Vegetables out of a bag unhealthy?

Options

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What's even worse than finding a worm in your apple?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    What's even worse than finding a worm in your apple?

Apparently, being worm food because you ate an apple.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    I haven't had frozen veggies in 15 years. Have they gotten any better? My mom always bought frozen and they were limp and soggy.

Most all frozen fruit and veg are flash frozen now, but cooking method plays a huge factor in whether or not frozen veg ends up limp or soggy. Very high heat stir frying, for example, results in frozen veg that maintains its crispness.

Exactly. Sounds like your mom just overcooked them. My mom does that with fresh green beans. Cooks them to mush and thinks they're great.

Blaahhh i bet plenty of adults won't eat veggies because of the way their parents cooked them when they were young, and they assume that's what vegetables are meant to be like. Boiled to death veggies taste terrible, and so do canned veggies, if this is what they were fed growing up, I can't blame them for disliking them.

That's me. I hated broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and beets for this very reason.

I love those now that I've had them roasted properly. Heck, I'd probably consider Brussels sprouts one of my favorites.

I'm sure this is the case for too many people who grew up on those frozen microwaved or boiled Brussels sprouts. They were just awful! I like them braised in olive oil and white wine as well.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I hated brussel sprouts until I got a meal from Home Chef with them - basically pan friend with a drizzle of basalmic vinaigrette - mmmm yum
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I... packaged veggies not healthy???... I...

You'll pry Birdseye Steamfresh veggies from my cold, dead hands. If you find just the right time to nuke them, they are just about as tasty as fresh. I adore the baby broccoli blend.

Not sure if the protein blends will work for you, b/c they probably aren't GF, but they are really tasty as well. I make a bag of those with sauteed chicken or shrimp a couple nights a week. On nights when I'm only cooking for myself, these bags/boxes of frozen veggies are perfect for me. Too bad they aren't healthy.... (eyeroll)

Yeah, I'm leery of trying anything with a sauce because Birdseye is a little dodgy with their GF statement.

There are a LOT of nights I cook for myself because my daughter wants something like boxed mac and cheese or grilled cheese and I just cook myself a bag of the mixed veggies or a bag of the brown and wild rice with veggies and some Beyond Meat beefy crumbles and have it with some sauce from Wegmans line of Asian sauces. They're all gluten free. Another thing I'll do is quick and dirty mac and cheese for myself with bean pasta tossed with a steamer bag of broccoli and a few wedges of Laughing Cow.

I eat a lot of the steamers because the rest of the family hates everything but salad. I'm sick of salad. :p
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I just tried roasted radishes for the first time - yep - radishes.

Just drizzled with a little olive oil (and I am starting to stock pile that stuff now) and then roasted at 400F for about 30 minutes (I had a chicken breast in there too). Wow. Tastes like roasted mini red potatoes to me. A little grainier than potatoes, but same mild flavour. You can eat a crapload of radishes for just a few calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I found a slug in my frozen raspberries once. Found it with my mouth.

79xrzkqqgxno.gif

I was not expecting that....
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I found a slug in my frozen raspberries once. Found it with my mouth.

79xrzkqqgxno.gif

I was not expecting that....

I don't have any slug gifs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thank god this finally rolled to the next page!

Speaking of rolling.... how many MFP oldtimers remember when threads couldn't go more than 20 pages and then they rolled to a new one - so everyone would count down until the final post on that thread and try to be the one who rolled it? Good times...

Man I forgot about that... but damn- yeah- "bla bla bla controversial topic 2" or "continued" LOL
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    The first thing I thought of when I saw your post was "Is the plastic safe?" Dr. Weil's website warns against bags with BPA, PVC vinyl (#3), and Polycarbonates (PC #7)

I used to think my sister was nuts when she would wrap her veggies in a paper towel before putting them in a plastic bag. She wouldn't let the two touch. Not sure I care to go that far, but maybe I'll regret that - who knows?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    That picture makes me gag every time I come back to this thread :s

Imagine how I felt after throwing all the zucchini from the container into the frypan on top of all the other veggies I'd chopped (mushroom, onion, garlic, capsicum, asparagus, sun dried tomatos ...) and then saw the slimy thing.

I gagged. Then had to throw out two meals worth of vegetables and eat plain lamb cutlets for dinner.

Such a waste, ruined my enjoyment (and content of) my much anticipated dinner, plus stuffed up my macros for the day entirely.

For this reason I prefer buying fresh, whole veggies that you can look over, wash and then cut.

Although, to save time sometimes I do buy bagged stuff but (except for the zucchini incident!!) I always wash the 'pre washed' items before use.

Bacteria such as listeria (can kill a foetus) can grow on vegetables even when refrigerated.

The health risk of bagged produc is not in the nutritional value, but in contaminants and preparation.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I... packaged veggies not healthy???... I...

You'll pry Birdseye Steamfresh veggies from my cold, dead hands. If you find just the right time to nuke them, they are just about as tasty as fresh. I adore the baby broccoli blend.

Not sure if the protein blends will work for you, b/c they probably aren't GF, but they are really tasty as well. I make a bag of those with sauteed chicken or shrimp a couple nights a week. On nights when I'm only cooking for myself, these bags/boxes of frozen veggies are perfect for me. Too bad they aren't healthy.... (eyeroll)

Wait what???? I've never seen the protein blends? I've been making my own!

OH EM GEE!!!

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=552D3F60-5E6B-C8E6-42BE-9C5289EBA8E6
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »

Just drizzled with a little olive oil (and I am starting to stock pile that stuff now) and then roasted at 400F for about 30 minutes (I had a chicken breast in there too). Wow. Tastes like roasted mini red potatoes to me. A little grainier than potatoes, but same mild flavour. You can eat a crapload of radishes for just a few calories.

I've done that a few times now. VERY tasty and easy to make fit virtually any calorie/macro plan.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »

I love roasted radishes. They're also tasty pan braised.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread prompted me to go to the store this morning and find the Birds eye mixed veggies in cheese sauce, I never knew such a thing existed. I'm going to make it tomorrow night with Salmon and pasta mixed through.

My hubby already saw the packet in the freezer and gave me the eye roll, he is a certified vegetable snob and gets on well with my mum in this regard...