Dealing with Gains

Options
Hi everyone, I've been trying to lose weight on and off for the past 3 years. I'm finally committed to really doing this thing. Anyway, I have been measuring, weighing, tracking every morsel that goes in my mouth since Monday as well as staying within my 1,360 calorie goal. I'm also a daily weigh-er which I know many frown upon.

Part of the reasons I have quit in the past is because I don't see progress or I gain weight back.

Today I posted a .8 gain on the scale. I know it's not a big deal. The rational part of me knows this. But the bigger part of me wants to lose the weight so badly that it's frustrating me. I swear I'm doing everything right!

So, for those of you who weigh yourselves daily, how do you remind yourself that small gains like this are no big deal? Just don't want to get frustrated again and give up.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's not a gain, it's a fluctuation.
  • rachelmhairi
    rachelmhairi Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I use the Happy Scale app on iPhone. I think Libra is a similar app for Android. You add your daily weigh in and it creates a scattergraph that ultimately if you're trying to lose weight shows a downward direction. It means that those small fluctuations in weight (which are almost always down to water, sodium, recent exercise etc) stop seeming like a big deal. I'm currently maintaining my weight and it's good for just reminding me where I'm at.

I know others do it manually and work out their average rate of loss.

I get how you feel though. I used to let those small fluctuations get me down as well. Then I started running, and now my focus is on improving my fitness and performance and not so much on what the scale says. As long as I eat to properly fuel my workouts, I'm happy.

Also, take your measurements. I recently measured my waist and I've lost on an inch there but the number on the scale is the same.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's not a gain, it's a fluctuation.

this
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    If your going to weigh daily your going to have to accept seeing gains this is why mentally you'll need to
    1. Stop
    2. Take on board gains and why
    3. Log only weekly weigh in results weigh first thing after the toilet naked
    4. Take monthly as official weight

We can a gain water retention not going to toilet salty foods etc hormones medication extra exercise - that's why scales aren't a liner - they don't show the true picture

You could be an exerciser weighing 180 lbs an a dress size 12 or a non exerciser weighing 160 lbs and the same size clothes being that muscle and fat weighs the same but muscle takes up less room so you can weigh heavier and be the same dress size as someone lighter

I once lost 2 dress sizes but only 4lbs

Get the tape measure out
    Make sure your eating enough
    Drink plenty water 2 litres a day
    Eat as healthy as possible

• artanis50
    artanis50 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really like thinking of it as a "fluctuation" and not a gain! Appreciate the tips!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Try weighing monthly. I do that it and it helps. You have to give yourself 3-6 months on consistency of whatever you're doing to see some real changes
  • RhysT28
    RhysT28 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ydkeq9abck6o.png

Heres my weight over the last 4 weeks, I weigh every day except Saturday and Sunday, you can see the spike each Monday after the weekend, but the general trend is going down!
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    And remember the scale can be frusterating and can hide weight loss due to so many factors. I kid you not, i weighed myself on the 21st and was the same weight i was for the past couple weeks. Weighed myself this morning a dropped 3lbs??? Obviously i didn't drop that in two days. Why it showed now is beyond me.