Calories and worriea

Options
Hello, I am 5'6 and 137 lbs. I have started weight lifting about 3 weeks ago and my goal is to lean down, get rid of that last layer of fat and put on muscle mass. My problem is I used to have and ED and so I over think how many calories I eat if it is too little or too much and I have a binge issue from time to time if I'm not careful. I have currently been weight lifting 5 days out of the week mixed with 30 minutes of cardio. I have. Even eaten what seems like 1900-2300 calories. Since starting three weeks ago I went from 134 to 137z. Since coming froM AN ED I am in fear that this gain isn't muscle but rather far due to my calorie intake. Any comments or advice about if I am eating too much or if this is the right amount for a women trying to shed a layer of fat and build muscle.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think you should ask for a follow-up talk with your counselor/treatment team.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You your not heavy just do maintence and exercise weights are good
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 5'6 and 137 lbs. I have started weight lifting about 3 weeks ago and my goal is to lean down, get rid of that last layer of fat and put on muscle mass. My problem is I used to have and ED and so I over think how many calories I eat if it is too little or too much and I have a binge issue from time to time if I'm not careful. I have currently been weight lifting 5 days out of the week mixed with 30 minutes of cardio. I have. Even eaten what seems like 1900-2300 calories. Since starting three weeks ago I went from 134 to 137z. Since coming froM AN ED I am in fear that this gain isn't muscle but rather far due to my calorie intake. Any comments or advice about if I am eating too much or if this is the right amount for a women trying to shed a layer of fat and build muscle.

Are you tracking calories? Because you said it seems like you ate 1900-2300 not that you ate that for sure. That may be toouch to lose if you are not very active but also you may not be accurate in your estimation.
    Did you give MFP your stats and get a calorie goal? If so what is it?
    You started new exercise 3 weeks ago and are a woman and your weight went up 3 lbs. Probably water retention. You could be retaining water due to the new exercise or ovulation/period.
    You are at a healthy weight so I'd say figure out your maintenance calories or a deficit to lose just .5 lb a week and just carry on.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    OP, I don't have any experience with EDs so I'm hesitant to respond, but wanted to throw a couple of things out there:

1. It is normal for your weight to fluctuate up to 5 or even 10 lbs from day to day. There is more in your body than just muscle & fat.
    2. Whenever you gain muscle you will gain a little fat, just like whenever you lose fat you will lose a little muscle.
    3. Should you be counting calories with your history? I want to tell you to nail down your calories but not if that's unhealthy for you.

Do you still have a recovery team or doctor? You really should discuss this with them if you do, as real fear of gaining a lb or two of fat is not healthy. Take care of yourself :smile:
  • jennylynn1342017
    Options
    First off, I do not have a team or anything for recovery. When the doctors diagnosed me with this, I was 19 and my parents did not think it was necessary for me to talk or see anyone because they said I could do it alone with them so I haven't really recovered due to never talking to someone when I was told to. Now, my parents and bf hate that I count calories and say that doing that and weighing myself everyday is what makes me so upset with how I look. Now I started the new weight lifting 3 weeks ago, but I've been running and doing Pilates for about 4 years now. I had a binge eating problem which is why I feel like I can't ever lose the last ten pounds along with idk how my weight I should lose if any in fear of getting too low in weight again. I do track my calories everyday and they are I. The range of 1900-2300. 1900 is my usual but I can get to 2300 on bad days. Now my workouts say I burn what my Fitbit says is around 600-800 on any given day depending on how much I walk at work that day and what I workout. I have my Fitbit set to maintain weight and that I have an active lifestyle and it tells me 2200. My only worry is that I've gained 3 lbs and I'm not sure if it is because I'm eating too much or the fact that I'm building muscle and idk what I need to gain muscle and lose fat.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,877 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates.

Trendweight.com connected to Fitbit and set to maintain shows slightly more long term trends. Weighgrapher.com allows you to visually compare to 28 days ago useful for females with TOM related water retention.

***You probably should ask your doctor to refer you to someone if you're still struggling years later**"

You are at a normal weight. That's good.

Going up a few lbs if your clothes fit the same or better is not a bad thing.

There is no scale weight stamped on your forehead when people first meet you.

They see a fit, or flabby, healthy, unhealthy, happy, or unhappy, nice or asshat person. Not 130 vs 135 vs 140lbs....