read or view or talk about upsetting or exciting things before bed.
    I usually spend some time kind of meditating or daydreaming before going to sleep to help my brain relax.
    White noise machine goes on.
  • veronicav0502
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I try to get up and go to bed at the same time every day.
    Going to bed too early, sleeping in or napping during the day usually equals a more sleepless night for me.
    I try not to read or view or talk about upsetting or exciting things before bed.
    I usually spend some time kind of meditating or daydreaming before going to sleep to help my brain relax.
    White noise machine goes on.

Thanks! I am going to try keeping the routine during the weekends too.
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not much help. I lay my head on the pillow and fall asleep lol. I am one of "those" people who can fall asleep in 2 seconds. However, I didn't always used to be this way. Once I started a regular exercise routine (workout at home, after work every day) I have no issues falling asleep.
  • emmarrgh
    emmarrgh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I try to have a happy-thought that I can think about. Sometimes if my mind wanders randomly, anxiety kicks in and I remember that horrible/embarrassing thing I did 10 years ago and I inwardly cringe and then I'm wide awake again. So I have to focus on one happy thing. Right now it's how amazing our powder room/mud room will look when it's all renovated :)

I also find that it takes a few days of the 9.30pm bedtime before I fall asleep quicker, like my body needs time to adjust. I use a sleep tracker and I was in bed at 9.30 for 3-4 nights in a row before I got more than 6-7 hours of sleep. Last night I got 8.5 hours of sleep, and 2 hours of deep sleep - my best yet!
  • veronicav0502
    Options
    FoxyMars25 wrote: »
    I'm probably not much help. I lay my head on the pillow and fall asleep lol. I am one of "those" people who can fall asleep in 2 seconds. However, I didn't always used to be this way. Once I started a regular exercise routine (workout at home, after work every day) I have no issues falling asleep.

Good to know because I used to be one of those who would knock out as soon as my head hit the pillow. Well now that I am starting a new routine, I'm hoping things will improve.