Are you on a 'program?'

Options
2»

Replies

• ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For me personally: I do not subscribe to any plan that cuts out an entire food group.
    Next: I hate the word diet. It implies temporary. There are too many that think once they hit their goal they can go back to eating what they want. Then they are left wondering what happened?

I use a common sense approach. I watch my cholesterol intake, added sugars, sodium, trans& saturated fats and I sort of watch calories out of the corner of my eye so to speak.
    It works. I've lost weight. I battle high cholesterol, high BP, and elevated blood glucose. Now all are back to normal.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I use the Stronglifts program and I recently finished the C25K running program. I love programs for fitness, but I have a hard time with food restrictions. You could say MFP is a program, because you have a set number of calories to eat. That is as far as I'm willing to go these days. Someday I may add in macros and eating 5 servings of fruit and veg a day, but I'm not ready for that kind of work.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I had never really actively tried to lose weight before finding MFP about 4 years ago. I always thought it would be really hard and miserable and I just wasn't motivated enough to "diet" especially if it meant cutting things out that I liked to eat. I sort of stumbled onto it, but once I got here, and started reading the forums - I realized that many of the most successful people here focused on eating a balanced diet while continuing to enjoy all the foods they loved in moderation. And that weight loss really comes down to a mathematical equation of CI<CO.

So I made up my mind that rather than cutting things out of my life, I was going to add things to it - more vegetables, more protein, more whole grains, more exercise, more sleep - and by doing that, my day would be filled up with more balanced, healthy choices but still leave room for small amounts of treats in moderation. I lost the weight I set out to lose (>30 lbs) and am currently maintaining, while still enjoying things like pizza, wine, cookies and ice cream on a regular basis - amidst the many other healthy foods I eat.
  • abundantlyme
    abundantlyme Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I had never really actively tried to lose weight before finding MFP about 4 years ago. I always thought it would be really hard and miserable and I just wasn't motivated enough to "diet" especially if it meant cutting things out that I liked to eat. I sort of stumbled onto it, but once I got here, and started reading the forums - I realized that many of the most successful people here focused on eating a balanced diet while continuing to enjoy all the foods they loved in moderation. And that weight loss really comes down to a mathematical equation of CI<CO.

So I made up my mind that rather than cutting things out of my life, I was going to add things to it - more vegetables, more protein, more whole grains, more exercise, more sleep - and by doing that, my day would be filled up with more balanced, healthy choices but still leave room for small amounts of treats in moderation. I lost the weight I set out to lose (>30 lbs) and am currently maintaining, while still enjoying things like pizza, wine, cookies and ice cream on a regular basis - amidst the many other healthy foods I eat.

I love this! Thank you :) And cheers!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I've done the 1200 calorie thing, paleo/low carb, something else for less than a week, and really it's just finding out what is a sustainable option for you. I eat whatever I want (obviously in moderation), and that keeps me from just really craving something. I've learned that I need a mix of protein, fats and a little carbs to help me feel satisfied after a meal, but others it's just fats, or protein and fats, etc. It may take a little tweaking, but you'll find out what works best for you.
    Also well said to @WinoGelato , I had a bagel this morning. :wink:
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm on a plan - but I am working with a RD and a few sports nutrition types to tweak my eating for optimal performance - but its mostly just making sure I get the right combo of marcos and fueling at the right times of workouts
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have personally adopted a keto lifestyle . Plans never worked for me.....just lose weight, put back on, repeat. It has taken me many years to realize that no quick fix, no miracle ...just dedication and choices. Do I miss a big old heaping plate of mashed potatoes? Hell yeah...but I know I can't . Found my best thing, Lo Bok. Pasta, I am crazy for, but now I get Miracle Noodles.

But I can still have bacon, and butter , and cream. That's a pretty good trade.

This is the rest of my life, I get that now. Plan on making the best of it!!

Why can't you have potatoes, pasta AND bacon, butter and cream? How is cutting out the things you like a realistic and sustainable approach? Not trying to be argumentative here, but genuinely not understanding how cutting out the foods you like is going to lead to long term, successful adherence?
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I like programs. I have done WW in the past and am on it now and happy. I did a Shakeology-free version of the 21 day fix for pretty much an entire year and it worked very well, but it was too restrictive for long-term. I understand that all of these programs "work" because of CICO, but I personally am more successful when I follow a plan than limits (within reason) how much I can eat of foods that seem to trigger my desire to nosh on carbo-licious treats.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    No, I've never been on a 'program', not even MFP really (don't log). But I do have a program of sorts in my head. Guidelines that I like to follow to keep myself in line.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Programs are for fitness, not for eating (for me). I briefly flirted with some particular ways of eating after my third baby but I blame that on sleep deprivation and nursing hormones (seriously, what was I thinking trying paleo as a vegetarian? I could only eat fruit, veggies, and nuts. Ugh).

Sometimes I think we moralize food too much--and programs that tell us to eat this, but never that, or not after x time play into our desire for both clear cut rules and a group identity (honestly some ways of eating are essentially a religion). None of that is actually necessary for health and weight loss.

I've lost my baby weight and kept it off 4 times (35-65 lbs per baby) by counting calories. Any time a few lbs creep up, I tighten up my logging and drop my calories and they're gone.

If you're looking at an eating program, ask 1) is it a sustainable lifestyle? 2) would it be sustainable for me (see paleo comment above), and 3) are there a lot of folks maintaining this lifestyle for 3 or 5 years or more? I usually see a lot of hype on these diets, but most people I see try them are done within 6 months (usually much sooner). Lots of long term calorie counting maintainers around MFP.

• crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I read a great article where the author broke down the basics of 5 of the most popular plans out there. They all have one major theme in common: Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. When I plan at least one serving of fresh veggies or fruit as part of each meal and snack everything falls into line pretty easily.

Every time I tried to follow a plan I failed miserably (except WW). For me the changes needed to merge seamlessly into my life go them to stick. I was more successful making incremental, smaller changes and adapting the foods I normally eat to fit my calorie goals than I was trying to turn the wheel 180 degrees with a special plan.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Another non-program person here.

Any "diet" that had me arbitrarily give up on even one item or an entire food group or two was just not going to work for me. Especially when not backed up by credible, well-documented science.

I think the majority of people who initially try to lose weight pretty much fall into one of two groups:

1) Those who think that losing weight simply has to be punitive to work. Like a sort of time-to-pay-the-piper mindset. So the more restrictive or severe the diet or exercise plan is, the more they think they are atoning for their past dietary sins. Mea culpa.

2) Those who think that the latest diet craze has to be the way to go, if only for the one-up factor. It becomes akin to wearing the latest fashion, and only those who are cool enough to be in the know join in. But they'll sure let everyone else know how superior and cutting edge they are, though. And if it's celebrity-endorsed, all the better.

Then there's this rather tame group of us in the middle that simply calorie count. Because we know the science behind weight loss, which *does* boil down to an eat-less-than-you-burn-to-lose-weight simplicity.

Simplicity's not sexy, apparently. Or trendy. Or punitive. When people ask you how you lost weight and you try to explain that you simply ate less food, most of them will look at you funny. What, no miracle pills, shakes, detoxes, cleanses, weird or trendy foods? They just aren't interested in hearing that.

But it works. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Are you on a 'program?'

Nope. Never have been ... not interested.

Whenever I've needed to lose a little bit of weight, I've used the principles of CICO. :)