Hello

Options
Hello, I joined MFP back in 2011 when I used the app to help me down two dress sizes and lost a staggering 52lbs . But then by April 2012 I hit my target weight and stopped using it and went back to my old ways. Over the following 4 years 37lbs slowly crept back on and on 2013 regular exercise stopped when I had major surgery and felt unsure of what I could do an what I couldn't do.

I started to suffer problems with my lower back and my left shoulder, and ended up with physio to help the pain go away. But the combination of surgery and lack of exercise had meant the muscles on my left side had wasted and only my right side was keeping me up. Hence I was in a lot of pain.

In August 2016 I decided enough was enough, sick of waking up in so much pain every morning that I couldn't go back to sleep, or waking in the middle of the night to have to get pain killers to go back to sleep, I started exercising again, and trying to eat healthier.

Since August 2016 with the help of MFP again I have experienced a significant noticeable improvement in my fitness, I actually have some muscle definition. My asthma is not so bad, I've gone down one dress size and lost 19lbs. I still have another 18lbs to go until I'm where I was at the beginning of 2012, and I've reached a plateau where it's really becoming hard to lose. Building muscle has meant that my weight has stayed pretty much the same for the last month to six weeks.

But I won't be deterred, I have swimming membership at my local pool, and I use the gym at work once a week as well. It is true though, fitness is harder over 40. But the main thing is my sleep is no longer deprived because of waking up in pain. And I have to remind myself that I am still 33lbs lighter than I was in July 2011.

Replies

• megd44
    megd44 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. Great job with your results and starting. You can do this, but it does take a bit longer in the 40s.
  • karenfladmfp
    karenfladmfp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great job, you got this :smile: