hitting a plateau it seems

Options
2»

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why anybody is suggesting she change anything. Two weeks is not a plateau. It's completely normal in the course of losing weight to go a few weeks with no loss. Suggesting changes perpetuates the erroneous idea that cutting calories results in weekly weight loss.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Do you have your activity level set accurately? My age/weight stats were similar to yours and I have never eaten 1800 calories a day -- few exceptions (holidays). I work a desk job, so I have my activity set at sedentary. Also, don't eat back your exercise. This is just extra credit toward your weight loss.

Weigh and measure EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth!!! This is not optional if you expect good results. If I eyeball a glass of wine, I will pour 10 oz and call it 5 every time. Also, that steak I had for dinner looked like 4 oz to me and was really 7... Those two hiccups together could be 300 calories in one meal. If you a single similar miscalculation at lunch and breakfast - that is 600 calories a day or 4200 calories a week... Every calorie counts!
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't understand why anybody is suggesting she change anything. Two weeks is not a plateau. It's completely normal in the course of losing weight to go a few weeks with no loss. Suggesting changes perpetuates the erroneous idea that cutting calories results in weekly weight loss.

Virtually every post in this thread specifically articulates the fact that weight loss is not linear, so anyone who's having that idea perpetuated for them is simply misreading.

The changes being suggested are almost entirely to be more rigorous with counting calories *to be sure where she is*, but not necessarily dropping them (given that the "plateau" isn't necessarily one at all). When in doubt, that's never a bad idea to be more careful with recording things accurately.