Parties

Options
FreyasRebirth
FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hiya. I was invited to my niece's 1st birthday party. Her parents are having it at a local bowling alley. What do you guys/gals/people do about eating (or not) at parties? They said there will be pizza and cake. The pizza seems to be made there, so no recipie-specific MFP entry. The party is at 4 and I have a little over 1000 calories left after breakfast (though I don't want to starve until then). WWYD?

ETA: I can earn more calories with my Garmin, although probably not a drastic amount.

Replies

• comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I would be strict on other days with no such plans, and on the day eat a big bowl of spinach & cod (and nice seasoning etc) for breakfast with a glass of super milk (<400 cals, very nutrient dense and filling), and then enjoy myself at the party.

I wouldn't try to fill every last all of those 1000 cals at the party... I might end up way under maintenance for the day, or maybe a bit over. I'd be happy eating a good amount and knowing that I'm under maintenance for the week.
  • FreyasRebirth
    Options
    Super milk? What is that and is there a non-dairy substitute (lactose intolerant)?
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Super milk? What is that and is there a non-dairy substitute (lactose intolerant)?

The one I drink is just low fat milk with extra vitamins. Sure. Water! The point is to get my core nutrient requirements with high bulk/low calories, and then have fun eating at the party with high room for flexibility but a reasonable level of fullness already achieved earlier so I won't feel like binging.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I would eat before I go, keep the snacking at the event to a minimum and be ok with going over a little.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If you know in advance what's going to be served, try planning ahead. Banking calories is a good way (i.e. eating a bit less on the days leading up to the party). That doesn't always work if it's something unexpected. For example, my sister threw a pre-party for my 5-year-old nephew. His real party is on March 7th, but my parents can't make it, so I got an email from sis saying "Come tomorrow; small family gathering; there will be cake."

So, with no option to bank calories and no desire to be nibbling on fruit or carrots while everyone else was going to be having cake, I:
    • Had a light, but filling breakfast (grapes, Greek yogurt, and a granola bar; under 300 calories)
    • Went for a 105-minute walk and burned off over 500 calories
    • Had a light but filling lunch (corn-based salad, dressed with salsa, relish, and tofutti sour supreme; under 300 calories)
    • Stopped at the grocery store and bought a large bag of Skinny Pop popcorn to be served to all at the gathering (i.e. not just for my personal use)

I went to the party with about 600 calories to play with, having already logged what I was going to have for supper that evening. And I had a smallish piece of birthday cake, popcorn, and fruit. Then I went home and tried to figure out what a piece of frosted, single-layer homemade cake would probably set me back (keep in mind, I couldn't weigh or measure it) and figured it was probably roughly like "Yellow cake with frosting, 290". Might've been a bit more or less, but it definitely wasn't some super-moist, rich and fudgy cheesecake calorie bomb. Probably had around 450 calories altogether. More than I usually have for a non-meal, but well within what I'd budgeted.

And, this is a hangup for me: I'm working on developing a healthier relationship with food. One thing I've become aware of is that a huge 'danger zone' for me is the time between my recognizing that I ate something calorie-dense and nutritionally-light, and my realizing that it's not like I've just undone all the weight-loss I've managed so far. That space between the eating and the perspective is where the guilt can pour in and my resolve to stay on plan can falter. When I plan and (if I know exactly what I'm going to be eating, as in the case of a restaurant) pre-log, I've found that I don't hit that danger zone, because I see that I haven't gone over my calories and it becomes "One sweet indulgence, please; hold the guilt." Not saying this is you, but if it is, planning and pre-tracking may work for you too.

• Erotyka
    Erotyka Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Either have a meal before you go, or eat in moderation at the party?

If you opt not to eat while there (either eating before or after) and someone notices, there is a small risk of questioning! I'm an intermittent faster (and vegan of 10 years) and if someone clocks me 'not taking part' with food I get quizzed about it - I think some people might read it as rude or as if they aren't being the best hosts, even though it's just that I'm rarely hungry outside my window or there's nothing vegan.

Chances are though... nobody is going to notice if you eat beforehand and turn down the pizza. People will be too busy eating pizza and enjoying the party to be observing so closely.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I usually eat at maintenance on special occasions like birthday parties. But given my past experience with bowling alley food, I suggest you eat before hand. I would save room for a piece of cake, though.
  • FreyasRebirth
    Options
    I prerecorded 2 slices of large pepperoni pizza, hopefully it is close and I can probably get napkins if it is really oily. That is ~740 calories, assuming it is anywhere close to Pizza Hut. I scrubbed the kitchen to get some steps and am making some roasted brussels sprouts for lunch. I did so much walking yesterday (long story) that I had 200 calories left over so I have some leeway if they bought a cake worth eating.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'd have a small lunch and then enjoy some pizza and cake!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I prerecorded 2 slices of large pepperoni pizza, hopefully it is close and I can probably get napkins if it is really oily. That is ~740 calories, assuming it is anywhere close to Pizza Hut. I scrubbed the kitchen to get some steps and am making some roasted brussels sprouts for lunch. I did so much walking yesterday (long story) that I had 200 calories left over so I have some leeway if they bought a cake worth eating.

That's a good estimate, even if it comes in less than that. My bowling alley serves thin-crust, square cut, so two slices of that would be considerably less, but a quarter of the pizza would be about equivalent of two slices.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Light lunch and enjoy the party, but don't pig out. I'm down 2 lbs since my niece's birthday party last weekend after a brief stall beforehand. 2 slices of pizza, a few jalapeño poppers, some loaded Doritos, cake, ice cream, and idk how many keebler cookies. One party won't mess up your whole plan.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Eat a the food that's offered in moderation so as to be social; just don't pig out. Even if you go a little over on a special occasion, it's just one day. It's not going to ruin you. If you want to record, just look for a similar entry and take your closest guess, which is what you often have to do with restaurant food anyway.
  • FreyasRebirth
    Options
    2 pieces of pizza (may have been an XL but I tried to find narrowish pieces) and a shorter-than-average chocolate cupcake. I tried to use similar entries. Syncing my steps, I got back home with -25 calories remaining. That shouldn't be too hard to walk off with two kids all riled up and in need of their beds. Thanks everyone. :)