Beer and weight loss

Options
It's so hard to do when you like to imbibe. Especially considering I like a good craft beer and none of that colored water served in many places.
Where are my beer drinkers at?

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Right here!

I haven't had more than one in a sitting (and usually only 1-2/week) since New Year's. I'm a little over halfway to my goal weight. Generally, if I want beer, I must exercise. It's not a bad trade off. My favorites are imperial stouts, and those are high in alcohol and calories.
  • deonbfit
    deonbfit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am a big time beer drinker... however I go for the coloured water variety.. and I have noticed that a weekend of drinking beer vs a weekend of drinking vodka sodas makes a huge difference in what my weight says on Monday morning. I am trying to completely eliminate beer but its SO HARD! It's so much easier to open a can of beer than it is to make a vodka soda with a slice of lemon and 2 ice cubes ughhhh.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I love my beer, but when I'm in a cut, I cut way back on it. I do best in a cut if I just avoid alcohol in general most of the week. I have my indulgences on the weekend, but frankly it's usually gin and diet tonics or bourbon on the rocks.
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Options
    Beer and weight loss should never be in the same sentence!
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I love full-flavored craft beer. I just drink less of it when I am losing weight.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm an IPA, Gose, Sour beer lover. I've cut the intake back substantially to maybe 1 or 2 a week. We used to go out and do flights all of the time and then order a couple of pints after that. Now, I choose a beer that I know I'll like and only have 1 pint...maybe 2 depending on the day/week.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I like all the calorie dense beers like hoppy double IPAs, and dark stouts....I limit to once or twice a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

Yes, do tell. My 50 pound weight loss and daily craft beer habit would disagree.

I envy people who can have just one...I wish I could be one of those people...on the other hand, it keeps me riding.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Love a good Hefeweizen, Stout, or Porter... but I have cut back.
  • annacole94
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Yes, do tell. My 50 pound weight loss and daily craft beer habit would disagree.

I envy people who can have just one...I wish I could be one of those people...on the other hand, it keeps me riding.
    It also helps to like expensive stuff. I go get a 1L growler, split it with my husband, and then my $12 and beer are all gone.
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Flights are my friend. Same amount of beer, but more variety so I get to try more craft beers all in one go. I've found those have been helpful in scratching the craft beer itch but keeping the calories reasonable.
  • jeffrey711
    jeffrey711 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to do when you like to imbibe. Especially considering I like a good craft beer and none of that colored water served in many places.
    Where are my beer drinkers at?

I had been eating paleo before but switched to a macro diet with a coach. I actually find I'm drinking more beer now (at least one per day) and I'm still reaching my weight loss goal. I have a diet coach and she said to record alcohol differently (either as a carb or a fat). So if a beer is 150 calories then divide that number by 5 to give you the number of grams of carbs. If you are recording the beer as a fat then divide by 9. Not sure what the rationale is but it's working very well.
  • jamiepoo0202
    jamiepoo0202 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I, too am a big stout fan. I have cut way back. In fact, we are celebrating a birthday tonight and I want beer pretty badly, but will probably just do vodka. Also my city is a craft beer mecca at the moment and brewery stops are big with my friends. I just try not to drink as much. Still hard.
  • annacole94
    Options
    Beer is definitely a carb. The only rationale that would apply is that macros don't matter that much, but calories do. ;)
  • jeffrey711
    jeffrey711 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I totally agree with you. While I don't drink a lot of beer it's about moderation. I have lost body fat (and maintained muscle) while drinking "some" beer. Really it's about making sure you are getting the other necessary nutrients as well without flying over you daily calorie/macro goals.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love certain crafts. They carry calories like anything else, but I generally manage to fit them into my life. I'd be miserably unhappy if I didn't. No, I'm not an alcoholic, I just enjoy the taste.

Put it this way, I'd rather reset my maintenance calories to accommodate and remain 4 lbs heavier with the beer, than be unhappy 4 lbs lighter. That said, I generally keep them within my calorie budget and do just fine.