It's different this time

I have battled weight my entire life. I have dieted and succeeded only to gain it all back and then some. I have dieted and failed more times than I can count. I am going to be 48 in a couple of weeks and I am over it. I have been looking within myself this past year trying to get the root of the issues I deal with. I don't have a traumatic past history, I do have real problems, we all do, but nothing that seems to doominous. I have been working on liking and accepting myself as I am in present state. That doesn't mean I have to stay this way, there is always room for improvement, a lot in my case! I discussed my case with a very good friend of mine who is a fit person who runs. She told me that I am a Sprinter and maybe I should train to be a Marathoner. Ha! At first I thought she wanted me to RUN! She laughed and said no. She explained that it seems I get all gung ho about a diet and/or exercise program and start off real strong and stick with it for a short amount of time then quit when I don't see the weight loss I expected, which by the way, was usually very unrealistic expectations. She said to go slow and stick with it for the long run. Thank God for great friends! This made so much sense to me. This has motivated me to be brutally honest with myself. I'm working closely with my doctor and I just started working with a nutritionist as well as set a goal to work out at least 30 mins a day 5-6 days a week. I've lost 10 lbs since mid Jan and hope to lose 1.5-2 lbs a week going forward until I hit my goal. I think being able to accept myself as I am now is going to help me stick with my program and not give up due to unrealistic expectations. I hope to get some good tips from this site as well!

Replies

• karenfladmfp
    karenfladmfp Posts: 3 Member
    I am new on here & as I was reading you store, I was total looking in the mirror , I am a sprinter to, I am someone who wants result now & I know this is not a good thing I need to look at the big picture , make a life change not a right now change , cheers
  • Longtermplan
    Longtermplan Posts: 8 Member
    Similar story here, learning how to make permanent changes to continue losing and not letting it come back. Currently down 80 pounds but still need to lose a significant amount. If you are looking to add friends feel free to add me!
  • zingeber
    zingeber Posts: 124 Member
    Sounds like you are doing all the right things! I'd say good luck, but it's not luck, it's just sticking to it. I'm sure you will do well. :-) Feel free to add me!