What to do when you hit weight loss plateau?

Options
Scale not dropping anymore any tips on what to do.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    A week or two: keep at it, as it's just a stall
    Longer than two weeks: tighten up logging. This may include any of the following: logging EVERYTHING that you consume (including cooking oils, marinades, condiments, and drinks with calories), weighing all foods on a scale and measuring all liquids in cups, double-checking that the entries chosen match the food's nutrition label or USDA's database, utilizing the recipe builder over "homemade" or "generic" entries, and being mindful of exercise calories burned/eaten back
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I get more accurate with my logging. 100% of the time that has been my problem. I make sure I'm using my food scale for ALL solids, measuring cups/spoons for all liquids. Use the recipe builder. Use accurate entries. Log EVERYTHING I consume. Etc.
  • webcray
    webcray Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Normally when I hit the plateau I change up my routine. if I was doing a ton of cardio I would switch it up to using a rowing machine and light weights for a couple weeks. it usually starts the ball rolling again. it also helps with weight loss to incorporate weight training in your routine. remember during the time of the plateau your scale may not be changing but your other body measurements will be, make sure to log these measurements to see the changes. Good Luck!
  • nachynach56
    nachynach56 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's been about two months already. Thinking about increasing cardio but don't wanna loose to much muscle
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Make sure your logging is as accurate as possible. Check that your body scale is functioning: check batteries.

But most importantly have patience.
    Scale not dropping anymore any tips on what to do.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It's been about two months already. Thinking about increasing cardio but don't wanna loose to much muscle

If it's been that long, you need to drop calories in or increase calorie out. In general a good guide for dropping calories in/increasing calories out is after 3 weeks of no losses for a man and one full menstrual cycle for a woman (e.g., compare Day 1 of one cycle to Day 1 of the next cycle.) For post-menopausal women, I would still wait 4-6 weeks.

If you are performing proper resistance exercise and eating enough protein your muscles will be fine.
  • nachynach56
    nachynach56 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everybody. I will try and see how it goes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,008 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    lorrpb wrote:
    Look at the flow chart that will show up soon.
    Tada

v1yqeer2xutz.jpg
  • Kawaiidesu808
    Kawaiidesu808 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are in your dieting, but it helped me to just change up my diet. I was eating salmon for dinner most nights when I hit a plateau. I changed to chicken and it helped me to get over that plateau. It also helps me to increase my fiber supplement intake when my weight starts plateauing. I take a fiber powder supplement in the morning and fiber gummies at night.