Perfect body on a woman?

Options
chrissy9382
chrissy9382 Posts: 17 Member
I'm a crazy yogi, practicing yoga upto 9 times a week and I recently visited my GP who told me I had lost a bit of weight- I used to be 7st 6 and now I'm 6.9 stone. I was super pleased with myself.

However a few friends have been telling me recently that they don't think it's attractive and commenting on how "skinny" I am. Now because I do alot of core work and yoga I don't see skinniness- I have a very nice toned stomache (a 4 pack) and my thighs and upper arms are well muscular.

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this? I'm not looking weight to be attractive because I know curvy is the trend definitely not "skinny" I'm doing it because I have a phobia of gaining weight.

So what's your thoughts?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Are you within a healthy range for your height and build? Are your health markers good? Those are the things that matter. There's no such thing as the perfect body for a woman beyond healthy and happy.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Our thoughts do not matter in the end.. Its how you feel about yourself. Did your doctor give you a great report card as far as your health is concerned?

To me health is what matters. Your body composition and how you shape that is about you alone.

• chrissy9382
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »
    My thought is irrelevant because I represent one person.

Are you happy with your body? Are you healthy?

I'm happy, but when people comment then it sort of makes you go overdrive in thought!

Regards to healthy... I reckon so, I guess I could eat more vegetables :smiley:
  • chrissy9382
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Our thoughts do not matter in the end.. Its how you feel about yourself. Did your doctor give you a great report card as far as your health is concerned?

To me health is what matters. Your body composition and how you shape that is about you alone.

The doctor didn't raise any concerns with my weight loss but she did say that maybe I need blood tests
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options

I'm happy, but when people comment then it sort of makes you go overdrive in thought!

Everyone has a perfect ideal, some people like skinny, some people like curvy... And some people even like a little further than that.

What's important, is that you are happy and healthy in your own skin, and yoga sounds pretty fun to me.
  • chrissy9382
    Options

Everyone has a perfect ideal, some people like skinny, some people like curvy... And some people even like a little further than that.

What's important, is that you are happy and healthy in your own skin, and yoga sounds pretty fun to me.

I just think we currently live in a world where image is very important... why can't it be like it was when we were kids and nobody cared?
    More people are becoming self obsessed with themselves, gyms are the ultimate confidence booster where image is really important, this is why I love yoga- shaping your body and learning to love it and to love yourself
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

The doctor didn't raise any concerns with my weight loss but she did say that maybe I need blood tests

I encourage you do that. This can tell you a great deal about your health..
  • chrissy9382
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »

I get this. I had a time period in my life where I lost a lot of weight without trying, but I was working out hard and in reg clothes, yeah, I looked tiny and skinny, but I was all muscle. If someone saw me in a workout bra top and shorts, they wouldn't say I was skinny. My friends gave me a ton of crap, saying I was starving myself. I was most definitely not. Don't listen to others. If you are healthy and feel good about your figure, that is all that matters.

Also agree with everyone else, there is no standard definition for a perfect body. Everyone has different preferences. What I think is a perfect body, the next person wouldn't.

This is perfect! When I wear normal clothes people think I'm none but I'm my workout gear you can see what's beneath! I totally agree with you- this is exactly what I'm experiencing currently.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    What height are you? Because unless you are less than 5ft then you are under weight.
    Plus that's sounds an extreme amount of yoga...5 days a week maybe? but 9 times...
    your post is screaming that you might be borderline of having some sort of disorder.
  • chrissy9382
    Options

I just think we currently live in a world where image is very important... why can't it be like it was when we were kids and nobody cared?
    More people are becoming self obsessed with themselves, gyms are the ultimate confidence booster where image is really important, this is why I love yoga- shaping your body and learning to love it and to love yourself

True yogi mindset would prevent you from being worried about other peoples opinion of you. You also wouldn't have a phobia of gaining weight. Look inside yourself to answer the questions you're asking here. We won't have it. [/quot

I've been practicing and studying yoga for 3 years now to get to the inner self requires alot of practice and encouragment, this is why I said "learning to love yourself" it isn't something that can happen overnight. My yoga teacher has been practicing yoga for over 10 years and still has insecurities- if you didn't then we would all be perfect wouldn't we?
  • chrissy9382
    Options
    What height are you? Because unless you are less than 5ft then you are under weight.
    Plus that's sounds an extreme amount of yoga...5 days a week maybe? but 9 times...
    your post is screaming that you might be borderline of having some sort of disorder.

9 times is only an additional 2 throughout the week. If you go on yoga retreats they practice yoga 3 times a day and some of these retreats last upto 2 weeks. Do whatever you love in my opinion. Do what makes you happy.
  • chrissy9382
    Options

9 times is only an additional 2 throughout the week. If you go on yoga retreats they practice yoga 3 times a day and some of these retreats last upto 2 weeks. Do whatever you love in my opinion. Do what makes you happy.

You would also be eating at a surplus at a retreat.

Using yoga to lose weight is close to impossible. I've been practicing for 8 years and it's never once aided in my weight loss. The calorie burn just isn't there.

Based on the explanation & your weight, I believe your friends are concerned for good reason.

I practice hot yoga, ashtanga, vinyasa, yin and hatha- I didn't mention yoga is the reason for my weight loss, I eat a heathly range of foods I just burn more calories than I consume. I'd rather spend the time now eating and exercising well instead of wasting many years of my life trying to burn it off...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'm a crazy yogi, practicing yoga upto 9 times a week and I recently visited my GP who told me I had lost a bit of weight- I used to be 7st 6 and now I'm 6.9 stone. I was super pleased with myself.

However a few friends have been telling me recently that they don't think it's attractive and commenting on how "skinny" I am. Now because I do alot of core work and yoga I don't see skinniness- I have a very nice toned stomache (a 4 pack) and my thighs and upper arms are well muscular.

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this? I'm not looking weight to be attractive because I know curvy is the trend definitely not "skinny" I'm doing it because I have a phobia of gaining weight.

So what's your thoughts?

From your post, I say your friends are probably rightfully concerned, not just with your size and attractiveness, but the impact it has on your health.

It is unlikely you are "well muscular"... You are just super lean and have visible muscle definition. That you are scared about gaining weight when you are already small is slightly concerning. You probably don't see it as a problem, or see yourself as you really are, and I think this is perhaps why you don't like your friends comments...
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    There is no perfect body. Everyone is different and a perfect body can have many shapes and sizes
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    Options

*kitten* what anybody thinks as long as you're happy and healthy.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this

I love athletic builds, but I have a thing for curvy girls. Little extra cushion too. I find that sexy.

Everything that matters is inside
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options

What they said.
  • shortgirlsneedlovetoo
    shortgirlsneedlovetoo Posts: 4,592 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this

I love athletic builds, but I have a thing for curvy girls. Little extra cushion too. I find that sexy.

Everything that matters is inside

Heyyy my friend. I knew I liked you. Only gets better.