Breast Augmentation

So I've had breast implants for 10 years now and I feel like when I do push ups, pull ups, planks, etc. I'm going to pop them or I'm going to hurt myself. I'd really like to start lifting but I'm worried. Any ladies out there feel the same way? Have any of you worked through it and been fine or should I find other ways to workout?

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    I have no relevant experience, but are they really that fragile? I mean, breasts are pretty sensitive things and I think they make medical implants to be robust, I would have thought you'd be getting some pain if you were putting enough pressure on there to damage the implants.

But this is just my speculation. I just have trouble believing that something that's made to exist inside your body for decades without maintenance would be delicate enough to be damaged by normal exercise. But I could be wrong.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I believe there are a lot of body builders/athletes out there with implants and they seem to be ok. I think it may depend on what kind of implant you have and where it is positioned (Under the muscle or over it) But I would speak to a professional regarding your concerns and have the implants checked if I were you, before doing anything too strenuous.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    I don't have any first-hand experience myself, but a lot of female bodybuilders and physique competitors have implants and they work out much harder/lift much heavier than the average woman. I'd imagine it would be pretty well-publicized if their implants were bursting all over the place.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I would ask a plastic surgeon.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    You may want a plastic surgeon to give you some advice on this. Many women have implants and lift with no problem, but if you didn't lift before you got them the placement may not be ideal. Also, at 10 years old it's a good idea for them to check to make sure they're still in good shape. The manufacturers don't make them as "lifetime" devices and it's suggest to have a check in at the 10 year mark.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,971 Member
    As a breast cancer survivor and rower, active among others who are also both, I know quite a few women who have implants do vigorous upper body exercise, and some of whom lift, without problems. But I agree with those who suggest a check-in with your plastic surgeon, just on general principles. (I'm unreconstructed, myself, so have no relevant personal experience.)
  • lily13189
    lily13189 Posts: 8 Member
    I believe there are a lot of body builders/athletes out there with implants and they seem to be ok. I think it may depend on what kind of implant you have and where it is positioned (Under the muscle or over it) But I would speak to a professional regarding your concerns and have the implants checked if I were you, before doing anything too strenuous.

They're under the muscle. It's not that they hurt when I do push-ups or planks but then again I don't push myself that hard to where they potentially could. I guess I was wondering if I did push myself, will it hurt me or possibly damage the implant.
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    edited February 2017
    Hi there. I had a breast augmentation with a lift in 2012. My plastic surgeon did clear me to do any kind of exercise after my recovery period. As per my surgeon, implants are resilient and will usually last between 7 and 20 years through normal movement/exercise before needing to be replaced. Check with your surgeon if you're worried, but mine told me I can do any upper body training I like without fear of rupturing an implant. However, there is something to keep in mind; since your implants are under the muscle, any exercises you do that work your pecs will likely cause some tension in those muscles that could consequently cause your implants to sit higher and look more obvious. Personally, I prefer a much more natural look and stay away from pectoral work, but that's a matter of personal preference.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    lily13189 wrote: »
    So I've had breast implants for 10 years now and I feel like when I do push ups, pull ups, planks, etc. I'm going to pop them or I'm going to hurt myself. I'd really like to start lifting but I'm worried. Any ladies out there feel the same way? Have any of you worked through it and been fine or should I find other ways to workout?

Many MANY female bodybuilders have implants. I think you are safe.
  • lily13189
    lily13189 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi there. I had a breast augmentation with a lift in 2012. My plastic surgeon did clear me to do any kind of exercise after my recovery period. As per my surgeon, implants are resilient and will usually last between 7 and 20 years through normal movement/exercise before needing to be replaced. Check with your surgeon if you're worried, but mine told me I can do any upper body training I like without fear of rupturing an implant. However, there is something to keep in mind; since your implants are under the muscle, any exercises you do that work your pecs will likely cause some tension in those muscles that could consequently cause your implants to sit higher and look more obvious. Personally, I prefer a much more natural look and stay away from pectoral work, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Thank you!! I never liked doing those exercises any ways so I'll just stay away lol