Yuck!

Options
Ok so not by much choice I am medically ordered to avoid weight lifting for a while thanks to a head injury. So after being out of the circuit for many months.

How do I make cardio fun? I have never been a fan of it at all. Bad ankle and knee so running has never been a pleasure and more times than not a righteous pain! So I am asking you, the experts on how I can make cardio more entertaining?

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Cardio can be a grind sometimes, so doing something that you enjoy is really important. You'll have to experiment to find a low impact form of cardio that doesn't aggravate your ankle or knee. A couple that immediately come to mind are swimming and cycling. Rowing and elliptical might also work, depending on the nature of your ankle and knee pain.

As to making it more entertaining, I listen to music, podcasts, and audiobooks when I row. I prefer podcasts and audiobooks though, because they keep my mind engaged during long sessions.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Oh no! So sorry to hear!

Agreed with @CafeRacer808. Great idea regarding the podcasts and audiobooks. I'm going to try that on my next run.

I will use the "dreadmill" and watch my favourite TV series. Music really helps as well. Sometimes, I browse mfp or other sites, but if you're uncoordinated like I am, that may or be such a great idea! ;)
  • snowprincess502
    snowprincess502 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love cardio and do at least one hour a day. Listen to music. My cable company offers a music service that I loaded on my phone that I can listen to with probably 50 channels of music. Love it! Also catch up on my favorite t.v. shows.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    Go outside and walk or bike in nature. Put on some favorite music and dance. Check out some exercise videos.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,953 Member
    Options
    Yes, go outside to walk/hike or cycle. :)

Then also mix it up with some swimming, kayaking/canoeing, rowing, dance lessons or whatever.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Get outside, you will forget that you are exercising. Shoot some photos!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Can you take a class?