Only meal replacement shakes. Is it possible?

Options

Replies

• Hensonator1084
    Hensonator1084 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Also if you eat solids mainly protein your body burns a lot more calories trying to digest it
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    I'm having a horrible time with portion control. Even with my veggies, fibers and proteins. I am constantly over eating. Which I know is all me.

I know the food scald game and use it but always go back for more even though I shouldn't.

I was hoping to use meal shakes as a reset for a week or two.
    The shakes aren't going to change your habitual behavior. That's entirely something you have to do yourself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Also if you eat solids mainly protein your body burns a lot more calories trying to digest it

Not enough to make much of a difference. TEF is a thing, a thing that is worth considering when making dietary choices? No.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Possible and inadvisable. If you go that route consider https://www.soylent.com/

It at least has all the micronutrients you might miss out otherwise.

You might try slow/mindful eating. A great deal of my pleasure from eating comes from the tactile pleasure from chewing. If I eat too fast or don't pay attention while I eat I may try and repeat the experience even though I am already full.

It's incredible what this alone is doing for me lately! I am used to just shoveling my food down quickly and getting back to work, etc...but I notice that since I've tried eating more slowly (putting the fork down between each bite and not taking another until I am finished with the previous bite), it makes the portion on the plate seem much bigger, and I am satiated on less. That would be my advice - try eating more slowly!
    This is good advice. Another would be to eat off 9" plates.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    If a person was going in for a gastric by-pass or a gastric sleeve, many docs tell you to only have shakes the week or two before surgery. With that said though, think maybe you might get low-blood sugar from such low calories.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I was part of a specialized weight loss program maybe 15 yrs ago, it was DR supervised and included weekly meetings with a dietitian to review all your food intake, plus a trainer. Everyone there started out completely on shakes and then started introducing more regular food as the program progressed.

Shakes are a good way to gain some initial control and sorta shock your system or mind. The shakes were powder blended with fruit etc so they were better than canned ones.

I guess I'm saying it won't hurt you to do only shakes for a short period, if you have an objective. But you soon need to start including other healthy foods that you will adopt for your normal diet.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    but-why.gif

But seriously, I can't imagine a worse way to lose weight. It would get so boring, so fast that you would just burn out and break your diet.

Why not work at your portion control so that what ever weight loss you do achieve may actually keep off, instead of losing weight, burning out and gaining it all back again because you havent learned to eat proper food.
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    DONT you'll yoyo I've done them so often then last year I lost 63lbs 33 of them
    We're on mrp I got really sick it wrecked my immune system gained back 38 over 12 weeks Weeks 1-2 is 90%! Water
    1. You'll get used to fast weight loss
    2. It comes back in faster
    3. You messes your body up
    4. No periods
    5. Hair loss
    6. Memory loss
    7. Exhaustion .... Ketosis in vlcd isn't good
    8. Moody
    9. Deprived
    10. Poorer

Then you'll end up fatter than you ever were

Don't do it I wish I never heard of these diets

This is exactly what happenned to my boss, two weeks of shakes : he lost a lot but looked sick and very pale and the next month + 10 kilos... he kept doing that and ended up obese .... when he wasn't as bad in the first place, this diet destroyed him but he was too stubborn to admit it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about trying out doing 3 meal shakes daily and that's it.

Thoughts? Pros? Cons?

If it were me I would not do shakes at all much less every meal.
    Pros- no cooking, quick, easy to log
    Cons- boring, unsatisfying, unsustainable, not flexible, expensive, won't help you learn portion control or calories, other people are eating real tempting food around you

I would say if you want to use shakes do not use them for every meal of the day. Have at least 1 meal a day where you have real food.

Plan meals.
    Buy less food. Cook less food. You can't overeat if there is only enough for 1serving.
    Prelog and weigh/measure. Make sure you are getting enough protein, fats and fiber in your day to feel more satisfied.
    Fill your plate with low calorie vegetables. Large volume, low calories, more fiber.
    Use a smaller plate. Eat slower. Drink a glass of water with your meals. Wait 20 minutes after eating before getting more food.
    Pop a piece of gum in your mouth or brush your teeth after eating. Leave the table or kitchen and get busy with other things.

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If a person was going in for a gastric by-pass or a gastric sleeve, many docs tell you to only have shakes the week or two before surgery. With that said though, think maybe you might get low-blood sugar from such low calories.
    OP didn't say how many calories the three meal replacement shakes were going to provide? Unless specifically stated otherwise, I assume it will at least be 1200 calories/day - 400 calories/shake.

Theo166 wrote: »
    I was part of a specialized weight loss program maybe 15 yrs ago, it was DR supervised and included weekly meetings with a dietitian to review all your food intake, plus a trainer. Everyone there started out completely on shakes and then started introducing more regular food as the program progressed.

Shakes are a good way to gain some initial control and sorta shock your system or mind.
    But your system and mind don't need a shock. You need proper nutrition and self-care.

The shakes were powder blended with fruit etc so they were better than canned ones.
    I guess I'm saying it won't hurt you to do only shakes for a short period, if you have an objective. But you soon need to start including other healthy foods that you will adopt for your normal diet.
    Yes, it will hurt to take away food even for a short while. It's good to eat. People don't need punishment for getting overweight (being overweight would be punishment enough), and someone overweight is most likely already fearing and possibly demonizing food. Food is not the enemy. Making food the enemy just perpetuates a bad relationship with food. Some kind of structure and a set of boundaries are necessary, and doing very hard and unnecessary things when you already need to do hard and necessary things, it just sounds wrong.

Sometimes change does require a shock or stark alteration to your routine to change ingrained habits. It's why people breaking addictions will often sequester themselves.

I'll assume she's tracking her calories and drinking enough shakes to meet her goals. No she is not harming her body to shift to a liquid based diet, if it is fairly complete and short term. Though it may be satisfying, there is no inherent requirement to chew x% of your daily calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    OP didn't say how many calories the three meal replacement shakes were going to provide? Unless specifically stated otherwise, I assume it will at least be 1200 calories/day - 400 calories/shake.

Shakes are a good way to gain some initial control and sorta shock your system or mind.
    But your system and mind don't need a shock. You need proper nutrition and self-care.

The shakes were powder blended with fruit etc so they were better than canned ones.
    Yes, it will hurt to take away food even for a short while. It's good to eat. People don't need punishment for getting overweight (being overweight would be punishment enough), and someone overweight is most likely already fearing and possibly demonizing food. Food is not the enemy. Making food the enemy just perpetuates a bad relationship with food. Some kind of structure and a set of boundaries are necessary, and doing very hard and unnecessary things when you already need to do hard and necessary things, it just sounds wrong.

Sometimes change does require a shock or stark alteration to your routine to change ingrained habits. It's why people breaking addictions will often sequester themselves.
    For most people who have an extreme lifestyle, even starting a more ordinary lifestyle will be a shock. There is no need to go from one extreme to another extreme.

I'll assume she's tracking her calories and drinking enough shakes to meet her goals. No she is not harming her body to shift to a liquid based diet, if it is fairly complete and short term. Though it may be satisfying, there is no inherent requirement to chew x% of your daily calories.
    Provided she gets sufficient nutrition, her body will not suffer. But her mind will. She's already struggling to stop eating. She will struggle a lot more after a period of not eating at all.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I find shakes (meal replacement versions) to generally be more expensive than real food, I find them to be unsustainable - I like to chew food and have textures (I've been on soft food diets, boring after day 3), and as mentioned before they don't address the actual issue which will still be there once you may 'feel' like you have a handle on things.
    The things to figure out is not if shakes are a good idea (here and there sure), but why you're having issues with food control.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Unfortunately we don't come equipped with a reset switch.

No, not a physical switch. But we can sometimes reset our thinking through action. I've done 'diet resets' all my life. I never had a weight problem until I stopped doing it, in fact. I plan to do them periodically for the rest of my life.
  • clothingcreations
    Options
    I do meal replacement meals for breakfast and lunch. I eat a low cal snack between breakfast-lunch and again between lunch-dinner. I do not like them all that much. There is no way I could give up my dinner for another shake. I enjoy a real dinner of meat. I am watching my portion sizes and trying to stay away from most pasta and breads, but I do indulge myself from time to time. I have only been on this app for a week or so, but on my diet for a month now and I have lost a total of 7ibs. It is not going as quickly as I had wanted, but it didn't come on over night either. I would say don't do it. It will cause you to go off your diet and splurge too much. That is just my option though. Goodluck with whatever you decide
  • clothingcreations
    Options
    P.S. I do 2 different kinds of shakes one is 150 cal and the other is 200 cal. If I where to do 3 a day istead of 2 a day I would not get enough calories in.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    To prepare for Bariatric surgery I was put on a protein shake diet for ten days. After two days I was no longer miserable; I was just weak. That diet did its job of shrinking the liver of all its glycogen reserves so the surgery was safer. Then followed a few weeks of liquid diet as my stomach healed.

I was very weak throughout and had to give up exercise. My job after surgery was to learn to eat enough.