Is this elliptical accurate?

My husband got sick and passed away from cancer a month later after being diagnosed. I dealt with his loss by quitting work, laying on the couch and eating. I went from my average weight of my 132 to 191 pounds and a relatively short time. I decided it is time to make a change and I am working hard on my diet and started using the elliptical. I have to start out small because my muscles are week from all the laying around. I keep getting mixed reviews on how many calories are really burned on the elliptical. I work out 30 minutes have the elliptical set on intervals and at a level 10. The elliptical is saying I burn 244 calories in 30 minutes. Does anyone know if these machines are really accurate because I am using calories burned in my diet plan that I have set up with here myfitnesspal. Thanks

Replies

• 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    I weigh 200pds and 22min on the elliptical was 267 according to my Fitbit. I do interval type stuff too. So your burn seems about right.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Certainly doesn't sound excessive.

I'm so sorry for your loss and want to congratulate you on the efforts you're making to get healthy, well done.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Sounds reasonable - really doesn't have to be completely accurate.

You can fine tune your calorie balance by adjusting your goal calories based on actual weight loss results over an extended period of time.

Best of luck.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    Sounds right to me. But, no, the machines are not really accurate. They can't know anything about your particular metabolism. This number is an estimate (obviously). So I would assume up to 10-20% margin of error.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Purchase an HRM to measure a more accurate calorie burn on cardio machines. They are never accurate.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Sorry for your loss.

The numbers seem okay to me as well. Eat them back and see how the weight comes off over time.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Eat them back and see how the weight comes off over time.

I always think this is the best approach. No estimate is ever accurate, so just pick a method, stick to it, and then see what your average loss is over, say, 4 weeks. If it's faster or slower than expected, adjust your estimates.
  • Aundres242
    Aundres242 Posts: 7 Member
    I was a little afraid to post. I am definitely not as outgoing as I once was when my husband was alive. We were together for 25 years and I must admit I have isolated myself since he has been gone. Thanks all for making me feel welcome. Thanks for your answers. Great advice! You have all been so kind! My elliptical does have a heart rate monitor on it. I normally do no use it because I like to keep my arms on the poll to exercise them also. I used it today and it is saying my heart rate is 140. Do I need to have it higher?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Aundres242 wrote: »
    I was a little afraid to post. I am definitely not as outgoing as I once was when my husband was alive. We were together for 25 years and I must admit I have isolated myself since he has been gone. Thanks all for making me feel welcome. Thanks for your answers. Great advice! You have all been so kind! My elliptical does have a heart rate monitor on it. I normally do no use it because I like to keep my arms on the poll to exercise them also. I used it today and it is saying my heart rate is 140. Do I need to have it higher?

High heart rate is not the only sign of heavy exercise or burning calories - but I don't have any experience of the elliptical so others may have more to say about that.