Personal Trainers: safety and speaking up

Options
Ever have a personal trainer want to push you too hard, to a point where you felt that you could have been injured? I feel like an awkward conversation is on the horizon, just wondered if anyone had this experience before.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    A good trainer is going to usually recognize if there is a problem...otherwise it's perfectly acceptable to speak up. A good trainer will also listen to you. I have a very good relationship with my trainer and I've been seeing him for quite some time and we are also good friends outside of the gym...he knows my body almost better than I do...he knows when to push if I'm just being a little wimpy vs there being a legit problem.

ETA: I have a couple of different issues that just flare up from time to time from old injuries..when that happens, I let him know what's going on and he'll do a work around.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If I feel mine is pushing too hard, I let him know. I frequently work out with an area or two that is a little tweaked, so when I feel it, he backs off on that spot and subs in something else.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I would want ANY CLIENT to tell me if anything we did was too uncomfortable to do. Many times some of the exercises are trial and error with clients due to the variability of body types, ability and fitness. I've had some fit people who couldn't run on a treadmill, but running on a gym floor was fine. So please speak up. If not, we think you are doing fine with what we instruct you to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    my trainer pushes me very very VERY hard, but she doesn't know what i'm feeling in my body so its up to me to speak up and say when something isn't comfortable. Without speaking up she will think im' fine and push me to my limit. I've never had a trainer tell me to do something anyways after telling them i don't feel right about it. If they did, i'd chew them out and find another trainer.
    But there is also a fine line between being pushed into dangerous physical limits, versus being pushed past mental barriers. Only you know what you can and will do. trust your own judgement and use the trainer as a guide.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Always have good communication with a trainer. A good professional will be paying attention. Part of the trainers job is to know when to push and when to stop, but it's an art as well as a science. Especially if it's a newer relationship, the trainer may not have as good a feel for you yet. Speak up. A good trainer will appreciate the feedback. While some trainers IMO get a little cavalier about muscle soreness, no one wants an injured client.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You should have 100% open communication.
    Hey, I like XYZ but absolutely hate ABC.
    Can we do more of....Or less of...

Ask your trainer if they can switch to an RPE scale.
    Wild make things easier for you.