losing weight for the military needs tips

Options
Howdy ,
I'm on a journey to lose weight to enlist, I'm 5'2 and need to be at 144lbs or at most have 34% body fat to enlist in the army. I'm looking for the best workouts/ machine that will enable me to lose inches/weight the most. Thank you

Replies

• slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    As suggested, eat at a defect and add in exercise similar to what you would be required to do if you enlist. That would be my plan anyways.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You can't out exercise a bad diet. Watch what you eat, and work on components of the PFT - Push ups, Sit ups, Running. Throw some lifting in there and something you enjoy so it's not torture. Also - you can Google what the basic workouts are like so you can get a good start on that.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I agree with push ups - I did a lot of those before I enlisted. You'll be tested on push-ups, sit ups, and 2 mile run time, so I'd focus on those too.

Eat at your calorie goal for your target weight loss, and try to balance cardio and strength. If rifle PT is still a thing in Basic, you'll want that endurance. Good luck!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for losing weight. But definitely look at what you're going to need to do in Boot Camp as far as exercises and start working on those now. RUN RUN RUN - my son just joined the air force and I can't even tell you how many people wait until they get to Basic Training to start working out so they get all kinds of injuries from running, can't do their push-ups and sit-ups and get held back for fitness - or kicked out all together. Also I don't know if it is the same for the army but I am assuming it is - my son needed to be 10 lbs under the weight max for his height - they need you to have the wiggle room if you're having an up fluctuation day or anything when you get to MEPS.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what is your weight now? what is your timeline for joining? (have you talked to a recruiter yet?)
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thank you for enlisting :-)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Howdy ,
    I'm on a journey to lose weight to enlist, I'm 5'2 and need to be at 144lbs or at most have 34% body fat to enlist in the army. I'm looking for the best workouts/ machine that will enable me to lose inches/weight the most. Thank you
    what is your weight now? what is your timeline for joining? (have you talked to a recruiter yet?)

Eat at the deficit you need to attain your goal weight, under the max allowed, no later than two weeks before you are due to report. ALSO, be sure you can pass, at least (max would be ideal), ALL aspects of the physical Fitness Test. You do not want to be struggling to pass that test, nor any aspect of it. Unless you like having your butt kicked 24/7 ;-)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Eat less food and pick a type of exercise you enjoy. A caloric deficit is the only way to lose fat
  • AbelMendoza
    AbelMendoza Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said, calorie deficit. If you're enlisting (I'm in the Marine Corps), RUN. The fitness standards are a bit more relaxed in the army so it's not terribly hard to pass but, the higher your scores are on your APFT and whatever else the army has, the better you look for promotion. If it's the same kind of scoring system with army, max, max, and relax. Max your push ups or pull ups (we do pull ups, unsure of army), max your sit ups and you can relax a little bit on the run.
  • nowNOTthenmylife
    nowNOTthenmylife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your tips and advice. Very helpful
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    As suggested, eat at a defect and add in exercise similar to what you would be required to do if you enlist. That would be my plan anyways.

and run.
    A lot.