Vitamin D and muscle gain

Options
Probably isn't anything new, but seems like here recently I'm hearing more about Vitamin D and its effects of it having enough of it.

Anyone know much about it?

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Vit D is important to your health for a lot of reasons.

See for example: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/161618.php
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D is essentially a steroid. Those deficient in it will see muscle weakness, fatigue, lethargy, and bone density problems.

It's also required for proper calcium uptake, so you end up deficient in two things for the price of one, if you don't get enough.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I just take fish oil/Lýsi and it has lot's of D vitamin. I've never had to work to hard for the muscles but I have no idea if that's the D vitamin or genetics or if I'm not as strong as I think I am.

But D vitamins are good for you and a must have if you live where the days are shortened during the winter.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    I just take fish oil/Lýsi and it has lot's of D vitamin. I've never had to work to hard for the muscles but I have no idea if that's the D vitamin or genetics or if I'm not as strong as I think I am.

But D vitamins are good for you and a must have if you live where the days are shortened during the winter.

There's more to it than that. For example, beta rays don't penetrate clothing or glass. So, if all of your sunlight is taken in through windows, you're not generating D.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options

There's more to it than that. For example, beta rays don't penetrate clothing or glass. So, if all of your sunlight is taken in through windows, you're not generating D.

That's true. We're taught as kids to make sure we get D vitamin as we don't get any sunlight all winter and it's not warm enough during the summer to soak up the sun.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I supplement D (with K) as living in the UK our winters are long and dark. I'm also very very fair so spending 20 minutes, even 5 minutes, in the sun without sunscreen is often a no go.

But yeah, vitamin D is essential for all sorts of bodily functions.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I supplement D (with K) as living in the UK our winters are long and dark. I'm also very very fair so spending 20 minutes, even 5 minutes, in the sun without sunscreen is often a no go.

But yeah, vitamin D is essential for all sorts of bodily functions.

I read yesterday that fair skinned folks like myself actually get more Vitamin D in a shorter compared to someone with darker skin. Seems to be the only advatage to being pale. LOL
  • JB035
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I hate when I can't generate the D.

@JoRocka hahahahaha
  • JB035
    Options
    @Meg_Megz I live in SouthEast Texas. We are in the sun... it's either hot or warm most of the year. Average humidity of like 90.