Best Fitness Program

I am looking for the best fitness program to get in shape and build strength. I would like to do it from home since I already have a treadmill and free weights (I would obviously buy whatever other equipment I would need like resistance bands or exercise balls). I'm looking for something with strength training since I have the cardio pretty well covered. It's overwhelming looking at all of the different programs out there and I was wondering what you all had success with. Thank you!

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    I like Strong Lifts 5x5. I couple it with running and rowing as my cardio. However, the "best" fitness program is the one YOU like and will do. Go on line check out several and discover your preference.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    bodybuilding.com has tons of free programs - last year I completed 2 rounds of Jamie Eason Live Fit trainer and currently doing Lee Labrada Lean program
    Body Beast through beachbody is awesome - I gained so much muscle with that dvd - and did this one all at home but got sick of buying the equipment so now I go to the gym.

Good luck
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I am looking for the best fitness program to get in shape and build strength. I would like to do it from home since I already have a treadmill and free weights (I would obviously buy whatever other equipment I would need like resistance bands or exercise balls). I'm looking for something with strength training since I have the cardio pretty well covered. It's overwhelming looking at all of the different programs out there and I was wondering what you all had success with. Thank you!

P90X3 is pretty good for strength and flexibility.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I like Strong Lifts 5x5. I couple it with running and rowing as my cardio. However, the "best" fitness program is the one YOU like and will do. Go on line check out several and discover your preference.
    Second this, but really what you should look for is any program that focuses on the compound lifts (use more than one joint) like squat, deadlift, overhead press, etc. and heavy weights with lower reps and avoids isolation exercises (only utilize one joint) like barbell curls. SL 5x5, Starting Strength, NROWLFW, there are many that do this and do it well. If you are truly interested in building strength this is the way to go. Lifting lighter weights for high reps (say 8+) will have a tiny benefit early on but won't build any appreciable muscle, although it will burn calories like any exercise. And don't worry about getting too big or bulky. Not likely to happen for most women unless they have rare genetics, and if it does, just stop lifting and it'll go away or just focus on higher reps at that point.

Words of caution: Start slow and work on your form. Bad form leads to injuries and lack of progress as does starting too fast. Take at least a couple of months to work up to near your max weights and all good programs will recommend this. A trainer will be helpful, but if one isn't available, scour the internet as there are lots of vids on the YouTubes that cover proper form. AthleanX is great for that.