Potassium, Weight loss and Beet Greens

Options
CynthiasChoice
CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Since hearing that most people in the US are potassium deficient, I did some research to find out how I could get the recommended 4700 mg per day. Getting enough doesn't actually create weight loss, but it supports muscles to make workouts more productive, and there are lots of other health benefits too.

Unfortunately, potassium supplements aren't that bio-available, so you actually need to eat foods with potassium. If you're at all interested, here's one way to get 4700mg potassium in a 925 calorie diet. There's room to add in whatever else you like to reach your particular calorie goal:

Coconut water 1 cup
Plain Whole Greek Yogurt 1 cup
Salmon 4 ounces
Steamed leafy greens 1 cup
White Beans 1/3 cup
Pork roast 3 oz
Steamed Zucchini 1 cup
Tomato Sauce 1/2 cup
Beets 1/2 cup

925 Calories; 82 g Protein; 69 g Carbs; 32 g Fat; 37 g Sugar; 13 g Fiber

Other sources are Sweet Potato, Avocado, Banana, and all beans and meats have some. Squash and various seeds too. Fruits range from 100 - 300 mg per cup.

But best of all is beet greens: 1 cup = 1/3 of daily req. Unfortunately, most grocery stores throw away beet greens, but you can find them on organic beets or at farmer's markets. Drop them in an uncovered pot full of boiling water and cook 1 minute only. This cooking method gets rid of the oxalic content in beet greens. It's not recommended to eat them raw or drink cooking liquids. (source: Whole Foods)

Hope this is helpful to others as obsessed as I am! I'm always looking for the next promising tool to make weight loss easier, faster and healthier.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are good too
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Thanks - I missed that one somehow!
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I hear bananas, watermelon, and tomatoes are also good for potassium.
  • jagodfrey08
    Options
    Sorry. I somehow missed the banana and tomato sauce in your post. LOL Blame it on pain meds.
  • jagodfrey08
    Options
    Also - what do beet greens taste like? I hate beets. Do the greens taste like beets?
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    No, the greens don't taste like beets to me. They're less grassy tasting than chard, not at all bitter like mustard and dandelion greens, but mild and a bit sweeter than spinach. I really like them.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    But if you hate beets, what are you going to do with them? The only way I know to get beet greens is to buy beets with the greens still attached.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    If you have to eat low oxalate/low protein for kidney stones or other medical issues, that would not be good at all.

I've been struggling on my medically needed diet to get enough. But I'm on a supplement too.
  • zingeber
    zingeber Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The best success I've had with weight loss came at a time when I was focusing on eating enough potassium. I completely realize this had little to do with the potassium itself, and much more to do with eating tons of fruits and veg to get that amount of potassium! I was filling up on lots of low-calorie, nutrient-dense foods. For whatever reason, it was easier to focus on potassium content than getting "5 a day" or whatever. Avocado, bananas, sweet potatoes, and spinach (or really any green) were things I could just keep eating and not get tired of. Also ate lots of beans and lentils as I don't much care for meat. All of these were good options. It's funny you post this now, as I'm trying to get back into those habits again. I felt great.

Also, for those who hate beets - try roasting a beet and using it to make a white-bean based beet hummus. Or just chop them and roast them until they are almost caramelized. Even my roommates who swore not to like beets enjoyed them like this. We put them over instant polenta and drizzled with a tahini-based dressing. Nom