New Runner

Options
2»

Replies

• ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Any other tips for a new runner?:) thanks!!!

Other general tips.

1. Go to a running shop and have your gait analyzed if you haven't already
    2. Read up on Chi Running (or similar) that goes into the mechanics of proper stance, gait, and stride. There are a couple of schools of thought, I like Chi best.
    3. Always take rest days between runs until you stabilize in speed and distance. If you start to go for endurance rest days are a necessity. Give your body time to heal.
    4. Look into switching to minimalist shoes. A lot of runners may disagree with me on this, but I found that switching to minimalist really helped. I wear Brooks Pure.
  • Chevy_Girl88
    Chevy_Girl88 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I got no tips. Sounds like you don't need any. After all, you are going out every day. That's what you want. Keep it comfortable and easy. The mileage will come soon enough. No need to sweat.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to stretch...I find I can increase my endurance and my muscles hurt less when I am religious about stretching before AND after running....common sense but I think its something beginning runners kind of slack off on.

Get good shoes with proper support.

Don't run the same route every single time....my endurance suffers when my runs are too repetitive....I have a route I time run once every week, other times during the week I have started to look for other routes. (Same if you do most of your running on a treadmill....at least once a week get off the treadmill and find a trail or park or sidewalk to run on.)