Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cardio type

HumaFahad
HumaFahad Posts: 3 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Which type of cardio is best for weight lose ?

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Weight loss comes from calorie deficit, any cardio done is for health and fitness. Unless you are using it to create a deficit from your maintenance, in which case, any cardio

All of this. I'll just add that the best cardio exercise is the one you enjoy enough to do consistently. But controlling your food intake will have a much bigger impact on your ability to lose weight than the specific form of cardio you choose.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,644 Member
    The one you find the most fun, because that will lead you to want to do it, so you'll do it more often.

(And @Look_Its_Kriss is correct - while exercise increases your calorie deficit, or lets you eat a bit more at the same deficit, it's main point is health and fitness.

Weight loss success tends to be much more influenced by eating than by exercise.

Now that I'm at goal weight, the 45 minutes to an hour of exercise I do on most days would usually be wiped out by an extra Snickers bar, or pint of craft beer . . . or an apple plus a couple of hard-boiled eggs - so it's not many extra calories.

It does help us to avoid losing muscle mass while losing fat weight, though.)
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    My favorite is biking to work. And I go for a walk at lunch. It's pretty low intensity, but it's relaxing and adds a few thousand steps to my day. :)

Do what you like. If you don't like anything, then walk. Listen to an audiobook or podcast.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    For weight loss I would say that cycling or swimming would be your best options and I would lean more heavily toward cycling. Both are fairly easy on the joints. When you walk or run you have a big portion of your weight driving down on your joints. When you are overweight the last think you want is to drop those extra pounds on your knees about once a second. Swimming is the better of the two for your joints, but cycling can be done anywhere with very little equipment. You can also combine cycling with your commute to work. Instead of wasting all that time in traffic, you can be using it to get your exercise in. You might even have your workout done by the time you get home in the evening, giving you extra time for other things.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I like plain old walking, outdoors on a lovely trail.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Interval training, probably.
  • mrspett323
    mrspett323 Posts: 85 Member
    Yep I do interval sprints on treadmill for 30-45 minutes
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,312 Member
    For weight loss, all that is needed is a calorie deficit. Since the majority of the calories your body burns in a day is what it needs to simply keep you alive (heart beating, lungs breathing, brain functioning, etc), activity is not usually a huge part of losing weight. From what I have read, exercise as a way to lose weight usually is not very effective, probably largely because of lack of control food eaten. To establish a calorie deficit, you can either do it with food alone, or with exercise, or with a combination of the two. Frankly, controlling food is probably easiest, maybe a little exercise.

Having said all that, there is no best. All exercise burns calories, some more, some less over similar stretches of time. That means the best exercise is: 1) The one you will keep doing. 2) One that meets your heath/fitness goals other than weigh loss.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,644 Member
    For weight loss, all that is needed is a calorie deficit. Since the majority of the calories your body burns in a day is what it needs to simply keep you alive (heart beating, lungs breathing, brain functioning, etc), activity is not usually a huge part of losing weight. From what I have read, exercise as a way to lose weight usually is not very effective, probably largely because of lack of control food eaten. To establish a calorie deficit, you can either do it with food alone, or with exercise, or with a combination of the two. Frankly, controlling food is probably easiest, maybe a little exercise.

Having said all that, there is no best. All exercise burns calories, some more, some less over similar stretches of time. That means the best exercise is: 1) The one you will keep doing. 2) One that meets your heath/fitness goals other than weigh loss.

This. The best exercise for weight loss is something you personally enjoy doing, because if you enjoy it, you'll actually do it, and if you do it, it'll burn some extra calories and help you maintain muscle while you lose weight.

But eating is the main route to weight loss, IMO.

Now that I'm in maintenance at goal weight, it takes only a small amount of food - like a couple of hard-boiled eggs and a large apple, or a Snickers bar if that's more your thing - to offset the calories I get from a medium-intensity 45 minute to one hour exercise daily. That's not much.