Frozen Healthy Meal Ideas

Options
1. Three Cheese Stuffed Peppers - would go nice with whole grain bread and a light salad or alone
Serves: 4
Prep: 13min | Cook: 30min | Total: 43min
4 large sweet red peppers
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 cup shredded low-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons frozen defatted chicken stock, thawed
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Slice the tops off the peppers and set aside. Remove the seeds and membranes. Place the peppers, cut side up, in a 8" x 8" baking dish.
In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Cheddar, onions, peas, mozzarella, ricotta, stock, garlic, and basil. Mix well. Spoon into the peppers and top with the Parmesan.
Cover with the pepper tops and bake for 20 minutes, or until the peppers are soft. Remove the pepper tops and discard then bake for 10 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.

To freeze: Pack the cooled cooked peppers in a single layer in a freezer-quality plastic container.

To use: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Microwave on high power for 7 to 8 minutes, or until hot.

Nutrition (per serving): 194.9 calories, 4.3 g fat, 2.2 g saturated fat, 448.6 mg sodium, 22.8 g carbohydrates, 10.1 g sugar, 5.1 g fiber, 17.5 g protein

2. Four Cheese Pasta Bake
Four rich cheeses combine in this perfect pasta bake for a dish that's big on flavor but low in calories.
Serves: 8
Prep: 14min | Cook: 56min | Total: 1hr 10min
3 cups elbow macaroni
1 cup minced onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups skim milk
3/4 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup shredded low-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat a 13" x 9" freezer-proof baking dish with no-stick spray.
Cook the macaroni in a large pot of boiling water according to the package directions. Drain well. Place in a large bowl.
Coat a large saucepan with no-stick spray and place over medium- high heat until hot. Add the onions, garlic, and oil. Cook stirring for 5 minutes, or until the onions are golden brown. Add the flour and cook stirring for 2 minutes (the mixture will be dry).
In a blender or food processor, combine the milk and cottage cheese. Process until smooth and add to the skillet. Cook, stirring constantly for 5 to 7 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Add the Cheddar, mozzarella, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the cheeses melt.
Stir in the macaroni, salt, and pepper and spoon into the prepared baking dish.
In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs and the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Sprinkle over the macaroni then bake for 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.

To freeze: Cool the cooked casserole. Wrap the baking dish in freezer-quality plastic wrap, then in freezer-quality foil. Or wrap in individual portions and not in a glass dish.

To use: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Remove the foil and plastic wrap; discard the plastic wrap. Cover with the foil and bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until hot.

Nutrition (per serving): 298.4 calories, 3.6 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 420.6 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrates, 8.2 g sugar, 2.2 g fiber, 18.1 g protein

3. Turkey Mushroom Burger (Mushrooms used to keep it from being dry)
INGREDIENTS
2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
8 ounces white mushrooms, wiped clean
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound lean ground turkey breast
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
6 whole-wheat buns, (optional)
Lettuce leaves & tomato slices, for garnish
PREPARATION
Place bread in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl. Pulse mushrooms in the food processor until finely chopped.
Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and the mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add to the breadcrumbs and let cool completely, 15 to 20 minutes.
Add ground turkey, egg, dill, mustard, salt and pepper to the mushroom mixture; mix well with a potato masher. With dampened hands, form the mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties, using about 1/2 cup for each.
If you're going to cook right away grill on the barbeque or bake in the oven

TIPS & NOTES
Make Ahead Freezing Tip: Prepare through Step 4. Wrap individually and refrigerate for up to 8 hours or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking.
Ingredient Note: Lean ground turkey breast has 110 calories and 1 gram fat per 3-ounce serving, compared to 193 calories and 11 grams fat in regular ground turkey (which may include leg meat and skin).

NUTRITION
Per serving (without buns or garnishes): 193 calories; 10 g fat ( 2 g sat, 5 g mono ); 95 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 418 mg sodium; 383 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 383 mg potassium (19% dv).

4. Frozen French Fries
You will need:
Potatoes
Olive oil
Seasoning you like
-Peel the potatoes if you want or leave the peel on wash then cut or use fry cutter to the size and shape of fries you want
-Put prepared potatoes in cold water with a tiny bit of salt to prevent browning until you have finished cutting the amount you want to freeze
-Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F)
-Drain potatoes
-Dry on dish towel or what ever you prefer
-Put in large plastic bag with olive oil and seasonings, shake and place on baking sheet
-Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or till before done depending on oven and size of fries
-Take them out let them cool
-Flash freeze them in the freezer so they stay separate and don't stick together
-Bag and date them (push out air) then when you are craving fries pull the amount out you want to cook place on pan cook for 15 - 20 mins at 425 degrees (f)

5. Slow Cooker Southwestern 2 Bean Chicken

(Makes approximately 10 cups)
Ingredients:
4 raw, boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 8 oz. each)
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans (rinsed and drained) or 1 1/3 cup home cooked beans
1 (15 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained) or 1 1/3 cup home cooked beans
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice, low sodium is best
1 pound frozen and thawed corn
Directions:
1. Place the chicken breasts on the bottom of your slow cooker. Pour the tomatoes over that and then layer on the beans and corn.
2. Cook on low for 5-7 hours, or until the chicken easily falls apart when the pot is stirred.
Nutritional Content:
(Data is for 1 cup) NOTE: Be careful when purchasing canned beans as the sodium content can really add up. Also when fully cooled it can be frozen

Nutrition: Calories 292 Total Fat 5 gm Saturated Fats 1 gm Trans Fats 0 gm Cholesterol 42 mg Sodium 54 mg (?) Carbohydrates 33 gm Dietary fiber: 9 gm Sugars: 3 gm Protein: 30 gm

Because I bought a freezer I looked up quite a few recipies on the internet. I like basic easy stuff not complicated gormet food to cook and freeze so I thought I would share them with you. I hope you like them! If you want more just send me a message and I'll post some more.

Replies

• littlelady2b
    littlelady2b Posts: 104
    Options
    I have no idea how to post pictures if you can tell me how I will add them if possible. I tried but they didn't work.
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy thanks for posting bump
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to post pictures if you can tell me how I will add them if possible. I tried but they didn't work.

oh these sound so good!! and you add pictures by setting up the link like this:

[ img ] http://nameoflinkforimage.com/ [ /img ]
    except you take the spaces out in the parenthesis! i'd love to see your pics and thanks for sharing your recipes. i'm always looking for ways to spice up my weekly meals and being able to freeze for later is amazing!
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bump!