Miscellaneous Calorie Burn

Options
Hello, I am new to the community. I am just curious if any of you guys use the categories such as yard work or moderate house cleaning. Should I be including these in my daily exercise calorie burn on top of the calories I burn during workout. Are these there to help us feel better or should I definitely add these chores into my calories burned for the day?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No one has gotten skinny just by cleaning their house. Those types of activities are included in your normal daily calorie burn. Eating back a bunch of calories from every single movement you make usually isn't going to result in weight loss.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Some people assume that the "sedentary" setting means doing nothing but sitting on the couch all day. In reality it does cover a good portion of activity. So no, it shouldn't be logged.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Your activity level setting is going to include quite a bit of that stuff, even if you're set to sedentary.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I find that if I clean vigorously one day I tend to be extra lazy the next day so it evens out. I avg about 7k steps with day to day activity and desk job but can easily do 15k on the weekend just doing normal chores. Mainly due to the fact my laundry is located downstairs.
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers. I workout 4 days a week and average about 4 miles of walking/jogging, 45 minutes of total body weightlifting each time. I was just curious as to why they put these normal activities in the program. I guess it is to let people see that they are actually moving more than they think.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I only use those entries when I have my activity setting as sedentary and do something out of the ordinary, like hand wash the whole car and wax it or deep clean the house. But then only use the lowest estimate.