Best times for cardio/weights if splitting into two workouts?

Options
I'm working towards playing hockey again. And while I've been working out regularly for years and I'm in good shape, I'm not in hockey shape. So I have to have a solid mix of cardio and strength. I have my workouts figured out and know what to do with them. But I'm going to start splitting them into two workouts a day again (neither session will last more than 45 minutes). My work has a gym, but it doesn't have a whole lot in it for strength training, and the dumbbells only go up to 50 pounds. So my plan is to do my cardio there and then weight training at a regular gym where I can really get after it.
For a long time, I've been doing my cardio and strength training in my work gym all during the same 90 (or so) minutes. My plan going forward is to do the cardio work around 10:30 am, it will be minimal impact cardio like the elliptical and Arc trainer (skating will be another story). And then hitting the weights after work, which would end up being around 6pm. Would that be a good way to go about it, or would I be better off hitting the weights before work and then doing the cardio around 2pm?
I have a sports dietician, so I will be getting all of the fuel I need for the workouts, and will have my intake adjusted depending on when I'm working out. I just need some input on which order would be best to do.
Thanks!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think that will come down to personal preference and you'll only know what you prefer once you start doing it. That is, you may try it the way you've planned and then if you feel worn out you might flip it and do the weights first to see if you have more energy that way. But they are separated by long enough time that I wouldn't think your plan would cause an issue.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Do what works with your schedule and energy levels. I do like the idea of splitting up your workouts. When you do cardio and strength back to back the second activity will always suffer. Though I do have to ask if you really need to workout everyday for 90 minutes? Is that typical training for hockey? I wouldn't really know.
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    @jemhh , thank you for the response. I'll give the after work weight lifting a try unless someone posts up a good reason to do it the other way. I'm pretty wired from 5:45am through 11pm every day, so I don't think the energy levels will suffer much. I'm usually pretty amped up after work is done (who isn't right? haha).
    @jennybearlv , thank you for the response as well. The 90 minutes won't be 100mph the whole time. I stretch for 15-20 minutes after each workout, so that's included in the 90 minutes. But that is my thought as well, with splitting it up, that I will get more out of each (cardio and strength) than I do by combining them in the same workout time. But that doesn't mean my thoughts are correct. HA!
    Thanks again!