Did losing weight mess with your cycle?

Options
I committed to properly tracking my calories on New Year's Day. I average about 1200 net a day (but usually take in 1200-1400). My cycle used to be 30-31 days pretty consistently but now it's variable and more like 39+ days.

This also happened last year when I lost weight.

Just wondering whether anyone else found their cycle messes up a bit when they restrict? And if so, does it even back out again?

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have found that not so much restriction causes mine to whack out, but an increase in exercise does. But I'm on birth control, so it still stays pretty regular give or take a few days. It does eventually even back out.

How many times has this happened so far this time? Or, if those is the first time, are you sure you aren't pregnant? If it continues, I would get checked out. If it has happened in the past with the same activities, it probably is linked to the restricting, but a gyno can assist with that.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    I have found that not so much restriction causes mine to whack out, but an increase in exercise does. But I'm on birth control, so it still stays pretty regular give or take a few days.

How many times has this happened so far this time? Or, if those is the first time, are you sure you aren't pregnant? If it has happened before, and it continues, I would get checked out.

I don't exercise apart from walking so I doubt it's that for me. It happened this time last year when I restricted for a couple of months but went back to normal eventually when I stopped tracking and and ate more. And yep there's no chance I'm pregnant haha
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I have found that not so much restriction causes mine to whack out, but an increase in exercise does. But I'm on birth control, so it still stays pretty regular give or take a few days. It does eventually even back out.

How many times has this happened so far this time? Or, if those is the first time, are you sure you aren't pregnant? If it continues, I would get checked out. If it has happened in the past with the same activities, it probably is linked to the restricting, but a gyno can assist with that.

I think this is my (6 year) problem. I've only had 3 periods (in a short time span) in the past 6 years, they reappeared after I had an extensive break from weight training. Started training again and they stopped. Been to numerous Dr's and had many tests, all of which show no issues.
  • vespiquenn
    Options
    I have found that not so much restriction causes mine to whack out, but an increase in exercise does. But I'm on birth control, so it still stays pretty regular give or take a few days.

How many times has this happened so far this time? Or, if those is the first time, are you sure you aren't pregnant? If it has happened before, and it continues, I would get checked out.

I don't exercise apart from walking so I doubt it's that for me. It happened this time last year when I restricted for a couple of months but went back to normal eventually when I stopped tracking and and ate more. And yep there's no chance I'm pregnant haha

What are your stats and calories goals? Typically a loss or change in period due to diet can mean that you aren't getting the necessary nutrients, including things like fat and protein. It still very well could be that initial shock of the system, but I would look into other factors to see if it is preventable down the road.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough you mess up your hormones
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options

What are your stats and calories goals? Typically a loss or change in period due to diet can mean that you aren't getting the necessary nutrients, including things like fat and protein. It still very well could be that initial shock of the system, but I would look into other factors to see if it is preventable down the road.

I'm 5'6" and ~118lbs, net about 1200 cals/day (eating about 1400 usually) to lose roughly a pound a week. Only a few more pounds to go. I have a small frame and not much lean muscle mass so only feel comfortable with how I look towards the lower end of the healthy bmi. I'm not doing low carb or low fat or anything and usually end up hitting around the default macro ratios suggested by mfp.
  • vespiquenn
    edited February 2017
    Options

I'm 5'6" and ~118lbs, net about 1200 cals/day (eating about 1400 usually) to lose roughly a pound a week. Only a few more pounds to go. I have a small frame and not much lean muscle mass so only feel comfortable with how I look towards the lower end of the healthy bmi. I'm not doing low carb or low fat or anything and usually end up hitting around the default macro ratios suggested by mfp.

You are already essentially at the low end of your bmi. How low do you plan on going? The reason you probably have low lean mass is because you do not weight lift or do any type of progressive resistance and your weight loss goal is aggressive. Although I do not suggest losing more but instead add in resistance training, your goal of a 1lb a week is too aggressive. Should be more like .5lb a week. So you're losing muscle along with this. So yes, your period will be affected. Your body is cutting off non-essential functions.. which isn't good.
  • emjam99
    emjam99 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I lost about 42 pounds within a year and while I went slowly, I didn't get mine for a whole 10 months. Now they're back and normal so lucky me. Lol, I think your body just has to adjust to weight loss
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options

You are already essentially at the low end of your bmi. How low do you plan on going? The reason you probably have low lean mass is because you do not weight lift or do any type of progressive resistance and your weight loss goal is aggressive. Although I do not suggest losing more but instead add in resistance training, your goal of a 1lb a week is too aggressive. Should be more like .5lb a week. So you're losing muscle along with this. So yes, your period will be affected. Your body is cutting off non-essential functions.. which isn't good.

I was planning to go down to 115 and then maintain in a range between 115 and 120. I think I'll take on your suggestion and slow down to 0.5lb a week. But I really have no desire to do weight training.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I have no desire for it either, im actually comfortable just being skinny fat lol

I know the feeling XD

Op your tiny slow the loss please to risk harm, You dont have very long to go any way you look at it.

But as for me i have PCOS so my periods have always been screwy, But they got more averagish wish weight loss. Until recently where admittedly i walked way more thn i should have and probably havent been eating as much as i should, And now im spotting horribly. So yes walking can effect them if your not eating to fuel your body.

Depending how you look at beter though.....I prefered not having them to having them to often XD Seems they just end and restart again -.-
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Jayde, my stomach as you saw is like a water bed LOL

Everyone loves waterbeds bb gurl dont even worry ;) haha. I look skinny till i bend in any direction then everything tries to touch the floor LOL
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    I have no desire for it either, im actually comfortable just being skinny fat lol

I know the feeling XD

Op your tiny slow the loss please to risk harm, You dont have very long to go any way you look at it.

But as for me i have PCOS so my periods have always been screwy, But they got more averagish wish weight loss. Until recently where admittedly i walked way more thn i should have and probably havent been eating as much as i should, And now im spotting horribly. So yes walking can effect them if your not eating to fuel your body.

Depending how you look at beter though.....I prefered not having them to having them to often XD Seems they just end and restart again -.-

Haha very true... I'm grateful at least that they're further apart rather than more frequent
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Pfft. Yeah. Now it's extraordinarily predictable. Every four weeks it starts on my weekend off. Boo!
  • jadeh218
    jadeh218 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I found the opposite, my period was shocking, but now that I've lost weight I'm every 27 days like clockwork and it only lasts 3-4 days at most.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    No, I've never had that problem. It can be a sign of undereating or having too low a body fat percentage, though - so take care. Female body fat percentage needs to be considerably higher than male because the fat is essential to produce hormones. If you are unhappy with how you look, but your body is reacting badly to fat loss, you may be better concentrating on strength training rather than losing more weight.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I just wanted to share this link. Its a story about a girl who was on 800 calories a day who went up to 1800 calories after she reached a weight loss plateau. Her body is better at 1800 calories. So many people on here seem to be eating such a low amount of calories. If you restrict too much your metabolism slows and you stop getting your period (because your body is trying to conserve energy)

http://www.womenshealth.com.au/article/weight-loss/proof-that-calorie-counting-is-sabotaging-your-fitness-goals
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Agreed 100%.
  • rachelcgn
    rachelcgn Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    For me it was quite the opposite. For almost 15 years my period came only about every 9 months, sometimes lasting weeks at a time. Now, down 80lbs they started coming every 4 to 6 weeks. Did never really miss them, but it feels good to know that my body starts to function normally again :wink: