The dreaded menopause can I lose weight

Options
My mood is up and down and I'm comfort eating. Craving sugars and finding it impossible to stick to calories. Is low carb the way to do it? But I'm hooked on sugar and worried I can't do it. Any advice how to do it would be wonderful. I'm 15 stone now.

Replies

• croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hi

I haven't hit it yet but my friends have and exercise has helped with their moods - so they tell me - I haven't really noticed them being moody but then I don't live with them :)

Two are following a low carb high fat diet and are losing and one is doing WW and also losing. They all say they find they are dropping the weight slower now then when they were younger which is why I'm doing it now to make it easier
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Yes you can do it. The mood swings of menopause are very similar to the mood swings of PMS, just not as regular. Recognize that they will happen and have a game plan in place. Allow yourself extra calories those days. Have foods in the house you can eat a lot of. If you need that chocolate, go to a bakery and buy one brownie or pick up one candy bar at the gas station.

You will get through it and then you will be at that really happy place where you are too old for sanitary protection but too young to need incontinence protection. It is a glorious time. I love being post-menopausal.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was peri menopausal all through my weight loss and I am menopausal now.

Weight loss is slower.

It takes longer to recover from injury so I take care to do all my pre and post workout stretches.

We are in this for the long haul, honey.

Find a way to stick to your calorie limit. Plan treats and snacks including chocolate and sweets.

I'm a big fan of artificial sweeteners and I keep a wide variety around. Mio for my water. Vanilla flavoured stevia drops for my oatmeal and my tea. Xylitol sweetened hard candies.

Try this for a bed-time nightcap; chamomile tea with a tablespoon of cocoa, a tablespoon of cream, and two droppers of Stevia.

I also suggest this may be a good time to get on a daily multivitamin.

Black Cohosh has reduced my hot flash symptoms. That and a glass of cold water.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't have to make any dramatic changes; in fact I think you'd be better off reducing the feeling of drama and anxiety. You have to stop using food for comfort and start eating because you need good food and food tastes good. You can do that when you eat a more balanced diet - focus on variety - get in some fresh fruit and vegs every day, differernt starchy foods, plenty of fat, some nuts and seeds, vary between different meats and fish. Prepare tempting and tasty meals they don't have to be elaborate; meat+starch+veg is a fine dinner - and then to stick to those meals. You can do that if you shop for all the ingredients and other foods you need, and not buy sweets or other foods you just use for comfort. The cravings will subside quickly when you start to eat better. Trust me.

And you lose weight when you consistently eat less than you burn. Menopause in itself has no impact on weightloss. Trust MFP.