Hardcore caffeine addict - help me stop

Options
I'm pretty much fueled by caffeine - first thing I reach for in the morning, last thing at night often. I am not really sure how much I take in each day - usually 2-3 energy drinks (diet, so few to no calories), generally at least one 2 liter bottle of diet soda. Often I augment this with a caffeine pill or two at some point in the day - 200 to 400 mgs right there. And I also take Excedrin Migraine some days, too, for various aches and pains.

I know it's bad for me - but it is SO hard to pass up the energy boost from it, especially if I'm dragging. It's definitely something that brings diminished returns - I seem to need more and more of it as time passes to keep going.

Fortunately, I haven't noticed any BAD side effects, such as heart flutters or tremors/muscle spasms. It doesn't often stop me from sleeping, although overall, I don't sleep very soundly, wake up 3-4 times most nights, and I know that is part of it (my dog is a part of that, too - either wants to go out or hears/sees/smells something that makes him bark)

I just can't seem to get away from it - it's a bad addiction. It's even an expensive addiction - at least $5 a day for energy drinks and diet soda.

Bottom line - I NEED the energy to get through my life - but I need to find a healthy alternative that contributes to my overall health instead of dragging it down.

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would be best for you to cut back instead of trying to get off it altogether. I would do that slowly to as to lessen any headaches and make it a little easier psychologically. Start by just cutting out just one of your caffeine sources. Once you get used to that, cut out another. It may take a while, but you can get it down to a more reasonable level that way.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I won't be of much help because i do love coffee but maybe take baby steps. Eliminate one of your caffeine habits for an entire month. Like the energy drinks, have only one a day. Or don't drink coffee after 6pm. Baby steps. :)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I was all set to come in here and say "Moderate caffeine usage is fine if you're healthy!" but then I read your post, and yes, that is a lot more than moderate usage and is worth being concerned about.

All I can suggest is getting adequate sleep, paying close attention to your nutrition (make sure you're getting the right balance of macronutrients and sufficient vitamins and minerals) and not eating too few calories. If you're trying to lose weight and you're tired all the time, you may need to up the calories a bit and lose more slowly.

Honestly, I used to consume a ton of caffeine too when I bartended and went to school - also 2-3 energy drinks, several cups of coffee, sometimes diet coke if I was really tired at work - and the only thing that allowed me to increase my energy levels and stop needing so much of it was getting on a normal sleep schedule of 7+ hours a night and trying not to use simple carbs for a quick energy boost (and subsequent energy trough.) It's not a quick fix or an easy one and meant about a month of feeling like I was going to just fall asleep everywhere I went, but eventually I did find a normal balance.

I now go to bed early, wake up at 5 to run before work, and have no more than 3 cups of coffee/shots of espresso on any given day because I don't need it. I normally just have a cup in the morning while I'm getting ready for work and a cup at work and I feel great.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I agree with weaning yourself off slowly. Cut back a little and then a little more and so on.

I'd also suggest looking at your diet and stress levels. Change your habits so that you can sleep better (maybe dog training) or meditation or herbal tea before bed. Are you eating too little? This can cause fatigue and interfere with sleep. Food should provide most of your energy, not drugs.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Firstly get a doggy door for your dog.

I agree with the others about tapering down ever so slowly. You'll likely end up throwing in the towel if you go to quickly. Only drink 1L of diet soda a day, instead of two. Make your coffees a bit weaker each time etc etc Ditch the caffeine tablets first if you can, taking these on top of everything is totally overkill imo.

I am impressed with your caffeine consumption, you're very hardcore :lol: If i have more than 2 cups of coffee in a row i get dizzy and nauseous, and i come on the forums here typing at a million miles an hour and just blabbing total irrelevant crap to whatever thread I'm replying too lol I can clearly recogonise my "too much coffee" posts :flushed:
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    1) Cut the pills. And the Excedrin. Use normal Advil for pain, if needed.
    2) Cut back on the soda. Heck just migrate - do 1 L of caffeinated and 1 L of non-caffeinated. Keep moving until you're off that caffeine.
    3) Dial back the energy drinks.

I'd spend 1-2 weeks on changing each habit to try to avoid the withdrawal. You can decide if you want to keep any in your life, or if moderation is not a thing in this area for you.

As for how to cope, you do it by getting sleep, eating enough, and just getting used to it. I made it though two toddlers (one of whom didn't sleep through the night until he was 3). You can do it.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    How is your stomach lining? I would have an ulcer if I had that much caffeine! I would love to drink coffee all day, but I'm pretty sensitive to it (stomach pain and jitters). Maybe try a coffee replacement? I recently discovered something called "Cafix" that's similar to coffee but caffeine free. There's also some other products like "Pero" "Roma" and "Dandy blend". It takes some getting used to, but worth a try. I'm not sure how you can find a substitute for energy drinks. Maybe decaf soda/pop until you can get out of the habit? Also, tapering your intake is wise, like previous comments say. I wish you the best of luck! Deep breathing exercises and stretching help if you can mentally recognize you are wanting a "fix". That's part of the struggle though.