Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Advice on Recomp for Female (from female preferably)

Options
EmmaShazam
EmmaShazam Posts: 23 Member
Hi! Well I reached my number goal awhile ago. About 5 months I lost 50lbs and extra 15 since then. Now I'm sitting comfortably in the middle of the healthy bmi but I still have fat I'd like to lose and muscle I'd like to gain. How did you do it? Should I watch my macros more? Did you set your food to maintain, lose, or gain? What kind of workout did you do? Any help and advice would be nice.

Cheers xEmma

Replies

• EmmaShazam
    Options
    Thank you @quiksyver296 I'll definitely have to up my protein! And up my weights☺️
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I set my goal to maintain, watched protein, and lifted. I felt that recomp shouldn't have to be perfect macros or logging. There were times I only logged enough food to ensure I hit my protein goal and then I watched my weight trends to make sure that I stayed within a 7 pound range. I personally dislike Stronglifts and all other strength type programming, so I followed PHUL and PHAT (PHUL being my favorite).
  • Hensonator1084
    Hensonator1084 Posts: 195 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I wouldnt eat at maintenance recompimg is a slow process, if i was you i would do the 5x5 stronglift program like quicksilver said but i would eat your calories at a slight surplus like just 100 to 200 above maintainence and with that you will still lose fat as your metabolism increase due to lifting heavy
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I wouldnt eat at maintenance recompimg is a slow process, if i was you i would do the 5x5 stronglift program like quicksilver said but i would eat your calories at a slight surplus like just 100 to 200 above maintainence and with that you will still lose fat as your metabolism increase due to lifting heavy

No. Eating at a surplus = bulking, not recomping. And that means you'll add fat, not lose it.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    What is your long term goal? Are you training for a sport? Are you pre-child rearing or post child rearing? Because a lot of the advice on this stuff is written for guys, not girls. Girls need a specific amount of body fat to have a period and to sustain fertility. Anyone who tells you that body fat is bad shouldn't be listened to. However you train, you should make sure that your BMI allows you to menstruate (even if you are on BCP and elect to not have a period.) Going below the recommended BMI for your height and weight can affect your hormone production and affect your fertility in the future. Your body sees all of the “weight training” as a stressor and that affects your hormones. Just my 2 cents.
  • EmmaShazam
    Options
    I'm not looking to be in body building competitions and I'm not training for anything. Just looking to loose extra fat and gain some muscle to just be overall healthier and stronger.