Lentils: Types and Calories

Options
neldabg
neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I usually go by the USDA entries for certain, unaltered foods, but lentils confuse me a bit. Some brands list lentils as 70 calories for 32 grams (2.19 calories/gram), while other brands and the USDA entry has them around 3.52 calories/gram. All brands I've checked just list lentils as the ingredients, and visually look the same, so I'm wondering, is there something different about how lentils are processed that some would be less calories per gram, or are brands like Goya, Publix, etc. just understating the calories whatever reasons?

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't go by anything on a bag of lentils for the data when I log them. I use the "Lentils, Raw (USDA 16069)" entry in the data base since it matches the USDA entry for lentils.

Sometimes the bags are talking cooked or uncooked or who knows.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't go by anything on a bag of lentils for the data when I log them. I use the "Lentils, Raw (USDA 16069)" entry in the data base since it matches the USDA entry for lentils.

Sometimes the bags are talking cooked or uncooked or who knows.

Thanks for the response! Yeah. I figured as much. I just noticed that there was a split between nutrition facts for 2.19 calories/gram (dry) versus 3.52 calories/gram (dry) and wondered if there was a reason for the difference that I might have overlooked.