Chalean extreme. General weights advice please

Options
I have been doing Chalean extreme and really enjoy it. I have power block dumb bell weights to 24kg. Use them all for different exercises. I have seen lots of mentions for other programmes. 5×5, strong curves etc. But none for Chalean. Is there a reason? Is there something wrong with it?
I have to exercise at home.
currently only have power block weights.
Am I missing something important?
All advice gratefully received!

Replies

• Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing chalean extreme. Interested to know if anybody will have any info on it.
  • Taliafinch
    Taliafinch Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Shamelessly bumping incase anyone in a different time zone can help!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I love Chalean Extreme too :). Having said that, my (limited) understanding is that most people here are proponents of more streamlined programs of the major compound lifts. Chalean changes which exercises you do every month and includes a lot of accessory muscle work. I don't know why one would be better than the other, so I can't help you there, but I actually look forward to doing the workouts so it's what works best for me! The other programs that are often mentioned are generally free or a less expensive book too. I'll let a PT or weight training aficionado fill in the specifics, but ultimately finding a program you enjoy and will stick with is the most important thing.

I prefer working out at home as well, so I tend to alternate a round or two of Chalean with a month of the Nerd Fitness body weight program when I need a change.
  • Taliafinch
    Taliafinch Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply. I will have a look at nerd fitness.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    CLX is a great program, especially if your concern is general fitness (I started with CLX and P90X). But they are severely limited in their ability to force muscle growth and limited in the ability to gain strength. So at some point, you will plateau due to lack of training frequency. Additionally, a lot of the focus is on isometric moves (both programs) and not as much on compound. And on top of that, it's mores muscular endurance as opposed to power.

Ultimately, it depends on what you want from your body. But I will say this. I was hesitant to move from at home workouts but once i did, my results were exponentially better in a much shorter timeframe. I have seen more improvement in 8 weeks of Bigger Leaner Stronger than I ever did with P90X (1-3), CLX, BodyBeast (3 rounds) or others.