C25K question

Options
So I always thought I cannot run. And then I came across C25K. I have been procrastinating about it for an awfully long time.

Finally I gave it a try today. To my utter surprise, I could run for 1 full minute. I could repeat it thrice.

But then, my ankles started hurting madly. I could not carry on after that.

I attempted it on a treadmill. Should I be doing something to ease the pain? Is it just a beginner thing and sort itself once I get in the grove?

Any help, tips and advice are welcome.

TIA.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Were they achy pain or sharp pain? Achy pain could just be that they are not used to the impact. Sharp pain indicates something else.

Although it's early in the game, I first recommend getting fitted for running shoes from a speciality store. It could alleviate possible injury and aches.

Do not be afraid to repeat days and weeks on the program as well. If something is giving you pain, the best thing you can do is rest and ice before it becomes an injury. That also means not progressing too quickly through a program if your body isn't used to it. That means maybe even working up the endurance with walking before running. Just because your aerobic system is keeping up doesn't mean your joints are.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Everything the previous poster just said. I've also found that running outside is easier on my body than running on a treadmill. Treadmills give me aches and pains that I never get on the road. If you're able to run outside, you can see if that's better.
  • nehaad88
    nehaad88 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Were they achy pain or sharp pain? Achy pain could just be that they are not used to the impact. Sharp pain indicates something else.

Although it's early in the game, I first recommend getting fitted for running shoes from a speciality store. It could alleviate possible injury and aches.

Do not be afraid to repeat days and weeks on the program as well. If something is giving you pain, the best thing you can do is rest and ice before it becomes an injury. That also means not progressing too quickly through a program if your body isn't used to it. That means maybe even working up the endurance with walking before running. Just because your aerobic system is keeping up doesn't mean your joints are.

Achy pain. Vanished within 5 minutes of stopping.

Thanks for the info.
  • kingleahnidas
    kingleahnidas Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion for running shoes! Good shoes can make or break your workout.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are running on the TM, slow it down. You want the running pace to be a slow jog, easy enough that you can talk as you run. Going faster increases your risk of injury.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    How is your jogging form, particularly your foot strike? How fast are you doing the jogging intervals? Did you stretch afterwards?
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between sore ankle muscles and questionable injury. If it is just sore muscles, I would just try spacing out the run/jog and slowing down. I am doing c25k too. I normally repeat each week before moving on because otherwise it feels like too much for me. I
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I actually find the treadmill way easier on my body and my cardiovascular system. I can run a 5k on the treadmill no problem, but with the hills and the different body usage outside I am using a c25k type program to get up to running that distance outside too. I'm much slower and more laboured outside. That said, it's the hills that are getting me now outside, rather than anything else. I think if I went to a flat athletic track it wouldn't be as difficult.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    nehaad88 wrote: »
    So I always thought I cannot run. And then I came across C25K. I have been procrastinating about it for an awfully long time.

Finally I gave it a try today. To my utter surprise, I could run for 1 full minute. I could repeat it thrice.

But then, my ankles started hurting madly. I could not carry on after that.

I attempted it on a treadmill. Should I be doing something to ease the pain? Is it just a beginner thing and sort itself once I get in the grove?

Given that it eased quickly it sounds like a simple adaptation issue. You'll get used to running and the aching will go away.

I would echo the comments about dedicated running shoes, although personally I'm not a strong advocate of gait analysis unless you're having problems. There is some suggestion that comfort is as much an indicator as anything else.

What I would say is that it's easy to try to run too quickly, which will contribute to the aching. Running in the real does make it much easier to moderate your speed to what's comfortable. That said, personally I loathe treadmills, I'm bored in ten minutes whereas I'll comfortably run for 4-5 hours outside.

As a new runner I'd suggest a pace that allows you to talk in complete sentences, as a reasonable level of effort to aim for.
  • nehaad88
    nehaad88 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    How is your jogging form, particularly your foot strike? How fast are you doing the jogging intervals? Did you stretch afterwards?

I think my form might be the problem. My husband has pointed it out on multiple occasions. I ll try to correct it. Thanks.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Good running shoes
    Good running form
    Take it slow
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    nehaad88 wrote: »

I think my form might be the problem. My husband has pointed it out on multiple occasions. I ll try to correct it. Thanks.

The observation I'd make is that there is no ONE TRUE Way (tm) as far s form is concerned.Forefoot, midfoot and heel strike all work for some people, and trying to alter it can lead to problems.

Aim for a high frequency, but short, pace and that leads to the most effective form with the lowest loading on the lower leg.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Mine wasn't ankle pain, but knee pain. And it stopped me doing the C25K for a couple of days. I tried one of the tensor type things on my knee and it help a lot so I just run with one on each knee now. You might want to try it.

But beyond that, you might need to slow down. I though I was slow at 5 mph and then found I needed to go 4 mph to finish the longer runs.

And get good shoes. Downside of running is the shoes are $200 Cdn. I'm used to spending ~$25 at Wal Mart.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I tried one of the tensor type things on my knee and it help a lot so I just run with one on each knee now. You might want to try it.

From the perspective of an experienced runner, don't try something like this. If you self treat something you don't really understand it's very easy to give yourself a real, enduring, injury.

Ankles are less complex than knees, but it's still very easy to do yourself proper damage by self treating.
  • eagle_74
    eagle_74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cold Bath..or Ice after running does wonders for me. Foam Rolling as well. Expect your body to hurt in certain places..Take it easy. If the discomfort makes you change stride in any way stop. C25K is a wonderful program.
    Basically it's just walk/run until you can run 30 mins continuously. It may take you 3 weeks or 3 months, let your body decide. Forget the 8week thing. It will take whatever time it takes.