Looking to gain muscle mass without bulking

Options
Where to start...I used to lift seriously for about 5 years and at my peak was 215 and pretty shredded. Things changed and I stopped lifting for about 5 years, until now!

Getting back at it has been slow and frustrating knowing what I was once capable of, but I am finally at the stage of craving the gym daily and loving it.

Currently I am about 206 lbs and fairly lean. I am 6'3" and about to be 35. My goal is to continue to cut up but also put on 15 lbs of muscle. I know this is a difficult task but I am willing to put in the time and effort. With this in mind, I have drastically changed my diet, cutting out fried food, giving up alcohol (except for special occasions), limiting my sugar intake, and generally trying to eat clean. As of this week, with the goal of gaining, I have started to count calories (hence joining this community) and I am on a 3,500 cal diet.

So, I am looking for ideas and suggestions on all fronts, diet and routines. My problem areas (or target areas for growth) are legs, forarms, and chest. I hope the community will provide useful information that we can all learn from. Thanks!rhdyp21hb9dm.jpg

Replies

• domingoestradajr
    domingoestradajr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Are you familiar with the keto diet and Ketones?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1) Cut to 10-12% then bulk.
    Or
    2) Recomp

Personally I'd go for option 1 as your hormones will be optimal and you'll be able to bulk for longer without getting too fat. 15lbs of muscle is likely to take many years if you're natural.
  • arlanderbrown3
    arlanderbrown3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Can't say that I am. Is it something I should look into?
  • arlanderbrown3
    Options
    1) Cut to 10-12% then bulk.
    Or
    2) Recomp

Personally I'd go for option 1 as your hormones will be optimal and you'll be able to bulk for longer without getting too fat. 15lbs of muscle is likely to take many years if you're natural.

I am currently right around 10% but the goal is not to bulk. I want to gain and I definitely want to be natural to do so.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You have to bulk to gain muscle. You will gain fat as well just how it goes. . If you don't bulk it will take you years to see much progress. That's the truth. It's always the people trying to do things half way that font get results
  • arlanderbrown3
    Options
    Xvapor wrote: »
    You have to bulk to gain muscle. You will gain fat as well just how it goes. . If you don't bulk it will take you years to see much progress. That's the truth. It's always the people trying to do things half way that font get results

Right now I'm eating about 3500 calories a day. My maintenance is around 3000 but I am extremely active in regular life, should I be eating more. While I am just returning to lifting, I would lightly argue that the idea of bulking as the only way to gain muscle mass is the status quo and that there are other options that exist. However, I could be wrong. I am just searching for ideas outside the box.
  • lnaylor13
    lnaylor13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that your eating schedule will make a difference too. I found that getting in a scoop of whey first thing in the morning helps to move out of a catabolic state as well as switching to a scoop of casein (vs. whey) before bed to try an keep the protein synthesis going throughout the night.

Also, remember that each pound is 3,500 calories, so if you're eating 3,500 and burning 3,000 your +500 each day or +3,500 a week which is 1 lb of gain. Your 15 lbs will come quickly, but agree with the above it'll be both muscle and fat.

I use a tracker for a more accurate understanding of how much I'm burning, might help to pace yourself with gains if you don't already have one.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Xvapor wrote: »

Right now I'm eating about 3500 calories a day. My maintenance is around 3000 but I am extremely active in regular life, should I be eating more. While I am just returning to lifting, I would lightly argue that the idea of bulking as the only way to gain muscle mass is the status quo and that there are other options that exist. However, I could be wrong. I am just searching for ideas outside the box.

Eating above maintenance, lifting heavy... you ARE bulking...
  • arlanderbrown3
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

10% ? If the picture you posted is current you don't look like 10% body fat to me. How are you estimating BF%?

BTW - you are truly eating above maintenance you would be gaining weight then you are indeed bulking which contradicts your title a bit. Is "lean bulking" what you are trying to do (gaining size with minimal fat gain)?

PS - If you want to see someone who has had spectacular results from recomp look @Hornsby

I am definitely off now on my BF% now that I googled pics of what 10-12% BF looks like. I estimated using caliper with three measurements. I will try to get a more accurate measurement today. And I'll check out @Hornsby.

So as I said, I am really just getting back to weight training. It has been a while and when I previously lifted, I was naive to the nutrition aspects of training...being 25 and not 35 made that doable. So please bare with me. I really appreciate the information.

With that said, I think part of my issue is that I walk an avarage of 15,000 steps a day. So while I'm over maintenance, if I understand correctly I am, I am most likely negating the extra calories.

So yes, in the end, "lean bulking" would be acceptable. Or do you still recommend your first suggestion to get down to 10-12% BF and then try to bulk for real and then shred?
  • arlanderbrown3
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Jeeeze this thread!!!

I actually greatful for the responses...besides the spam.

Thanks for the plethora of great information. Very conscice and well written. I might start with your first recommendation...picking an established program. I have kinda fallen into old habits of what worked when I was younger because I could not find a program that I lived, but in retrospect I think I should rethink that. And as for nutrition, I think I am doing okay at present, but I'll adjust like u suggested. Thanks again!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

10% ? If the picture you posted is current you don't look like 10% body fat to me. How are you estimating BF%?

BTW - you are truly eating above maintenance you would be gaining weight then you are indeed bulking which contradicts your title a bit. Is "lean bulking" what you are trying to do (gaining size with minimal fat gain)?

PS - If you want to see someone who has had spectacular results from recomp look @Hornsby

I am definitely off now on my BF% now that I googled pics of what 10-12% BF looks like. I estimated using caliper with three measurements. I will try to get a more accurate measurement today. And I'll check out @Hornsby.

So as I said, I am really just getting back to weight training. It has been a while and when I previously lifted, I was naive to the nutrition aspects of training...being 25 and not 35 made that doable. So please bare with me. I really appreciate the information.

With that said, I think part of my issue is that I walk an avarage of 15,000 steps a day. So while I'm over maintenance, if I understand correctly I am, I am most likely negating the extra calories.

So yes, in the end, "lean bulking" would be acceptable. Or do you still recommend your first suggestion to get down to 10-12% BF and then try to bulk for real and then shred?

Remember that estimated maintenance levels are just that, an estimate - a reasonable starting point. Your actual weight loss gain/loss over time confirms your real maintenance levels. Your logging accuracy can also throw out even a super accurate estimate of course.

You have two options but both involve training hard/effectively and eating a diet that supports your training.
    With aim of adding 15lbs of muscle patience will also be required.
    1/ What is now mainstream - cut/bulk cycles.
    2/ What used to be mainstream - recomp.

Whether one is actually more effective than the other (for natural lifters) is open for debate. I've yet to see a genuine clinical trial that compares long term results and speed of results. Gym lore will state cut/bulk is faster or even state (falsely) you can't gain muscle without a surplus.

In the end it's your choice. I've never bulked/cut but I'm not you!
    (My potential for rapid growth is long gone so a surplus just means getting fat.)

What will definitely help you is....
    I used to lift seriously for about 5 years and at my peak was 215 and pretty shredded
    Returning to a previous training high point should make your progress quicker.

• blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    You can put on lean muscle without bulking... Im about to start this 6 week cylce now. I still lift heavy but increase reps. You dont have to lift heavy and minimal reps to put on muscle.... some muscles respond very well to this.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    For forams... try half cleans. Great for the traps and you will feel it in your forams to. Especially to begin with as your traps will be stronger than your forarms.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Honestly if I were you I would just focus on lifting consistency and performance using a reasonable program that has some form of progression built in. Lyle's GBR would be one example.

Set calories right around maintenance levels and lift and you'll do fine.

I'd make sure you're training each muscle group at least 2/week.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    lnaylor13 wrote: »
    Don't forget that your eating schedule will make a difference too. I found that getting in a scoop of whey first thing in the morning helps to move out of a catabolic state as well as switching to a scoop of casein (vs. whey) before bed to try an keep the protein synthesis going throughout the night.

Also, remember that each pound is 3,500 calories, so if you're eating 3,500 and burning 3,000 your +500 each day or +3,500 a week which is 1 lb of gain. Your 15 lbs will come quickly, but agree with the above it'll be both muscle and fat.

I use a tracker for a more accurate understanding of how much I'm burning, might help to pace yourself with gains if you don't already have one.

meal timing is negligible for 99% of the population...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Can't say that I am. Is it something I should look into?

No it's not. Keto makes it more difficult to gain muscle, and even then, you would have to experiment with TKD/CKD/ketogains styles. Carbs are your friend in a bulk (and even in a cut).

I will say, if you would recomp, gaining 15 lbs of muscle, probably would take 2 years. @Hornsby gained about 15-20 in that timeframe. Since you are a returning athlete, you do have an advantage.

Whether or not you should cut first, depends on if you can deal with the fat. Personally, I would get more lean first, as your body is more primed to build muscle. As you start to gain more fat, you become more insulin sensitive, which gives your body the ability to store more nutrients as fat. At least that is what i understand in terms of calorie partitioning.

pretty much this ..

if you want to cut/bulk/recomp you are going to need to get your body fat down to 12-15% range. Once you get there you can decide which route you want to go.

I would suggest finding a program and sticking to it for three to four months. Since you are just getting back into lifting maybe strong lifts for a bit to get back into it and then transition to something more intermediate...?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Honestly if I were you I would just focus on lifting consistency and performance using a reasonable program that has some form of progression built in. Lyle's GBR would be one example.

Set calories right around maintenance levels and lift and you'll do fine.

I'd make sure you're training each muscle group at least 2/week.

Cosigned.