Addicted to Sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• Medusa1591
    Medusa1591 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think I've gotten to a point that I'm sick and tired of being literally sick and tired
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    VoeWm.gif

Every time I tell myself 'just don't click on it'. And every darn time I get sucked in sigh....

What gets me is asking how to stop.

I'm going to be really blunt here.

When I was younger, I had problems with alcohol. I wasn't an alcoholic, but I knew that how I used booze was a problem. I felt "icky" about how I dealt with it, how much I over-consumed it and felt out of control around it.

There was only one answer and that was to ...

JUST STOP.

There's no how.

You just stop.

Rat studies show rats responding "addictively" to sugar. They also show them responding that way to fat and hyperpalatable foods. Everyone who thinks sugar is addictive runs with these studies on sugar and ignores the other two findings and says "SEEEEEEE!!!! Sugar is addictive!!!!!"

Rats aren't human.

Meta-analysis of human studies show that sugar isn't addictive as a substance, so don't worry about small traces of it in this or that or the other thing.

If you have trouble with certain foods and feel icky about your over-consumption of them?

JUST STOP.

Be an adult, own your behavior, and correct it.

<3 you

:blush:<3
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    VoeWm.gif

Every time I tell myself 'just don't click on it'. And every darn time I get sucked in sigh....

When I was younger, I had problems with alcohol. I wasn't an alcoholic, but I knew that how I used booze was a problem. I felt "icky" about how I dealt with it, how much I over-consumed it and felt out of control around it.

JUST STOP.

There's no how.

You just stop.

Rat studies show rats responding "addictively" to sugar. They also show them responding that way to fat and hyperpalatable foods. Everyone who thinks sugar is addictive runs with these studies on sugar and ignores the other two findings and says "SEEEEEEE!!!! Sugar is addictive!!!!!"

Rats aren't human.

Meta-analysis of human studies show that sugar isn't addictive as a substance, so don't worry about small traces of it in this or that or the other thing.

If you have trouble with certain foods and feel icky about your over-consumption of them?

JUST STOP.

To add on to this great post: if you have problems controlling what you eat, you CAN control what you buy and what is in your house. Until you feel in control, don't buy cake and candy and full sugar soda and fancy coffee drinks, etc. Until you feel more in control, just don't have sweets available.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Agree with the JUST STOP!!

If people can successfully give up heroin, Ice, Cocaine, alcohol etc etc then it should be a doddle to give up added sugar ffs :angry:
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    So I gave up sugar 6 weeks ago and there are really two ways to succeed.
    I cut out all added sugars for a full two weeks. If it wasn't naturally occurring in a whole food I didn't eat it. It took several days of planning to make sure I had the right stuff in the house to make it work and the first day was ok. Day 2 was much harder and day 3 was a nightmare. Each day after that got easier until I didn't really think about it anymore (and I was 2 cups of coffee loaded with the fancy creamers plus tons of cookies and candy daily). I had to do it cold turkey to succeed by I know people who cut things more gradual and did well.
    I would pick one thing to cut out each day and then keep cutting until you have the cravings and habit more in control. I found date rolls and 70% dark chocolate to be great treats but I'm only allowed one or the other and only if I workout.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    VoeWm.gif

JUST STOP.

There's no how.

You just stop.

Rats aren't human.

JUST STOP.

To add on to this great post: if you have problems controlling what you eat, you CAN control what you buy and what is in your house. Until you feel in control, don't buy cake and candy and full sugar soda and fancy coffee drinks, etc. Until you feel more in control, just don't have sweets available.

Excellent point.

I had this thought today, that we didn't evolve in an environment where food was so plentiful.

I didn't even, back in the 60's, grow up in an environment where food choice was as plentiful as it is now!