No Cardio for Fatloss?

Options
I have about 20lbs to lose.
If I am in a calorie deficit, balanced macros, and ONLY weight-train, is this a good way to lose weight or do I need cardio too?

I know it's all about being in a calorie deficit, but am I wasting time spending more time on weight lifting if being in a calorie deficit won't allow you to gain muscle?

Chest/Back
Glutes/Hamstrings
Shoulders/Biceps/Triceps
Legs/Back
Total Body

I try to keep rest times minimal.

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Weight training isn't all about building muscle. If you're in a deficit, you can use it to preserve muscle and build strength. You don't "need" cardio, but it doesn't hurt to include it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do cardio. Should you? Well that is your personal decision.
    I lost all my baby weight without doing any real cardio (I am generally active and walk a lot though) - it is not a waste of time, I highly recommend lifting while losing to maintain muscle and improve body composition. I lost fat and decreased my BF% by getting adequate protein and lifting.

Why no cardio for me.. well I didn't have time, I didn't want to burn more calories, and I had limited time in the gym so weight lifting was my priority.
  • juliawhite4477
    juliawhite4477 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do both, I start off my workout with either 30 min on the bike or elliptical and then finish with an intense 30 min weight lifting. I feel like it gives me balance. I walk up flights of stairs in my apartment building now so easily!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Cardio will help fitness
    Walk ... It's free and one of the best things we can do
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your goals. Is this weight loss enterprise to help you look good? I found that cardio workouts improved my blood circulation so by consequence put pink in my cheeks. When I keep up on my cardio I get more compliments on how good I look.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    cardio builds stamina. and depending on what you do, can create a decent calorie deficit. plus when you workout, you get to eat back some calories which is nice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    And my 2 cents:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10346155/cardio-isnt-for-fat-burning/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I currently do a DVD that alternates weights and body weight movement with cardio, employing my chòice of weight per movement, and a step box that goes as high as 14". It's very effective but, with tons of high step ups, lunges and squats it can take some days to fully recover.

So to give my quads a lighter day I did my older step box routine with only my 4" step. While much of the movements were easier thanks to new strength, I still hit a much higher heart rate during the 20 minutes of full aerobics that particular workout provides, then doing strength training alone.

My thoughts on the topic are that doing cardio, depending on your choice, can help with endurance and heart health, helps with increasing your calorie deficit if needed, helps to eliminate water retention due to excess sodium, while giving your weight lifting muscles a day or two off to recover. Weight lifting disguises fat loss on the scale, I have to go by inches. Cardio helps to shake off that water retention.

Keep in mind that there are levels of cardio. Just breaking a light sweat during a brisk walk is not quite the same as hitting aerobic levels but walking briskly is a great thing to do on rest days. Your body was made to move. I'm currently at a sedentary lifestyle and 25 lbs from goal number 1, and 25 years older too, and I laugh at myself sometimes for my own need to go "ok weights today, then cardio tomorrow, or should I rest?", and I realize I'm way overthinking it when I used to spend 12 hours a day working with horses, cleaning stalls,.picking pastures,.grooming, jogging.them along with me on foot.

And now I'm.rambling, but, I guess what I'm trying to say is, do you want to just be shapely and lose fat or do you want to be really FIT?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Neither lifting nor cardio are necessary to lose weight (though I wouldn't recommend going that route)...but both are fairly essential to overall fitness.

You burn fat when you are taking in less energy (calories) than you expend. Moving more simply means that you increase your energy requirements.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights does burn calories--not at the same rate as more intense cardio, but it's not insignificant either. If someone is doing weights only, I would expect they are lifting for at least an hour. Unless you are following the "30 seconds of lifting, 5 minutes of texting" protocol that I see the high school kids following, 4 days a week of 1 hr lifting will generate enough calorie burn (1000-1500/wk) to help with a weight loss program.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot, hills are where I live. I didn't do much for a few years, a different geographical location, more urban, and I reeally felt my strength and stamina go down. I feel good getting back to it. Along with the floor calesthenics routine, yoga, body weight work, it just feels like the right thing for overall health. So, although it doesn't help for losing weight, I see the healthy benefits such as circulatory, heart strength, fresh air, sunshine, anti-depressant, are just so much worth doing it.