Does eyesight improve with weight loss?

Options
I experienced something odd today. I've had a mild astigmatism since my first eye exam as a teenager, but didn't need glasses until my 30's, which was also when I started gaining weight. I was also told when I got my glasses that I was nearsighted. I just wear my glasses for driving and shopping, because I see fine unless it's dark or I need to see something at a distance.

Today I hopped in my truck and completely forgot my glasses. I do this all the time, but don't make it past the end of the street before I have to turn around and get them. Well, I made it all the way to the store before I realized I forgot my glasses. I didn't notice until I got in Walmart that I didn't have my glasses and the signs were a little fuzzy. Weird thing is usually I see sort of double in addition to blurry, I think that is from the astigmatism, and I saw one of everything and was able to read the signs well enough to shop, which is unusual.

So, I'm wondering if I am imagining things or could my eyes actually be getting better? Anybody else find their vision improved with weight loss?

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced this but I think I read something about it recently - something about fat in the eye sockets affecting the shape of the corneas (presumably putting pressure on the eyeball)? Could it be nonsense or me misremembering? It's always a strong possibility. Interested to hear what others say.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2698026/ this paper mentions obesity as a risk factor in various degenerative eye diseases but there's no mention of astigmatism in the abstract - it does mention "increase in intraocular pressure" (pressure inside the eyeball).
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    My prescription for nearsightedness and an astigmatism seems to change every year or two. It is really annoying.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    My prescription for nearsightedness and an astigmatism seems to change every year or two. It is really annoying.

Mine does too. They keep switching back and forth between a toric lens and a normal lens in my right eye. Doc says it's common for the eye to change like that. But it has nothing to do b with weight loss.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    cmtigger wrote: »

Mine does too. They keep switching back and forth between a toric lens and a normal lens in my right eye. Doc says it's common for the eye to change like that. But it has nothing to do b with weight loss.

Maybe that is what's going on. It does seem like my vision is a little better or worse at times, but this is the first time I could drive without glasses in years. I googled my question and didn't really get any satisfactory results, just a fear that I have diabetes, thanks google. But if anyone can find me a sensible answer I know it will be MFP people.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I believe I remember my doctor saying that early-stage cataracts due to high blood sugar can improve if diabetes is reversed. I had them at one point and later he was unable to see them again after I lost a lot of weight.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Nothing whatsoever to do with weight lose:-( I'm unsure how cataracts can disappear also, that's strange.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Could it be a vascular thing? (disclaimer: I know nothing about vision)
  • kq1981
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Astigmatism is caused by the shape of yr cornea bulging or lens. Diabetes won't cause this. It's a reflective issue (the way the light shines through to the retina) Diabetes is systemic and does cause other macular issues. Prob need to have lens in glasses adjusted? Good luck with it. Eyesight is precious and it saddens me to hear about changes in a persons vision.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    It could always be that your lenses are changing with age and the lenses and corneas are cancelling out each other's problems.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I would suggest seeing your Dr and being tested for diabetes.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    IDK if any of this is factual since I'm not an optometrist. Weight loss could affect the fluid pressure around your eyes - less weight, less fluid maybe better sight. The skin around your eyes may have been fluffed out with fat/fluid, so losing that makes it easier for your eyes to see.

I'd suggest seeing your eye doctor and asking about it, getting another exam.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I think that age will affect your eyesight more than weight loss.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I suppose it is possible for there to be fat around the eye sockets, but that seems unlikely. It seems more likely that something like lower blood pressure or better blood flow (both of which can result from weight loss) might have something to do with it.
  • kq1981
    Options
    Weight lose doesn't affect eye sight.
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Obesity can cause strain and damage to blood vessels in the eyes resulting in problems like cataracts and macular degeneration. I'm not sure if weight loss can improve eyesight without these problems. More likely, it's that you're at that age where normal changes in the eye occur, hardening of the lens and such.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It can also be that you are eating healthier and getting vitamins you may have been deficient in.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    My eyesight has always been good, never needed glasses but after I lost weight I felt that it had "improved" even more, just things looking clearer and brighter. I attribute this to the fact that I was eating a greater variety and volume of vegetables and fruit and in turn getting lots of natural vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that are probably good for my eyes anyway. I read somewhere that there are a couple of studies (could have been from Asia but I don't remember) that show a link between schoolchildren spending most of their time indoors needing glasses and when they "forced" groups of children to spend time outdoors in natural sunlight, the children in these groups wore less glasses overall. I did indeed start spending more time outdoors when I lost weight by hiking and running outside, so it might have been that too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm blind as a bat without my contacts or glasses...
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think my weight loss improves eyesight theory is not a thing. I haven't had my eyes checked in two years, so it sounds like my eyes could have just changed due to age, I'm 35. Since I have astigmatism and nearsightedness I'm sure the shape of my eyes are all kinds of weird.

I also haven't had a blood test at the doctors in almost three years. So, I'm probably long overdue. My blood pressure is fine, but I don't know about the rest. It was all fine three years ago, but that was three years ago. Whether or not they are related, I do need to find me a primary care and eye doctor. I hate seeing doctors.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    My eyesight has improved so much after losing 80 pounds that I don't need to wear glasses anymore.

I attribute it maintaining a much healthier diet for years rather than weight loss however, but I'm not sure.