Women with broad shoulders

Options
jaina08
jaina08 Posts: 561 Member
I have broad shoulders and I don't really like them... I lost some weight so I guess it doesn't look as big as before. I decided to buy some tank tops that I'm planning on wearing to the gym BUT I'm afraid that my shoulders are going to look big when I wear them. I've always worn t-shirts to the gym but I recently wore a muscle shirt. What do you guys think of broad shoulders??

Replies

• irunforcookies
    irunforcookies Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I say own it! I also have broad shoulders, and I'm fine with it. Hey - having broad shoulders makes your waste look smaller! ;) I try not to think about the things I cannot change about my body, and focus on the things I can change. Instead of worrying about how broad your shoulders are, think about how toned they are. Do you look good in that tank? Yes! Because you are working out and getting fit! I say go for it - no one else even notices your shoulders are broad, I promise!
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Who cares! Wear a tank top if you want to wear a tank top!

I haven't even looked at your pictures, but if you have broad shoulders they're not going anywhere so you MIGHT AS WELL accept them and wear the damn tank top if you want! :flowerforyou:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I have them I guess. It's hard sliding them through PINK sports bras but I manage :glasses:

I work hard for the muscle, so i love my strong shoulders/back.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I feel like my shoulders are a little broad, or that I have a boxy profile. As long as you embrace who you are, nobody else cares as far as I can tell. I constantly wear tank tops and sleeveless shirts. No one looks at me and openly says, "ew.."
  • pattya925
    pattya925 Posts: 398
    Options
    I have broad shoulders and muscular ones at that (thanks to nursing).... I actually have really embraced them and I wear tank tops often. They help create the illusion of a smaller waist and I just like being strong... Besides 9 times out of ten the things that we hyperfocus on, others don't even notice.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Wear what YOU want to wear and what YOU feel good in, don't worry about what others think. You are going to the gym to work on YOU, not to impress anyone else.
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have broad shoulders too and I've always thought I looked like a dude. But girls with muscles are hot! Rock em!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Hmm if you have broad shoulders then broad shoulders are awesome. You look great!
  • CharlotteTheCoffeeLover
    CharlotteTheCoffeeLover Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I took have broad shoulders... I've always been selfconscious of them but since I've lost weight they seem to be more balanced.... You look great btw
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,936 Member
    Options
    I've always disliked my narrow shoulders. I actually hated to see shoulder pads go out of style. :laugh:

My daughter has beautiful, strong, broad shoulders. Learn to love yours!
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I feel like my shoulders are just a little on the broad side. BUT like someone else said, I'm convinced it makes my waist look smaller and makes me look more like an hourglass than the pear that I technically am. So I'm happy! :laugh:

Anyway, I looked at your main picture and your shoulders honestly look fine and normal to me! You look great! Rock that tank top, girl!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If all you have to be self-conscious of is your broad shoalders, then you're light years ahead of most of us. I promise that no one will notice, and if they do, they won't care.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have broad shoulders, and I'm hoping I learn to love them over time. As for you, rock those tank tops pretty lady!
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I like them, wish I had broader shoulders :P
  • jaina08
    jaina08 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, and wow I never thought about how it would make my waist look smaller! Lol, that kinda makes me feel better about them. :)
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Broad shoulders aren't bad! Especially if you want to look more athletic. That's my goal. I think you just need to find clothing you enjoy wearing and that YOU think looks good. Hardly ever will shoulders be something anyone pays attention to even though they seem like a big freakin' deal to us. I have battled my shoulders a lot too... to the point of never wearing tank tops or dresses which sucks. :( But you get over it one way or another. Being healthier helps a lot!
  • amluvstld
    amluvstld Posts: 212
    Options
    Rock those tank tops, Girlie!
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've got broad shoulders and rarely think about them! I suppose they support my large bust and make my torso slimmer in comparison!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Broad shoulders gives an appearance of a smaller waist line. And if one has wide hips, an hourglass figure. You can't decrease your shoulder width (since to do that you'd have to cut your bones), so utilize visual enhancement to take away from them. Getting body fat down will help to make them look less broad.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vick441
    vick441 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You look great strong, Jaina, love broad shoulders!