Options
Looking for suggestions for foods WITH carbs, but low/no sugar

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Why? (Sugar is a carb.) Unless you have a medical reason to cut sugar, it affects your body like all the other carbs out there. But, to answer your question:

Oatmeal
    Rice
    Quinoa
    Cous Cous
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Spinach
    Veg, veg, veg....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Anything starch-based: legumes, potatoes (but not sweet potatoes), oats, rice, other grains, pasta, some bread (read the label or make it yourself).

But I have to ask why -- are you concerned about going over sugar and hitting your carbs? If so, it doesn't matter if you hit carbs, being under is totally fine, and sugar isn't that important either if you are getting it mostly from nutrient dense sources. The sugar goal is more a proxy to see if your diet is unbalanced and assumes that of sugar a certain amount will be added sugar, and if you eat lots of fruit (for example), you could be over with very little added sugar. I think the foods I mentioned above fit well in a balanced, nutrient-dense diet, but I wouldn't particularly prefer them to fruit or (of course) vegetables or sweet potatoes, etc.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Pasta,
    potatoes,
    rice,
    barley,
    quinoa,
    beans,
    dal,
    oats

I echo the others. Why? All carbs, no matter their source, get converted into glucose in your body which is used for energy. A bowl of rice can raise your blood sugar more than an apple. Unless you have a metabolic issue, neither is a bad thing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    rice and potatoes have served the human population very well over the years.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    beans
    lentils
    rice
    potatoes and other root vegetables
    quinoa
    oats
    veg
    fruit
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    your body deals with them in the same way
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Grains and potatoes.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Vegetables. Grains and starchy vegetables are also low in sugar although their carb content is higher. Carbs are converted to sugar (glucose) in the body so if you need lower glucose, they might not be your best pick.