13»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,829 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    wanzik wrote: »
    I had a few cheap Walmart scales. I could step on them 3,4,5 times and never get the same reading twice. I was annoyed by that. So I splurged and got an Omron Body comp scale. It cost me about $130 but I think it's worth it. I can step on it as many times as I want and get the same exact reading every time. I do the full body comp every Saturday morning. I think it's a great scale.

It looks like they are a lot cheaper now.
    https://omronhealthcare.com/products/body-composition-monitor-scale-seven-indicators-hbf514c/

They're programmed to do that. They remember the last number they reported, and if they sense a similar weight they just show the last result.

I don't know about that and several people are making that claim so I won't debate it. I know I can step on mine, my wife can step on it (she weighs less) and I can step on it again and get the same result. That's consistent and accurate enough for me.

I have a Walmart Weight-Watchers body comp scale and it's a P.O.S.

The way to test is as I described (where you hold a SLIGHTLY heavy object, weight yourself, lay the object down, and weight yourself again looking for a 0.2lb drop on scales that are supposed to be 0.1lb accurate). Scales with multiple memories have been known to exhibit fake consistency based on the multiple memories so it IS possible that your scale is keeping track of both you and your wife.

As to the rest of it: Libra android, happy scale iphone, weightgrapher.com without a fitbit.com account or supported scale (allows manual entries), or trendweight.com with a freely available fitbit.com account (even without a tracker) to push the weight info out to it.
  • jujubeans1974
    jujubeans1974 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I used the Tanita HD 351 ... the model is older .. and doesn't have all the extras such as " body fat , water, muscle density.. etc ... " but the scale is very accurate .. I don't know what the original cost was , because it was a gift .. just looked it up on Amazon .. its pricey ..

Over the last few years .. I got several other scales... and was disappointed... because of the inaccuracies
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thank you for your responses! think I will splurge on a good set of scales.

I know I shouldn't worry too much about what the reading is but I find it extremely discouraging to wake up and find after I've worked hard for the whole week to find I've gained weight (when that may not be the case).

I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM. Because of this (and because Lyle McDonald said to) I compare myself to last month, not last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6846ZTBu08k&index=4&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr

wapcu9faq9ur.png

Yes! Listen to Lyle!
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitibit Aria and find it seems reasonable consistent with reading. It needs checking after a bettery change or if moved but I place an 8kg kettlebell on it and if it reads 8.1kg I'm happy that my weights reading correctly
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Huh. I can't get the same measurement twice in a row. At least the scale is easier to do.

But this is very much a to each their own situation. I prefer the scale but get that some don't.

Most likely not measuing properly. I measured just fine when I was heavier. Waist is the easiest. Hip I follow the same bikini underwear line. For bust wear your bra. Measuring, just like weighing in should be done once a month - twice tops

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I used to get different readings while weighing successively using my $25 digital scale from Amazon, too. Then I read the manual and it said my scale needed to be recalibrated whenever it was moved. Which completely made sense for me because I stored it on its side due to limited space. The calibration was simple - place on a flat hard surface, step on with one foot, step off, wait till all the lights go out, then weigh for real. No more varying numbers.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    OP posted 4 years ago, so reckon she's figured out what she wanted to do by now.
    00mawlwm1h2h.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    I got a Tanita and my floor is granite so the scale has been quite accurate. Sometimes to my dismay, but hey, I control the main aspect of it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png