Not loosing much weight but loosing inches?

Options
My names Natasha , an i am 22 years old. I started MFP 31 days ago. I have become a full vegetarian as well as not eating many proccessed foods. I can't give my cheese up though :) Anyways, since then i have lost about 12 pounds which i feel isn't a lot considering what i see a lot of people on here loosing. However, I am loosing inches. Should i be doing something different to drop the weight? I do usually 5 days of cardio along with 3 days of strength training thoughout the week. I am only 5'2 (and a half) , I started at 181 pounds and I am now down to 169. I really want to get to 140 pounds but it feels like i won't loose that until next year at this point. Feeling really discouraged. Anyone have advice?

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Are you comparing yourself to people who have significantly more to lose? 12 lbs in a month is a lot for someone with only 40 lbs to lose... that's already 25% to your goal. Whatever you're doing is working but might be unhealthy in the long run since you should only technically lose up to 1% of total weight weekly... (http://galtime.com/story/how-many-pounds-can-you-safely-lose-in-one-week/)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    12lbs in 31 days is a LOT.
  • tasha12004
    tasha12004 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I guess it's just really frustrating to see it go so slow. Maybe because i have had eating disorders where i ate 500 Cal a day and lost 5 pounds a week. I guess loosing it slowly and being okay with it is hard to accept.
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    tasha12004 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I guess it's just really frustrating to see it go so slow. Maybe because i have had eating disorders where i ate 500 Cal a day and lost 5 pounds a week. I guess loosing it slowly and being okay with it is hard to accept.

But it's not going slow. You are losing faster than you should be, or need to be. That is what the other posters above are trying to tell you. It's in your best interest to adjust your mindset towards losing (not "loosing", btw) weight.

Slow it down and learn from the process so that you don't have to lose weight all over again. I spent the better part of my adult years gaining and losing 25-30 pounds. I finally, at 53, learned how to do this the right way. Not quick and painful, but by making gradual changes that I can stick with forever. I hope you can discover the same thing!

• shank3r
    shank3r Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    losing that much weight in a month is a lot unless you're taking phentermine as an appetite suppressant (I Used to). Go you!

And don't believe any of the *kitten* you read online from people bragging about weight loss unless progress pics are included. The next step is to not give a f*** what *other* people are doing (or claiming) and focus on yourself, then you'll realize amazing progress.
  • puttputt24
    puttputt24 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't you be happier losing inches over weight. Obviously you want to lose both but losing inches means you can clearly see progress
  • shank3r
    edited February 2017
    Options
    shank3r wrote: »
    losing that much weight in a month is a lot unless you're taking phentermine as an appetite suppressant (I Used to). Go you!

And don't believe any of the *kitten* you read online from people bragging about weight loss unless progress pics are included. The next step is to not give a f*** what *other* people are doing (or claiming) and focus on yourself, then you'll realize amazing progress.

Are you positively reinforcing someone with an ED? On ED behaviours? What the what?

Don't we all have eating disorders? I've gotten fat twice now because of what I'd consider eating disorders. I dropped 90lbs in 8 months (while taking phentermine and averaging 700 calories day for months on end) When I was 29, over 5 years I gained it back and for the last year I've been exercising and trying to eat appropriately. In 2016 I cycled 1004 miles...this year I'm going to try for even more but I'm also logging my diet again. I used to use DailyBurn tracker years ago but MFP is the only game in town now.
  • shank3r
    Options

Are you positively reinforcing someone with an ED? On ED behaviours? What the what?

Don't we all have eating disorders? I've gotten fat twice now because of what I'd consider eating disorders. I dropped 90lbs in 8 months (while taking phentermine and averaging 700 calories day for months on end) When I was 29, over 5 years I gained it back and for the last year I've been exercising and trying to eat appropriately. In 2016 I cycled 1004 miles...this year I'm going to try for even more but I'm also logging my diet again. I used to use DailyBurn tracker years ago but MFP is the only game in town now.

@shank3r

NO
    We don't ALL have eating disorders.

Good grief, thats like saying everyone who drinks more then 3 times a week is an alcoholic or anyone who has a glass of wine every day is an alcoholic.

You know why you got fat? You got fat because you stopped being diligent. You took a pill and ate jack *kitten* for months and then when you stopped you just stopped paying attention to your calorie in take. You put on .3 of a pound per week over 5 years... which means you ate to maintenance and was barely slightly over that for a long period of time.

That is NOT an eating disorder.

People with eating disorders have 0 control.
    ZERO.
    NONE.

And what drives me is people just going around claiming they have an eating disorder because they didn't take responsibility for their own eating habits. It takes away from people who ACTUALLY have one. People who are down right struggling right to their core. Either starving themselves to death or consuming THOUSANDS of calories above maintenance every single day. Eating meals you couldn't even wrap your mind around even if you sat there and watched them do it. The thought processes of a person with an eating disorder leaves them unable to even achieve a goal in mind because they just can't.

People with actual eating disorders need THERAPY.. they don't just have one and wake up one day and go "Oh okay, im all better now"

You have basically just completely trivialized the SERIOUSNESS of an actual mental disorder by throwing the ENTIRE planet into it. Take responsibility for your eating habits that got you to where you are, don't label yourself with an eating disorder just because "you got fat"

wow....well...uh...having been one of those who have been thru lots of sessions with my Psychiatrist, I've learned that in order to combat my triggers, that I have to be brutally honest with the fact that I have a problem. I've also learned thru my fat friends and work-out partners, that we're all fat for a reason, it's because we eat for the wrong reasons, most of us do so to cope with emotional triggers. Interestingly enough, the best exercise partner I ever had was a recovering heroin addict as he was the only non-mental health professional or fellow fatty who understood the urge to eat when triggered. Unfortunately for him, he lost his battle after a long stretch of being clean in 4/2105 and that is the single biggest emotional obstacle that I just can't seem to put behind me.

The funnest thing he'd do is every time I'd go to eat something that I shouldn't have, he'd tell me "You hear that?" I'd reply no..then he'd say something along the lines of "I think it was your pant's moaning in agony of you getting fatter."...always made for good laughs...or the most regular saying "I can hear you getting fatter" every time I took a bite of something that wasn't *clean*.

Years ago I had a co-worker who suffered from bulimia and her struggle was absolutely incredible. I remember having lunch with her one day, I was a solid 350lb'er at the time and she opened up to me that she'd purge because of the repulsiveness of fat people like me. I'm no snowflake and I told her that I wholeheartedly understand because I admitted to being pretty disgusted just by looking at myself. She's the one who suggested to see a psych doc and my GP and get them communicating, which helped immensely.

So here I am using MFP to track my food again, as I was a dailyburn tracker user before, and at the suggesting of the psych doc I quit tracking calories and to adjust to a "normal person" lifestyle after going from 360 to 228....that didn't work for me.