What are your go to "free foods"

Options

Replies

• 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Water. That is it.
    Everything has calories and they can add up very quickly.
    More importantly, they can make the difference between losing weight, and "why am I not losing weight?"
  • haileydawn91
    haileydawn91 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love sugar free jello! And also I like to eat celery dipped in mustard. You have to like mustard to enjoy this - but luckily I do! :smile:
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If I have cravings but few calories left, I drink herbal tea. So-called "free" foods still have calories and can add up really fast if you're a small person with a small deficit, as I am. Keep in mind that FDA guidelines allow manufacturers to call products "zero calorie" if they have fewer than 5 calories per serving. Since I have such a small deficit, I even log Splenda if I put some in my tea. (The Splenda website states that it's called "zero calorie" due to that FDA loophole. So I log a packet as 5 calories.)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    If I have cravings but few calories left, I drink herbal tea. So-called "free" foods still have calories and can add up really fast if you're a small person with a small deficit, as I am. Keep in mind that FDA guidelines allow manufacturers to call products "zero calorie" if they have fewer than 5 calories per serving. Since I have such a small deficit, I even log Splenda if I put some in my tea. (The Splenda website states that it's called "zero calorie" due to that FDA loophole. So I log a packet as 5 calories.)

I switched to liquid sucralose ages ago and haven't looked back. I've been getting it from Amazon for a couple of years now. Before I switched, I too logged my splenda. Just so you know, the exact count per gram of Splenda is 3 calories.

I said upthread that I drink herbal tea with liquid sucralose, and that is truly a free food. Some flavors get a small 10 calorie splash of milk. I can fit those into my day too. I have a ridiculous stash of tea!
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    For all of those who are saying "But everything has calories except water" - I don't think the idea was for things that literally have no calories, but for ideas of foods that have nearly zero calories. For some of us volume eaters, those foods make a huge difference. There is an enormous calorie difference between eating 36 oz. of peanut butter vs. eating 2 gallons of pickles. Yes, pickles have calories, but it is so close to zero that eating in large quantities when hungry is rarely going to put someone over their calories goals unless they are already at or above their daily limit.

I'm pretty sure these types of foods with very low calorie content for high volumes of food is what OP is looking for.

Maybe not, but sodium can be a huge consideration for many people and pickles are high in sodium.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

I switched to liquid sucralose ages ago and haven't looked back. I've been getting it from Amazon for a couple of years now. Before I switched, I too logged my splenda. Just so you know, the exact count per gram of Splenda is 3 calories.

I said upthread that I drink herbal tea with liquid sucralose, and that is truly a free food. Some flavors get a small 10 calorie splash of milk. I can fit those into my day too. I have a ridiculous stash of tea!

Whoa. This actually shocked me. Splenda has only 1 calorie less than sugar per gram?! I'd rather have sugar!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited February 2017
    Options

Whoa. This actually shocked me. Splenda has only 1 calorie less than sugar per gram?! I'd rather have sugar!

There's a difference in sweetening power per gram, though. A gram of splenda sweetens like 4 grams of sugar.

This can make a difference if you're using the powdered stuff and need it for bulk in cooking.

If you're just using it to sweeten beverages or yogurt or cottage cheese, it's worth it to get the liquid and have zero calories. The brand I get even includes handy little travel size bottles with your order.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    For all of those who are saying "But everything has calories except water" - I don't think the idea was for things that literally have no calories, but for ideas of foods that have nearly zero calories. For some of us volume eaters, those foods make a huge difference. There is an enormous calorie difference between eating 36 oz. of peanut butter vs. eating 2 gallons of pickles. Yes, pickles have calories, but it is so close to zero that eating in large quantities when hungry is rarely going to put someone over their calories goals unless they are already at or above their daily limit.

I'm pretty sure these types of foods with very low calorie content for high volumes of food is what OP is looking for.

Maybe not, but sodium can be a huge consideration for many people and pickles are high in sodium.

Yes, that is true. Since I need significantly more sodium than most people, pickles are another way I can get that. I even save the juice from pickles so I can drink it when experiencing major electrolyte depletion. As it gets warmer outside and as I'm becoming more active, this is a bigger and bigger issue. In fact, I sometimes use those electrolyte tablets (Nuun, for example). A few years ago, I laughed at the idea and couldn't understand why anyone would really need to supplement sodium. Now, if I'm running trails and won't be home soon to get to my pickle juice stash, those tablets are a god-send.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened tea.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    For relatively low-cal I eat cauliflower or cucumber with or without hummus, an apple, or a small piece of chocolate with a cup of coffee. Even if it's 100 calories, it's worth it to me if it keeps me happy for a couple of hours until a meal or bigger snack!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Salad stuff. Berries. Sugar free jello with light cool whip. Hot tea with sweetener. Chicken broth.
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots!! I could eat those all day - and I'm a muncher so it's super helpful when I just want to eat ANYTHING
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My low calorie food when I need to eat volume is sugar free gelatin, but I do not buy Jello, their sugar free versions have an odd taste. I make my own with plain gelatin and crystal light packets or Mio drops. I also have been know to use diet soda (as long as I can boil a cup of it without making it taste funny).

1 Tbl (or 1 packet) unflavored gelatin
    2 cups water (one boiling, second one cold)
    1 packet crystal light or the equivalent of flavor drops

Gelatin = 30 calories, 7 g protein, no fat or carbs
    Flavoring = 5-10 calories depending on the brand and flavor

BTW: Pineapple Crush drink packets from the Dollar Store makes great gelatin
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Free food would be green tea (no sweeteners). Super low cal for me are berries...especially blackberries and blueberries...yummy, filling and full of antioxidants. I have also been known to munch on a piece of cucumber at times....
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options

There's a difference in sweetening power per gram, though. A gram of splenda sweetens like 4 grams of sugar.

This can make a difference if you're using the powdered stuff and need it for bulk in cooking.

If you're just using it to sweeten beverages or yogurt or cottage cheese, it's worth it to get the liquid and have zero calories. The brand I get even includes handy little travel size bottles with your order.

May I ask what brand of liquid sucralose you would reccommend? I just started using Splenda and I was unaware of the 3 calories per gram too. I would love to try it but I see so many different ones on Amazon including one made by Splenda and I'm not sure what to look out for. Thank you!
  • sammyloopoo
    sammyloopoo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love to snack on purple cabbage... so random but it's as crunchy as chips!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    ElvenToad wrote: »

May I ask what brand of liquid sucralose you would reccommend? I just started using Splenda and I was unaware of the 3 calories per gram too. I would love to try it but I see so many different ones on Amazon including one made by Splenda and I'm not sure what to look out for. Thank you!

I've tried another brand before, but have come to prefer the delivery system for SucraDrops. Plus the little travel size is adorable.