Just starting

Options
Hi all!
I am a single mom of 5 (3 girls, 2 boys) youngest being 3months. I drive a school bus and have decided in the little bit of time I have to myself during the day I am going to join the gym and get into shape. In the long run I want to lose 140 but I was told starting with smaller goals may help me not get discouraged.
I already dont eat anything sweet but love my pasta. I am not a soda drinker and besides my cup of coffee in the morning (necessity) I am constantly drinking water. Does anyone have any ideas of good starter work outs or any idea where to start? I know I need to do A LOT of cardio.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I wish nothing but success. Start slow at the gym. No more than 2 sets of anything you do. Very lite, get your body used to moving again. Most gyms have some kind of express line or starter machines that exercise each muscle group with one exercise. Keep short term goals and you will achieve your long term one.
  • KiwiJo42
    KiwiJo42 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like.
    I'd love to support youm I've got four children.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    mommy_x_4 wrote: »
    I am a single mom of 5 (3 girls, 2 boys) youngest being 3months. I drive a school bus and have decided in the little bit of time I have to myself during the day I am going to join the gym and get into shape.
    I would suggest doing something active with your kids, and then something else that you want to do in your "you-time". It could be meditation, a nap, reading, knitting, taking a bath?

In the long run I want to lose 140 but I was told starting with smaller goals may help me not get discouraged.
    Setting up an effective and realistic plan will help you not get discouraged.

I already dont eat anything sweet but love my pasta. I am not a soda drinker and besides my cup of coffee in the morning (necessity) I am constantly drinking water.
    One of the great things about calorie counting is that you don't have to eat (or drink) or not eat (or drink) anything special. You just have to create and sustain a calorie deficit, and that is easier if you eat what you like. Of course you'll want to pay attention to nutrition, because getting hungry is a foolproof way to lose motivation - but eating things you don't really like or cutting completely out what you do like, is also a foolproof way to lose motivation. You have to balance your needs and wants, and finding a calorie intake that you can stick to, but also makes you lose weight. MFP helps you do these things. But it's still you who makes the choices.

Does anyone have any ideas of good starter work outs or any idea where to start? I know I need to do A LOT of cardio.
    No, luckily, you don't! You can lose weight without any exercise at all. You lose weight through a sustained calorie deficit, which means consistently eating less than you burn. Your body burns calories 24/7, and it burns more the more you weigh. Exercise is good for you, but you should also be careful so you don't hurt yourself. Start slow. Walking, elliptical, swimming, stationary bike are usually low impact, but you may want to talk to your doctor for more specific individual advice.