Need help with 2 year plateau

Options
Hello everyone!

I have been lurking on mfp for 4-5 years (I think) and I have a problem, I struggle a lot to lose weight, and for the past 2 years, nothing at all has fallen off. I have shaken up my workouts, and I am getting worried as I have dropped to an average of about 1350 a day, I know that for a female who is 5ft9 and about 155-160lbs this is unhealthy, but it feel like nothing else is working and I'm getting scared I'm going to wreck my metabolism on such a low number. Before I was on 1700 average, then 1550 and still nothing has dropped. I'm at the end of my tether and don't know what else to do.

I weigh everything, we only go out to eat once a month so I'm not vastly under/overestimating calories (I do all the cooking) and I have a polar watch hrm for workouts. I just don't know what else to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Are you logging everything too, and using correct entries? Are you eating back exercise calories?

Anyway, you can relax about "wrecking your metabolism". That's what happens to Biggest Loser type dieters, who undereat and overtrain and lose a lot of weight in a too short time. Not to ordinary dieters, and certainly not to dieters who don't lose weight.
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am logging food, I use the polar app more for exercises as its automatic and I can check between the two easily ( I usually put the polar info into mfp a couple of times a week). I don't eat back exercise calories.
  • kommodevaran
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Are you weighing and logging everything? Sauces, oils, drinks, licks, tastes and bites? Are you using entres that have the same values as the foods you are eating?
  • Serafimangel
    Options
    Yep, I use spray oil, non stick pans and weigh and log butter when I use that. I only drink green tea or ginger tea or peppermint (etc) if I have a cappuccino I log it (once a week max) and helpfully the place I get my groceries has all their nutritional info online so I can get it there if I've chucked the packet out. I weight everything. If I'm splitting food with my bf then I have half or if it's pasta I weigh mine and do it in a different pot.
  • Serafimangel
    Options
    The weighing food thing I've been doing for 5+ years, and it worked for the first three, that's why I'm so baffled it just stopped working two years ago. I haven't put on any weight, logically dropping my daily average should be working?
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    If you are maintaining weight (which it seems you are), you just have to drop your intake from what you are eating now. A daily deficit of 500 calories will lead to an average weekly loss of about a pound.
  • Serafimangel
    Options
    Thanks for your replies :)

My boyfriend loves my body and everyone thinks it is fine, I used to be anorexic so this mindset has stuck with me to an extent, I have tried changing my workouts (more weights and Pilates to be stronger and more flexible) along with cardio and have tried to recondition my body. I just can't help wanting to shift a few extra pounds because being 5ft9 I feel bigger than all the girls in my work anyway and it just wears me down feeling taller and heavier.