Options
13»

Replies

• comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    ccems1634 wrote: »
    I'm done arguing with stupid. I'll continue wirh my knowledge and training and you guys can continue using Google until you find what fits what you want to believe.

You don't even know what the people you call stupid are saying. You can't even respond to or account for a single thing I said, and here you are on your high horse for only being able to respond to misreadings that you invented.

Dunning Kruger writ large.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm done arguing with stupid. I'll continue wirh my knowledge and training and you guys can continue using Google until you find what fits what you want to believe.

It's obvious you don't know much about eating disorders but I'm the stupid one?
  • comeonnow142857
    edited February 2017
    Options

It's obvious you don't know much about eating disorders but I'm the stupid one?

It's narcissism. His criteria isn't how well he honestly thinks you're engaging, which is why he's so actively hostile to the prospect of acknowledging what people actually said, and why he won't dare defend an obvious misreading he made, but will happily hurl insults as a defense of his ego instead.

His criteria for how smart/stupid you are is solely how much you stroke his ego. It's the ego that matters, not even what he truly believes is the accuracy of the information (and many honest people can disagree on that basis on this topic - even if they're completely wrong :). They just don't end up behaving in such a mortifying manner)
  • comeonnow142857
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Kelliem78 wrote: »
    I am logging every single bite I put in my mouth and stay under 1200 if not 1000 calories daily. I am open to suggestions but I don't feel as if I am over eating. I had my thyroid checked two years ago and it was fine. I am doing C25K, can't run outside because where I'm at it's too cold for my daughter to be out with me at least until spring. I am about 5'7" and weigh 248. Goal weight is 190 for now.

I did some reading recently, that suggested the opposite. I know in most cases if you are not losing it is because your caloric intake is too high, however if you are not eating enough calories your body will in a sense go into self defense mode. and store fat for its protection. provided you dont have any health issues and u are very confident you are logging accurately that could be a possibility, especially with the increased activity. Thats just a thought that popped into my head when you said u are taking in between 1000-1200 calories, i am by no means a professional or anything. im learning trial and error myself.

No, no, just no. Your body does not do this if you are truly eating at a calorie deficit. Your metabolism may slow a bit, but you will not store fat.

Not eating enough calories can cause your body to go into self defense mode and hold onto fat. Your body will basically say "I don't know when the next time I will get food so here let me store EVERYTHING!" Now with that being said, calorie deficient can help in weight loss but it can't be extreme deficit. Someone eating less than 1200 calories is too much of a deficit. Start eating and you will start seeing the weight loss. Type in your info and activity, find out how many calories you're supposed to be eating and eat them. Pick healthy, whole foods and you will loose weight.

Nope. Anorexics wouldn't be underweight if this were true

Anorexic people don't eat. Once they eat they gain everything until their bodies adjust and get used to being fed. Someone who's eating a little and then not eating will actually gain weight because of it. These people's bodies will start eating it's own muscle in order to be able to store the fat.

Not true. Anorexics eat. No one gains weight from not eating

Apparently you don't know what anorexia is. Bulimia people eat. Anorexic don't until they are soooo sick they have to then they eat something small and back to not eating.

Um excuse me. I'm a mostly recovered anorexic binge/purge subtype who went through inpatient treatment so I think I know little more about it than you. I ate but very small amounts. I have never met an anorexic that didn't eat at all.

Absolutely wrecked.
  • Kelliem78
    Kelliem78 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you're really only eating 1,200 calories a day at 5'7 you're either retaining water and it will drop soon (see lyle mcdonald's article on wooshes and squishy fat), or you are telling a lie to yourself about how much you are eating and need to be honest with yourself.

I don't need anyone calling me a liar about what I am eating. I log everything, good and bad, that I eat. I think it took me a couple weeks to tweek what I eat and find the right choices of things I eat. Meaning I thought by eating a lot of fruit I was doing good but according to MFP it was too much sugar, do that had to be tweeked. It's a learning curve and I get that but I just feel as if I should be losing something. I had a few slip up days sure, out of discouragement of not losing anything but once I worked everything into the nutrition that MFP recommended, I've tried to stay within that.

A lot of people are questioning my calorie intake. I am only trying to stay within what MFP sets for me. No, I don't eat my exercise calories, maybe that's the problem. I eat 3 meals a day and 3 snacks. Snacks consist of yogurt, cheese stick, fiber one bars, or fruit. I do have a popsicle or carb comfort ice cream occasionally. I feel like I'm eating enough but just not seeing results.

Bottom line, why would I come on here with complete strangers, announce my weight, and ask for help if I'm only going to get called a liar and have people make me feel worse than I already do. I have been given some really great advice here but it seems like for every 5 positives there is that one negative. I'm not a liar, I'm not here for fun, I just want to find out why I'm not losing anything without being made to feel worse. And before you say anything, no this entire post isn't directed st you but you were one of a couple who questioned my honesty whether to myself or others.
  • Kelliem78
    Options
    Be patient.
    Be persistent.
    Be honest.

None of us could maintain 248lb , doing C25K, and eating 1000 to 1200 calories per day. There are a tiny number of people who gain weight on 800 calories per day, and if you are one of those you already know it.

So basically your saying I'm being dishonest? Or am I reading your post wrong? The above is true, I currently weigh 248, doing C25K, and eat under 1200 calories a day and am not losing anything. That's the whole reason I came here, to see if anyone had any advice on why; definitely not to be called a liar. Why would I waste my or anyone else's time? That's just ridiculous.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Being as how nothing has been resolved with your situation I suggest you open your diary so people can give you meaningful advice on your calorie intake. Everyone is trying to help, even those you may think are being too critical. If you're on the defensive it's hard for you to be open minded about what others suggest. Dishonesty can actually be denial when it comes to weight loss...believe me I know! I've spent the last 35 years in denial about why I couldn't lose weight in spite of numerous attempts.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Incredible this thread is still going. OP lied about how many calories they consume and for how long. When they eat at a calorie deficit they will lose weight. That's all. It's pretty black and white.
  • Kelliem78
    Options
    Incredible this thread is still going. OP lied about how many calories they consume and for how long. When they eat at a calorie deficit they will lose weight. That's all. It's pretty black and white.

When did I lie?? I have been 100% honest with everything yet I get accused of lying again? Unfreakingbelievable! You show me one shred of evidence where I lied! One! Why would I waste my time coming here and sharing this to be lying! I have a life! Which is why I don't post 24/7. Great support group here!
  • Kelliem78
    Options
    Being as how nothing has been resolved with your situation I suggest you open your diary so people can give you meaningful advice on your calorie intake. Everyone is trying to help, even those you may think are being too critical. If you're on the defensive it's hard for you to be open minded about what others suggest. Dishonesty can actually be denial when it comes to weight loss...believe me I know! I've spent the last 35 years in denial about why I couldn't lose weight in spite of numerous attempts.

If someone will tell me how I gladly will! I am so incredibly sick of being called s liar it's ridiculous
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

If someone will tell me how I gladly will! I am so incredibly sick of being called s liar it's ridiculous

Go to your profile, account settings, diary and check public.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I am logging every single bite I put in my mouth and stay under 1200 if not 1000 calories daily. I am open to suggestions but I don't feel as if I am over eating. I had my thyroid checked two years ago and it was fine. I am doing C25K, can't run outside because where I'm at it's too cold for my daughter to be out with me at least until spring. I am about 5'7" and weigh 248. Goal weight is 190 for now.

I did some reading recently, that suggested the opposite. I know in most cases if you are not losing it is because your caloric intake is too high, however if you are not eating enough calories your body will in a sense go into self defense mode. and store fat for its protection. provided you dont have any health issues and u are very confident you are logging accurately that could be a possibility, especially with the increased activity. Thats just a thought that popped into my head when you said u are taking in between 1000-1200 calories, i am by no means a professional or anything. im learning trial and error myself.

No, no, just no. Your body does not do this if you are truly eating at a calorie deficit. Your metabolism may slow a bit, but you will not store fat.

Not eating enough calories can cause your body to go into self defense mode and hold onto fat. Your body will basically say "I don't know when the next time I will get food so here let me store EVERYTHING!" Now with that being said, calorie deficient can help in weight loss but it can't be extreme deficit. Someone eating less than 1200 calories is too much of a deficit. Start eating and you will start seeing the weight loss. Type in your info and activity, find out how many calories you're supposed to be eating and eat them. Pick healthy, whole foods and you will loose weight.

No, it won't. I won't be the first to call you out on this so be prepared. Your other advice is good, but "starvation mode" in the way you are describing it is a myth.

I can tell you from experience it's not a myth. Call me out if you want but it's not a myth. I struggled loosing weight by not eating and then when I would eat I would gain. My doctor helped me see the light and now I'm losing weight left and right by eating. I'm eating 1700-1900 calories a day (varies), barley exercising, and am only 45 lbs overweight and have dropped almost 10 lbs in 2 weeks by eating. I struggle everyday to force myself to eat 3 meals. It's a fight but then once I eat, I actually get hungry and stay hungry and I eat. Eating for me has always been a challenge because I'm not hungry.

You may retain water due to eating a very low calorie amount but your body does not stop burning fat. Your water retention simply masks the fat loss when you weight yourself.

Furthermore, eating at a very low calorie level often leads to a person decreasing their NEAT (non-exercise thermogenesis) calorie expenditure, sometimes by huge margins. You might eat little and/or exercise a lot but if you are barely burning calories outside of exercise, your overall calorie burn goes down, obliterating your calorie deficit.

If people's bodies started holding onto fat when they ate too little, pictures from Auschwitz would not show emaciated people.

You obviously don't understand how the body Works. I'm not going to argue but I'm going to say again to the op. Start eating the calories you're supposed to and you will lose weight.

As far as your Auschwitz comment, those people were starved. When you're starved you will become skin and bones but when you starve then eat then starve on a normal routine you will put on weight which is what the op is doing.

You can expect people to argue with you if you continue to post these comments. So, now that you are stating that we don't know how the body works, it's time for you to cite your resources for your claims. And don't tell us we need to do that as it's been done on here ad nauseum. OP just needs to be meticulous about her intake and not over estimate her calorie burn.

So you're saying wirh the op being 248 lbs and eating less than 1200 calories if not a 1000 daily as op has stated, is not being meticulous? She should be eating at least 1500 calories a day if not more. I'm 155 lbs and I'm eating 1700 calories a day and losing like crazy. Some days I'm eating 1900 calories and still losing. Sounds to me like all you are doing is being judgemental and assuming someone is over eating since they are not losing weight. Over eating is not always the cause. Under eating has the same effects.

My resources hmm I'm in the medical field and know how the body Works. Even knowing it's not good I've still tried the starving method and can tell you it doesn't work. Also look at any nutrition website and they will all say the same thing. You're giving someone dangerous advice by telling them under eating is ok. Not only are you not helping in weight loss, you're opening the door to various medical problems down the road.

Oh really? http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html/

A couple excerpts for you:
    ...Because in no study that i have ever seen or ever been aware of has the drop in metabolic rate (whether due to the drop in weight or adaptive component) EVER exceeded the actual deficit whether in men or women. Fine, yes, it may offset things, it may slow fat loss (i.e. if you set up a 30% caloric deficit and metabolic rate drops by 20%, your deficit is only 10% so fat loss is a lot slower than expected or predicted) but it has never been sufficient to either stop fat loss completely (or, even to address the even stupider claim being made about this, to cause actual fat gain).

But even when the drop in metabolic rate is massive, sufficient to drastically slow fat loss, even when it occurs it’s only when that person’s body has more or less reached the limits of leanness in the first place. So for ‘hundreds of women who are self-reporting this in emails’ to a certain coach to exist, well; just let me call that what it is: bulls**t...

...Because the science doesn’t support it in any way shape or form. No study in humans in 50 years has ever shown the claimed phenomenon. I mean not ever. Not a single study showing truly stopped fat loss in the face of a controlled deficit much less fat regain. And with plenty of other mechanisms (like water retention) to explain the “apparent” lack of fat loss that make more logical sense (Occam’s razor for the win).

Believe what you want, but "starvation mode", or "defense mode" or whatever you want to call it, is a complete and total myth. Anybody who claims it does is the one who doesn't understand how the body works.

Claiming to be in the medical field is a false appeal to authority. I know RNs who have been nurses for over 30 years and their knowledge of nutrition is somewhere on the level of the average lay person who believes in Dr. Oz and reads women's magazines for their "diet tips". I'd gladly let them treat my wounds or assist in my surgery, but I wouldn't take their diet/nutrition advice for anything in the world. Pure derp.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I don't need anyone calling me a liar about what I am eating. I log everything, good and bad, that I eat. I think it took me a couple weeks to tweek what I eat and find the right choices of things I eat. Meaning I thought by eating a lot of fruit I was doing good but according to MFP it was too much sugar, do that had to be tweeked. It's a learning curve and I get that but I just feel as if I should be losing something. I had a few slip up days sure, out of discouragement of not losing anything but once I worked everything into the nutrition that MFP recommended, I've tried to stay within that.

A lot of people are questioning my calorie intake. I am only trying to stay within what MFP sets for me. No, I don't eat my exercise calories, maybe that's the problem. I eat 3 meals a day and 3 snacks. Snacks consist of yogurt, cheese stick, fiber one bars, or fruit. I do have a popsicle or carb comfort ice cream occasionally. I feel like I'm eating enough but just not seeing results.

Bottom line, why would I come on here with complete strangers, announce my weight, and ask for help if I'm only going to get called a liar and have people make me feel worse than I already do. I have been given some really great advice here but it seems like for every 5 positives there is that one negative. I'm not a liar, I'm not here for fun, I just want to find out why I'm not losing anything without being made to feel worse. And before you say anything, no this entire post isn't directed st you but you were one of a couple who questioned my honesty whether to myself or others.

The question has already been asked (a couple times, I think), but not answered: Are you weighing all your solid foods on a food scale and measuring all your liquids with measuring cups/spoons? Unless you are, you don't actually know how many calories you're eating.

How big are your "slip ups" and how often do they happen? I could easily wipe out an entire week's deficit with a really good "slip up" day.

Those are relevant questions that need honest answers before anybody can offer any useful advice to you.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

No, it won't. I won't be the first to call you out on this so be prepared. Your other advice is good, but "starvation mode" in the way you are describing it is a myth.

I can tell you from experience it's not a myth. Call me out if you want but it's not a myth. I struggled loosing weight by not eating and then when I would eat I would gain. My doctor helped me see the light and now I'm losing weight left and right by eating. I'm eating 1700-1900 calories a day (varies), barley exercising, and am only 45 lbs overweight and have dropped almost 10 lbs in 2 weeks by eating. I struggle everyday to force myself to eat 3 meals. It's a fight but then once I eat, I actually get hungry and stay hungry and I eat. Eating for me has always been a challenge because I'm not hungry.

if you only have 45 lbs to lose and are losing 5 lbs a week eating 1700-1900 calories then something is off.especially if you are having difficulties eating enough.you would have to have a deficit of 2500 calories so your TDEE would be around 4200,doubt thats happening with not much exercise. if eating has always been a challenge then how did you become overweight? it doesnt happen out of nowhere.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You also keep saying you log everything, and you've been asked more than once HOW you log, how do you know exactly how many calories you eat? Do you measure with spoons/cups, do you eyeball/estimate, do you weigh your food? It is usually logging error - by not weighing food, people are usually way off on their calories.
  • Kelliem78
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

The question has already been asked (a couple times, I think), but not answered: Are you weighing all your solid foods on a food scale and measuring all your liquids with measuring cups/spoons? Unless you are, you don't actually know how many calories you're eating.

How big are your "slip ups" and how often do they happen? I could easily wipe out an entire week's deficit with a really good "slip up" day.

Those are relevant questions that need honest answers before anybody can offer any useful advice to you.

I thought I did answer the food scale question but it must have been to someone in a PM. No, I am not using a food scale, I am using MFP database. I am trying to eat foods that are already packaged so that the calorie count is more accurate. I don't eat vegetables but can choke down green beans if necessary, which I have been. Yes I have slip ups, I ate some Girl Scout cookies , more than I should, but logged every last bite! By slip up I mean I may have a half cup of ice cream if I have room in my calories for it; a handful of chewy spree candy, a donut at work, stuff like that. Not like a full binge day or anything. But I account for everything.
  • Kelliem78
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    You also keep saying you log everything, and you've been asked more than once HOW you log, how do you know exactly how many calories you eat? Do you measure with spoons/cups, do you eyeball/estimate, do you weigh your food? It is usually logging error - by not weighing food, people are usually way off on their calories.

All answers are above. I thought I posted it already but it must have been in a PM.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Get a scale, start weighing every solid and semi solid that you eat. Measure liquids with liquid measuring cups and spoons.

Weigh your packaged food and adjust the calories for the true weight rather than the packaged weight.

Double check MFP entries against the package, use USDA entries for none packaged foods.

If in doubt use the higher entry.

Donuts can vary in calories, use the companies web site for calorie content. Then weigh the one you are going to eat.

Don't use generic 1medium apple, pork chop etc, weigh it then look for the USDA entry.

You are not lying, to us, or yourself; you just haven't learnt the most accurate way to track your calories yet.

Cheers, h.

You should probably be eating more than 1200, and be eating back at least some of your exercise calories once you have your logging on point.